Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-05-25 13:40:46

heyjude

Tai Hei Student or Tai Hei Meditation?

I'm watching this one on ebay, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … 00wt_1182, and the description states that it's a Student model with cast bore but the pictures show what appears to be a natural bore. Any thoughts?
I contacted the seller but I don't think he's convinced that I might know what I'm talking about. He stated that when he bought it he was told it was a Student model.
Thanks for looking,

Jude

"Man cannot live on bread alone, he must have peanut butter" - Kruger Bear

#2 2009-05-25 16:00:40

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Tai Hei Student or Tai Hei Meditation?

heyjude wrote:

I'm watching this one on ebay, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … 00wt_1182, and the description states that it's a Student model with cast bore but the pictures show what appears to be a natural bore. Any thoughts?
I contacted the seller but I don't think he's convinced that I might know what I'm talking about. He stated that when he bought it he was told it was a Student model.
Thanks for looking,

Jude

Probably not a 'real' student model, which, strictly speaking, are all cast bore flutes suitable for learning traditional music. This is a lower model, a 'meditation' flute made by Monty with a natural bore, with relatively limited performance. Here's a link to that product on his website:

http://shakuhachi.com/Q-Models-Practice.html

Note that I said 'strictly speaking'; the seller may make the argument that it's a student flute, but it ain't, according to Monty.

Last edited by edosan (2009-05-25 16:03:58)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2009-05-25 16:45:06

Lorka

I saw that same flute earlier today when doing a little browse around on ebay.  Anyways Heyjude, Edosan is very right.  I dount very much that thing is a real student model.  I agree that it looks like a simple meditation flute.  If you want a proper student flute then steer clear of that one, as the seller seems to not know what he's talking about.   Best advice: don't get it.

This is just an opinion now, so take it as such.  I like Monty's flutes (I have a root-end 1.8 and a 2.3), but I would strongly urge you to just save up and get a root-end pro level flute.  The student flute is good and serves a purpose, but it is an interim instrument.  Once you have it, you will be looking ahead to a root-end (once you go root, you can never go back).  In practical terms, this means that you will probably end up selling off the student model and may end up spending more money in the long-run by constantly upgrading.  So, why not  save yourself the bother and save up a little bit longer for a flute that is "a keeper."  Others may disagree with this approach, but I think it is a good one.  I think it was Riley Lee who said something along the lines of, get a flute that is way better than your playing ability, as it leaves you plenty of room to grow with the instrument.  Seems like a good idea to me.  If you are in the market for a 1.8, there is usually one to be found here (and usually at a fair price).  Forum members tend to offer here first at a slightly lower rate before resorting to ebay.  Anyways, I hope this helps a little.

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#4 2009-05-25 17:23:14

heyjude

Thanks much. Your posts concur with what I was thinking. We've got several good flutes by Perry Yung so I'm not needing another flute. I just thought if this one looked promising until I looked closely at the pictures.

Jude

*The listing has been edited by the seller. It's now listed as a meditative flute and starting bid has also been lowered.

Last edited by heyjude (2009-05-26 03:01:40)

"Man cannot live on bread alone, he must have peanut butter" - Kruger Bear

#5 2009-05-28 03:08:09

STUPID HIPPY

If you meditate you are a student and if you are a student you must meditate. Think about it.

Zen and Bamboo are one. Or is it two? Far out.

Board footer