Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-03-19 21:27:30

Zakarius

Notation for muraiki?

I found the notation for muraiki in JFLagrost's glossary (thanks, by the way)... but I'm wondering if there's a abbreviated version usually written on scores. I've seen double verticle lines to the right of notes which sometimes are played as muraiki and at other times simply played forte.

Zak -- jinashi size queen

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#2 2008-03-21 08:52:24

JF Lagrost
Shihan/Tozan Ryu
Website

Re: Notation for muraiki?

Zakarius wrote:

I've seen double verticle lines to the right of notes which sometimes are played as muraiki and at other times simply played forte.

I don't know any abbreviated sign for muraiki in Tozan traditional notation. If the double verticle lines you speak about are crossed, that means it's a grace note and nothing else. It may be played muraiki or not, it depends to the piece, context, etc. Your teacher will be useful here because muraiki is often not written.

I see you live in Taiwan. I was in Taipei a few weeks ago and I wondered if shakuhachi is known in Taiwan, if there are a lot of players/teachers/students...

#3 2008-03-21 10:54:59

Zakarius

JF Lagrost wrote:

I don't know any abbreviated sign for muraiki in Tozan traditional notation. If the double verticle lines you speak about are crossed, that means it's a grace note and nothing else. It may be played muraiki or not, it depends to the piece, context, etc. Your teacher will be useful here because muraiki is often not written.

Thanks for the response. I'm working through Taniguchi's Bosatsu (http://www.komuso.com/pieces/Bosatsu.html) and the notation is incredibly obscure, especially for someone like me who has only been playing for 20 months. I intend to rewrite a detailed score with a calligraphy brush and make it public domain. (I love this piece!) If nothing else, this will help me learn the piece and give me something to fall back on if my memory ever fails. (Obviously, I don't want to litter the calligraphy with the word MURAIKI scribbled in...)

JF Lagrost wrote:

I see you live in Taiwan. I was in Taipei a few weeks ago and I wondered if shakuhachi is known in Taiwan, if there are a lot of players/teachers/students...

Taiwan was occupied by Japan from 1895 to 1945, and thus has a lot of Japanese cultural influences. I don't live in the capital but in the 3rd largest city (Taichung... pronounced 'Tai-jong') in the central area. I only know of one person in the city who has a shakuhachi and he doesn't play honkyoku -- though he's an expert xiao player. As far as I have gathered, Taipei (pronounced 'Tai-bay') has quite a few shakuhachi enthusiasts, but most play minyo or Chinese folk songs instead of honkyoku.

Out of curiosity, what brought you to Taiwan?

Zak -- jinashi size queen

Last edited by Zakarius (2008-03-21 10:56:34)

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#4 2008-03-22 13:11:36

Zakarius

Thanks a lot... seems like: ムラ息!

Zak

#5 2008-03-23 08:35:19

JF Lagrost
Shihan/Tozan Ryu
Website

Zakarius wrote:

Out of curiosity, what brought you to Taiwan?

I was invited to give a flute masterclass in Taipei for 1 week. After the final concert I played Kôgetsu chô : nobody in the public seemed to know the shakuhachi ; but they loved it indeed !

Hope I'll be able to come back before long (probably in Feb. 2009).

#6 2009-01-04 06:33:51

blowbamboo
Website

hi, everybody,

I am newcomer in this forum, I come from Taiwan, I study in Tainan National University of The Arts, The Graduate Institute of Ethnomusicology.

I play Xiao and Shakuhachi, If you are in Taiwan, and need any Help, you can contact with me.

This is my Blog in Chinese:
http://tw.myblog.yahoo.com/blowbamboo/

MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/blowbamboo

Welcome to Taiwan. smile

#7 2009-01-05 01:35:07

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Hi Blowbamboo
Welcome to the forum! Do they teach shakuhachi at Tainan National University of The Arts? If so, what do they teach?

Best wishes from Japan
Justin Senryu
http://senryushakuhachi.com/

#8 2009-02-11 11:39:14

blowbamboo
Website

Justin wrote:

Hi Blowbamboo
Welcome to the forum! Do they teach shakuhachi at Tainan National University of The Arts? If so, what do they teach?

Hi Justin Senryu,

In TNNUA, They don't teach shakuhachi. They teach westen music and Chinese traditional music. But, in The Graduate Institute of Ethnomusicology, because they focuses on the ability to play more than one instrument. In addition to performances with Chinese musical instruments, attention is also given to performance with, and research of, non-Chinese musical instruments.

I am doing some research about shakuhachi now.

I play Dizi and Xiao before, I learn shakuhachi too. But I learn shakuhachi before I came in TNNUA.

If student want to learn shakuhachi, he have to find a teach outside of TNNUA.

Sincerely,

Blowbamboo
Tsai, Hungwen

#9 2009-02-14 10:13:50

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Hi Blowbamboo
Should we call you Tsai, or Hungwen? Is it your name? (Sorry).
Thanks for the explanation.
How do you feel about shakuhachi in relation/compared with xiao? Do you only play Chinese music on xiao and Japanese on shakuhachi? I also love xiao. I studied for a while when I lived in China. Lovely together with guchin too. (Is that popular where you are too, xiao together with guchin?)

Best wishes
Justin Senryu

Last edited by Justin (2009-02-14 10:14:25)

#10 2009-04-08 12:48:13

blowbamboo
Website

Justin wrote:

Hi Blowbamboo
Should we call you Tsai, or Hungwen? Is it your name? (Sorry).
Thanks for the explanation.
How do you feel about shakuhachi in relation/compared with xiao? Do you only play Chinese music on xiao and Japanese on shakuhachi? I also love xiao. I studied for a while when I lived in China. Lovely together with guchin too. (Is that popular where you are too, xiao together with guchin?)

Best wishes
Justin Senryu.4

Hi Justin,

I am sorry for late to reply.

"Tsai" is my family name, "Hungwen" is my given name.

About shakuhachi and xiao, I think that is different.  Maybe thousand years ago they are same. Nowadays, it is similar, but different. So that, I always play Chinese music on xiao and Japanese on shakuhachi, but sometimes mix both. tongue

Sometimes we play xiao with guchin too. Sometimes we also play xiao with guzhing, just like shakuhachi with koto.

Last month,  I visited Tokyo, my friend Akihito Obama told me something about your passion on shakuhachi.
I am glad to hear that you like xiao and had studied it too.

Very nice to meet you.

Hungwen

Last edited by blowbamboo (2009-04-08 12:54:09)

Board footer