Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-05-07 13:10:48

Bogert

Anyone play as part of a Buddhist practice?

I noticed the zen forum bit was closed and so was the religion etc.. one.. so I posted here in the misc. section.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone plays honkyoku as a part of a daily Buddhist practice? 
Before I was e-mailing back and forth with a shakuhachi researcher named Maekawa Kogetsu. 
He told me he always plays in front of the butsudan, or in temples and whatnot. 
It certainly seems to be an active part of his Buddhist practice. 

I've begun a sort of practice like that (from today).  It is still in the works though.  I'll try to give an idea of what it involves:
The use is in two parts, first being an offering of sound. This is part of the offerings to pay respect to the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas.
Secondly as a meditation practice.
I begin the  meditation portion like a normal meditation, in that I first prostrate to the honzon out of respect 3 times.  Ring a bell 3 times. Then I prepare the body, breath and the mind.  Then I play choshi, followed by whatever pieces I'm studying at the time.  Finished I ring the bell to end the session, return the shakuhachi to the butsudan and prostrate 3 times again.   
Although not always meditative.. especially with new pieces that you don't know so well.. it does put your mind in the proper mindset.

If you do play in this method (in front of the butsudan), please explain your way of going about it and what it means to you. 
I'd be interested to hear responses on this. 

Chris

理趣経百字の偈
菩薩勝慧者 乃至尽生死 恒作衆生利 而不趣涅槃 般若及方便 智度悉加持 諸法及諸有    一切皆清浄 欲等調世間 令得浄除故 
有頂及悪趣 調伏尽諸有 如蓮体本染 不為垢所染    諸欲性亦然 不染利群生 大欲得清浄 大安楽富饒 三界得自在 能作堅固利

#2 2009-05-07 16:44:00

PSmith

Re: Anyone play as part of a Buddhist practice?

At Daihonzan Chozen-ji in Honolulu they use shakuhachi as part of their regular Buddhist practice.  Kyoen Honda Roshi came to Vancouver and Seattle and gave a talk on their practice.  He stresses focus on out-breath with your whole mental and physical being, and later, improvisation.  "Who is playing shakuachi?" He has his students walk while playing; one step per breath.  They do not play from the formal honkyoku canon. 

It was interesting to hear how the shakuhachi was being used in a formal zendo setting.

Anyone interested can find more information here
http://zentour2008.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
http://www.chozen-ji.org/

This an associated group in Seattle lead by Reverend Diane Yen-Mei Wong.

#3 2009-05-07 19:30:18

Glenn Swann
Website

PSmith wrote:

At Daihonzan Chozen-ji in Honolulu they use shakuhachi as part of their regular Buddhist practice.  Kyoen Honda Roshi came to Vancouver and Seattle and gave a talk on their practice.  He stresses focus on out-breath with your whole mental and physical being, and later, improvisation.  "Who is playing shakuachi?" He has his students walk while playing; one step per breath.  They do not play from the formal honkyoku canon. 

It was interesting to hear how the shakuhachi was being used in a formal zendo setting.

Anyone interested can find more information here
http://zentour2008.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
http://www.chozen-ji.org/

This an associated group in Seattle lead by Reverend Diane Yen-Mei Wong.

thanks for that link- i had never heard of that temple before. shakuhachi/art, martial arts and zen and their inter-relationships pretty much defines my own practice, nice to hear of a place that makes it part of formal practice.

Bogert- I do play honkyoku daily in my meditation room, in series with okyo and zazen, much as you decribed. I would suggest only playing pieces you are comfortable with, ideally have memorized, otherwise Practice will be too focused on practice (as in technique) i often just play choshi and leave it at that. I try to blow in the same spirit as the preceding (or subsequent) okyo, and include dedication of merit to all beings afterward- basically fostering a feeling of kansha, or gratitude to even be able to engage in this practice.

