Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-04-17 17:30:07

PSmith

Jinashi Reference Library

Shimura Zenho (or Satoshi) at Osaka Fine Arts University is opening a jinashi reference library near the Osaka Symphony Hall. No information is available yet. But my friend Koji found this blog (in Japanese) introducing the library. You can get a sense of how it looks like from the pictures.

http://kototoshakuhachi.at.webry.info/2 … le_25.html

You may want to visit the museum during your next trip to Japan.

Also, this blog (run by a female player) mentions a DVD by Yokoyama Katsuya playing a jinashi in 1997. Do you know anything about it?

#2 2009-04-17 19:00:41

ABRAXAS

Re: Jinashi Reference Library

That is funny, I was reading another blog today by a woman in Japan who mentioned her visit to a Shakuhachi shop to buy the Yokoyama Katsuya DVD.

"Shakuhachi music stirs up both gods and demons." -- Ikkyu.

#3 2009-04-18 01:13:31

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

This is excellent! It is really happening. The jinashi reference library or archive is opening!
This is basically Simura Satosi's (or Simura Zenpo) lifework. He was talking a lot about it when I was in Osaka in 2007. It was his big dream. At that time the difficult task was to figure out what kind of staff was needed in such a place and to find funding to pay for staff. He wanted the visitors to be able to touch the shakuhachi - but that would require more staff than if everything was in glass montres. They must have found a solution.
I was thinking he had been very slow in communicating lately. Now I know what he has been up to.
It will be very exciting to see it !
If anyone goes there, please let us hear about it!

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#4 2009-04-18 01:54:56

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Jinashi is like church. Many attend but few understand. Onward Jinashi Warriors!

What does the website say?

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#5 2009-04-18 08:17:34

Josh
PhD
Website

It's already open guys. If you're ever in Umeda, Osaka,  you gotta check it out. You can play and compare a lot of different jinashi; old ones like Kogetsu and stuff from Shosoin, hitoyogiri, tenpuku etc.
There are videos of Shimura sensei's jinashi recitals as well as a video of Yokoyama Katsuya's 97 performances on jinashi. It really is a wealth of info (in Japanese) but lots of hands on fun stuff for all us jinashi nuts.

#6 2009-04-18 08:28:36

marek
Website

Please, can you post some more specific info in English?
Like the address and stuff. Is worth going there without understanding Japanese?

Cheers,

Marek

In passionate silence, the sound is what I'm after.

#7 2009-04-18 10:11:40

Josh
PhD
Website

I'll ask Shimura sensei for the exact address but it is right near the Osaka Symphony Hall. The nearest staion is the Fukushima station, but it's walking distance from Umeda as well. There is a convenient store right in front of the Symphony Hall, and the jinashi museum is right next store. I think it's worth goinfg if you want to try out the different flutes and you can get the makers name and some other general info. The DVDs and recordings are there too so you will be aurally and visually stimulated smile But without knowledge of the Japanese language the texts probably won't do you much good. But still some good pictures. If you tried to contact Shimura sensei and set up a time, maybe him, Izukawa Hidefumi (one of his students who does ok in English) or possibly even myself could arange to show you around if necessary. Don't expect the Smithsonian, but there is a lot of cool stuff there.

Last edited by Josh (2009-04-18 10:13:24)

#8 2009-04-18 12:54:04

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Josh wrote:

It's already open guys. If you're ever in Umeda, Osaka,  you gotta check it out. You can play and compare a lot of different jinashi; old ones like Kogetsu and stuff from Shosoin, hitoyogiri, tenpuku etc.
There are videos of Shimura sensei's jinashi recitals as well as a video of Yokoyama Katsuya's 97 performances on jinashi. It really is a wealth of info (in Japanese) but lots of hands on fun stuff for all us jinashi nuts.

Sounds like heaven.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#9 2009-04-18 12:58:20

Bogert

That's awesome. Wish I saw this post earlier.. I was just in Umeda.... If its open tomorrow maybe I can go : )

Last edited by Bogert (2009-04-18 12:59:32)

理趣経百字の偈
菩薩勝慧者 乃至尽生死 恒作衆生利 而不趣涅槃 般若及方便 智度悉加持 諸法及諸有    一切皆清浄 欲等調世間 令得浄除故 
有頂及悪趣 調伏尽諸有 如蓮体本染 不為垢所染    諸欲性亦然 不染利群生 大欲得清浄 大安楽富饒 三界得自在 能作堅固利

#10 2009-04-20 11:41:12

Josh
PhD
Website

Hey Chris (anyone else in the Osaka area),
  The place isn't open all of the time. Shimura sensei is pretty much running it himself and is usually at school Wed-Fri.
So the best times are weekends and Mondays, although this also depands on his performing schedule as well. I guess he'll be there alot but he said it's best to contact him first to check if he will be there to open it.
As of now it's free of charge but he is basically renting out an apartment, so he said we will have to see how we can keep this place up and running for the long hall. He didn't say anything, but a small donation would probably be nice.

By the way, tonight at the top Kansai teachers twice a year honkyoku concert (Ishikawa Toshimitsu, Okada Michiaki, Shimura "Zenpou" Satoshi, Nagahiro Kouzan, Yonemura Reisho, and Kurahashi Yoshio)  Shimura played a great Mukaiji on the actual flute Higuchi Taizan used for this piece. I believe he keeps it in the museum as well for all to try if they wish.

If you want to contact Shimura about the place and when he'll be there it's probably best to email:
jinashi_shakuhachi@live.jp

Last edited by Josh (2009-05-25 10:13:33)

#11 2009-09-19 09:27:57

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Is anybody - by chance - going to the jinashi museum during the next week or so - or don't mind going there?
I'd really like some info from there, but feel a little shy to ask Shimura, who has already done so much. So.... in case you are going, do email me, please.
Today is 19 September 2009 smile
Thanks!

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

Board footer