Tube of delight!

• Index
  •  » Links
  •  » Yoshio Kurahashi Scores....free

#1 2009-03-23 09:56:59

jaybeemusic

Yoshio Kurahashi Scores....free

Hi Everyone....

i just stumbled onto Yoshio Kurahashi's japanese website and he's got a bunch of scores in .PDF format available for free download.

here it is...

http://sound.jp/mujuan/

Enjoy

Jacques

It's better to keep your mouth closed and let people "think" that you're stupid, than to open it, and remove all doubt.

#2 2009-03-23 11:51:59

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Yoshio Kurahashi Scores....free

Here is a direct link to the page with the PDFs:

http://sound.jp/mujuan/music.html

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2009-03-23 11:57:57

jaybeemusic

thanks edosan

but i didn't put that link because there's a sankyoku piece that people won't see if they use that link...and you can't get back to the homepage to find it.  i didn't want people to miss out.  they're hard enough to find already... LOL

jacques

It's better to keep your mouth closed and let people "think" that you're stupid, than to open it, and remove all doubt.

#4 2009-03-23 12:05:32

Seth

On one hand, the bigger one, this is a fantastic resource for people.  It is really about time that honkyoku was typed up in a standardized template that is clear and easy to read.  (And you can't get more accessable than this!

But on the other hand, the smaller one, this type of notation does really kill off one of the beautiful aspects of studying shakuhachi:  the often gorgeous caligraphy used to notate the music. 

Some original honkyoku notations are original works of art that can can create the presence of beauty without even a shakuhaci in the room! 

Anyone out there willing to scan and post some exceptional examples of shakuhachi music notation?

#5 2009-03-23 13:06:59

edosan
Edomologist

jaybeemusic wrote:

thanks edosan

but i didn't put that link because there's a sankyoku piece that people won't see if they use that link...and you can't get back to the homepage to find it.  i didn't want people to miss out.  they're hard enough to find already... LOL

jacques

Direct link to the Sankyoku PDF (download): http://sound.jp/mujuan/Manzai.pdf smile

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#6 2009-03-23 15:53:40

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Couple of interesting questions. I wonder why Kurahashi Sensei bothered making these on the computer when he could just use his father's or Jin Nyodo's notation?

And he has also transcribed them into Tozan, but I thought one of the main identifying characteristics of Tozan is that they don't play traditional honkyoku? You'd think if they want to learn they would just study Kinko or Myoan and then they wouldn't need to use Tozan notation. Nevertheless I suppose it's nice if Kurahashi is teaching a group lesson for the Tozan players to be able to play along. Or maybe he's trying to indoctrinate Tozan players into honkyoku.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#7 2009-03-23 21:43:56

Seth

Tairaku wrote:

Couple of interesting questions. I wonder why Kurahashi Sensei bothered making these on the computer when he could just use his father's or Jin Nyodo's notation?

And he has also transcribed them into Tozan, but I thought one of the main identifying characteristics of Tozan is that they don't play traditional honkyoku? You'd think if they want to learn they would just study Kinko or Myoan and then they wouldn't need to use Tozan notation. Nevertheless I suppose it's nice if Kurahashi is teaching a group lesson for the Tozan players to be able to play along. Or maybe he's trying to indoctrinate Tozan players into honkyoku.

At Kurahashi's group sessions in NY he uses these sheets and I have heard him say he uses them because there were some inconsistent and unclear notation practices in his father's notation.

#8 2009-03-24 02:05:34

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

There are those who find Tozan notation easier to read and Kurahashi might be in that camp.  Personally, I don't find one easier to read than the other.  How do others feel?

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#9 2009-03-24 03:09:03

Bruce Hunter

Kino, Tozan, European Do-Re-Mi, Xiao 1-2-3, String Tab, Shape Notes, Mensural Notation, etc.. I would opine that the notation one finds easiest to read is the notation one has been exposed to/chosen to become fluent in. It's an exact parallel to "Which clef do you find it easiest to play." If you're fluent, they're easy, if you're not they aren't.

later...

Develop infallible technique and then lay yourself at the mercy of inspiration. - Anon.