It is worth noting again that these are kind of modern uses of shakuhachi in meditation- in this forum and elsewhere it has been gone over many many times that what exactly the historical komuso did with shakuhachi as suizen (or didn't do) is basically unclear and open to endless postulation.

Last edited by Glenn Swann (2009-05-07 19:39:30)

I followed rivers, I followed orders,I followed prophets, I followed leaders
I followed rivers, I followed highways,I followed conscience,
I followed dreamers... And I'm back here,
and I'm back here... At the edge of the sky       (New Model Army)

#4 2009-05-07 20:22:54

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

I do at our tea house, Chado. We have a Fuke shrine I light incense before and then I blow honkyoku. Intention is to bring some Buddhism into the lives of the customers and workers. Myself as well of course.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#5 2009-05-08 01:12:05

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

PSmith wrote:

At Daihonzan Chozen-ji in Honolulu they use shakuhachi as part of their regular Buddhist practice.

This was very interesting information. Thank you for posting the link.
Oh - so the chadō in Hobart has a Fuke shrine. Nice. smile
In my new home we have a meditation room. That's also where my shakuhachi are and where I play.
It feels like a good combination.

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#6 2009-05-08 01:48:45

Josh
PhD
Website

Interesting post Chris,
  On Feb. 10th, 2009, a ceremony was held for me at Taima Temple-Naka no Bou (a Shingon temple related to Koyasan). I was extremely honored to receive official recognition as "Master Performer" for the temple. I basically perform at their various ceremonies and events, sometimes along with Shomyo chanters etc. The temple is affiliated with Shingon Shomyo and recognizes the connection between music/action and reilgion/spirituality.
Have a look at the ceremony in the "pictures" section of my website.
This kind of title is often given to the temple's recognized Buddhist statue sculptor's, shomyo (Buddhist chant) singers, Horagai (conch-shell horn) players etc. As far as we know, it's the first title given to a shakuhachi performer. Aside from spurratic events there, each month on the 16th I perform/offer some honkyoku and other songs at a small ceremony/blessing (Michibiki Kanon), as well as discuss the songs and their meanings.  The atmosphere of the temple really opens people's ears and minds to the sounds of the shakuhachi, often creating an interesting experience that many people would not be open too in their daily lives. 
I've also played at the Daishi-do and Hondo at all of the temples along the Shikoku pilgrimage. But really anywhere you play, at home or somewhere else, playing with the right mind is the most important part of.

#7 2009-05-08 06:24:29

purehappiness

I am trying to play mine as part of meditation. Although, I am still learning(3 1/2 months). I do find it relaxing.

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#8 2009-05-08 07:45:16

Bogert

Wow Josh, that's really cool.  Where is the temple located?  I'd love to come out and see you play there sometime. 
By the way a while back I think I saw your poster for a concert at a temple while I was doing a small pilgrimage "大和十三佛霊場巡礼"
It was a Shingon pilgrimage. 
Thanks everyone for your replies, interesting to know.

理趣経百字の偈

#9 2009-05-08 20:39:19

Josh
PhD
Website

Hey Chris,
  Thanks. Maybe you did see me, I think Taimadera is part of the temples on the meguri list you mentioned. Taimadera temple about a 10 min walk from Taimadera eki (station) on the Kintetsu Minami Osaka line. Which is about 30 min. from Abenobashi (Tennoji) in Osaka.  June 16th there is a large ceremony called Kami-Kuyo, in which everyone gives a small piece, like a millimeter, of hair in honor of Princess Chujyo, 中将姫. There will be some other monks attending and doing some chanting as well and maybe Horagai. It's outside in the temple under the whisteria trees in front of her grave. The website's in Japanese but here it is:
http://www.taimadera.org/

#10 2009-05-09 06:53:09

Bogert

Yeah, I went there.  I actually might have that day off next month.. but my schedule is always changing.. hopefully I can make it to that ceremony.  Sounds interesting.  I don't really know the Princess though.. If your playing though it will be good.

理趣経百字の偈

Board footer