Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-06-19 04:49:27

michaeljking

Looking for old book with shakuhachi making chapter

I am looking for a book, probably published in the 1980's that was all about japanese crafts including Tatami mat making, brush, lantern making, seal cutting, bamboo whisk and a chapter on making Shakuhachi.
The shakuhachi chapter had a tokyo maker and also an american maker in japan making a 2 piece flute using dental plaster.
This book was found in my local library in London 10 years ago and at cheltenham library where I live around 5 years ago also had a copy of the book but i cannot remember now the exact title, or the author/publisher and cannot locate it.

I thought if anyone would be aware of this book or knew its title it would be this part of the forum!

The book is a source of inspiration rather than any practical use like Monty's book or Ken Lacosse's booklet.

#2 2009-05-21 06:02:04

michaeljking

Re: Looking for old book with shakuhachi making chapter

I found the book eventually!!!    Its Japanese Crafts by John Lowe(photos by Mark Lowe) 1983

there are 10 pages on shakuhachi making following Kazen Zenmura-san   with 2 colour pictures,    the rest of the book has a other crafts...lanterns, brushes, tatami etc     

It was the book that first interested me in Shakuhachi as a teenager so Its great having a copy again.

#3 2009-05-21 07:55:28

Ambi

Hi Michael, Thanks for this, I think I had the same experience: I certainly read a generic Japanese crafts book in the '80s, which along with Yoshikazu Iwamoto Spirit of winds CD also from Leeds library started me on all this too.
Only took 20 years to get to the point where I bought one and started trying to play.
Now you've given me a title I'll have to see if I can find it in the system again

Cheers

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."

#4 2009-05-21 10:14:35

edosan
Edomologist

michaeljking wrote:

I found the book eventually!!!    Its Japanese Crafts by John Lowe(photos by Mark Lowe) 1983

there are 10 pages on shakuhachi making following Kazen Zenmura-san   with 2 colour pictures,    the rest of the book has a other crafts...lanterns, brushes, tatami etc     

It was the book that first interested me in Shakuhachi as a teenager so Its great having a copy again.

As is my wont, I had a peek, and it's available at Amazon, through several sellers (from $9.00 to $100.00; not sure why that is) in hardcover, used, in good condition. First edition, even:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ … dition=all

Not sure how useful this will be for UK members.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#5 2009-05-21 13:10:55

dust

imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete.

#6 2009-05-21 19:44:37

Derek Van Choice
Website

#7 2009-05-21 22:12:53

ABRAXAS

I've had the most luck with secondhand books here: www.abebooks.com

"Shakuhachi music stirs up both gods and demons." -- Ikkyu.

Board footer