Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-05-20 14:34:43

Vevolis
Website

Repairs to Shakuhachi Yuu

I just bought a Shakuhachi Yuu off ebay at a very reasonable price because we're coming up on cottage season, my bamboo flute spends much of it's time indoors.There is some very very minor damage i'd like to fix to avoid future damage. The utaguchi has a very tiny chip that doesn't seem to effect playability. (It's maybe 1mm deep) Is there an inexpensive product I can fill it with? How would I do this?

Also the top joint ring has a crack in it, I'd like to fill it with some crazy glue or just duct tape over it. Is there a way to quickly repair it with minor aesthetics in mind?

Thank you,
Scott

#2 2009-05-20 16:37:59

Yooper

Re: Repairs to Shakuhachi Yuu

If the chip doesn't affect the playability, why not consider just leaving it alone?  A "fix" might not improve it.

As to the joint ring, the first thing I thought of is a monofilament binding.  Noninvasive, and easy to remove later on if you want to do something else.  To my mind, duct tape and aesthetics are generally incompatible, but of course your tastes may vary from mine.  But any tape may leave a sticky residue that's difficult to remove.

"Simple and artless."

#3 2009-05-20 17:02:02

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Repairs to Shakuhachi Yuu

Yooper wrote:

If the chip doesn't affect the playability, why not consider just leaving it alone?  A "fix" might not improve it.

As to the joint ring, the first thing I thought of is a monofilament binding.  Noninvasive, and easy to remove later on if you want to do something else.  To my mind, duct tape and aesthetics are generally incompatible, but of course your tastes may vary from mine.  But any tape may leave a sticky residue that's difficult to remove.

I'm with Yooper, although I'd go one step further and glue the two pieces together and be done with it. Don't want any leaks at that joint. Shakuhachi's hard enough to play without leaks. smile

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

Board footer