#10 2009-03-24 03:50:49

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Kurahashi learned Kinko first but lives in Kansai, which is Tozan turf. He interacts with a lot of Tozan people so obviously he communicates with them in Tozan. He reads both fluently. It is said that "professional" shakuhachi players should be able to read Tozan, Kinko and Western. If they want to be journeymen.

Tozan is better at notating certain musical ideas. Kinko and Tozan are both equally difficult or easy depending upon your viewpoint.

Now is an opening for someone (wonder who wink) to advocate another system as being better than either.

#11 2009-03-24 06:13:58

Bogert

My Tozan teacher is Kurahashi's friend : )  Morita sensei.

理趣経百字の偈
菩薩勝慧者 乃至尽生死 恒作衆生利 而不趣涅槃 般若及方便 智度悉加持 諸法及諸有    一切皆清浄 欲等調世間 令得浄除故 
有頂及悪趣 調伏尽諸有 如蓮体本染 不為垢所染    諸欲性亦然 不染利群生 大欲得清浄 大安楽富饒 三界得自在 能作堅固利

#12 2009-03-24 13:47:15

edosan
Edomologist

Tairaku wrote:

Kurahashi learned Kinko first but lives in Kansai, which is Tozan turf. He interacts with a lot of Tozan people so obviously he communicates with them in Tozan. He reads both fluently. It is said that "professional" shakuhachi players should be able to read Tozan, Kinko and Western. If they want to be journeymen.

And of course, Chikuho [entered on behalf of Riley Lee smile!]

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#13 2009-03-24 16:21:41

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

edosan wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

And of course, Chikuho [entered on behalf of Riley Lee smile!]

I left the opening for Riley............but you jumped in!

#14 2009-03-24 21:16:09

David Duncavage

I studied with Kurahashi Sensei from 1984-90 in Kyoto.  During that period, Kurahashi Sensei taught me Jin Nyodo's pieces, Sankyoku (actually alot of sankyoku--more than I wnated in the beginning but later I loved it), Kinko ryu, and a fair number of Tozan pieces in Tozan notation, as well as Western notation pieces.  During that period we used to have monthly Mujuan concerts at various locations and the dojo led by Kurahashi Sensei played pieces from different traditions.  One of the greatest things I learned from Kurahashi Sensei is respect for all traditions.  Life is too short and people's sufferings are too great to argue about which tradition has "ït right".  This I think is one of the great success stories of this website.  Everyone is welcome and respected.  Let's keep it up.

#15 2009-04-20 15:26:58

jaybeemusic

Does anybody know what software/program that he used to make this notation?  and maybe where you could get it?

thanks

jacques

#16 2009-04-20 18:19:35

Dun Romin

Exactly that one he uses, I wouldn't know, but I simply use the ShakuKana out of my (Windows) fonts. Has a nice easy to memorize systematic on the keyboard.

Tomorrow's wind only blows tomorrow. (Koji)

#17 2009-04-20 22:22:08

Glenn Swann
Website

thanks alot for link- i had no idea he had these posted! perfect timing- i recently got a cd with manzai on it and don't have the  score!
it is invaluable to be able to read all 3- tozan, kinko and western. western is by far my weakest- those lines and dots all look alike! i started w/ kinko, but was obliged to learn tozan(and staff as well) because so many modern pieces are not in kinko.
chikuho is very interesting indeed. since Riley sensei is visiting Princeton I've been auditing the class he is teaching with Tom Hare, and been using the excuse to learn chikuho notation. i hadn't known before that the katakana used(フ、ホ、ウ、エ、ヤ rather than ロ、ツ、レ チ リ) are from the older hitoyogiri notation.... Prof. Hare included a reconstruction of an old hitoyogiri folksong in one lecture. fascinating. i agree, all 3 of the shakuhachi-school  systems are equally doable, one just has to come to each with a blank slate and not compare it too much to the 1st one learned.

Last edited by Glenn Swann (2009-04-20 22:25:30)

I followed rivers, I followed orders,I followed prophets, I followed leaders
I followed rivers, I followed highways,I followed conscience,
I followed dreamers... And I'm back here,
and I'm back here... At the edge of the sky       (New Model Army)

• Index
  •  » Links
  •  » Yoshio Kurahashi Scores....free

Board footer