Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#51 2009-06-30 04:02:53

Jim Thompson

Re: 35,000 year old discussion of noise vs. music and ethnomusicology

Justin wrote:

. When I got into the free improvisation scene, I was challenged to broaden my listening, to use any sound in music. Any sound at all (albeit with intention). For me that had great value, even in improving my expression of traditional music, by paying attention more to the minutest details in tone colour and space, perhaps in a more open way. It also gave me more and wider appreciation when listening to certain sounds or musics. Had I defined all that away as being "not music", I may not have gained those benefits.

Hey Justin,
     You are making my point. I have no problem with anybody calling anything music.  But my alarms  go off when people start calling things not music. For me, there is no such thing as "not music". The only reason I can see for someone to call something not music would be to convince others that he knows the difference which in doing so reveals that, indeed, he does not.
       You have demonstrated to me that there is good reason to keep an open mind about what is music but you've yet to show any purpose or use in defining something as not music. Again, am I overlooking something?
                                 Cheers
                                      Jim

" Who do you trust , me or your own eyes?" - Groucho Marx

#52 2009-06-30 04:32:50

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Justin wrote:

Kiku mentioned any humanly organised sound as being music.

Not that I really want to engage in a huge music discussion and go into details, but I feel I have to clarify this.
The Blacking quote was 'Music is humanly organised sound' and not 'any humanly organised sound is music'.

The difference is that in Blacking's quote there is the potential that any sound that humans have organised could be music. It is a potential and not a must that because humans have organised it - it is music. For example the siren of an ambulance is humanly organised - but that is to draw attention.

This broad definition - as I see it - was meant to avoid exactly what Jim is pointing at: People judging what is NOT music. The reason for this is problematic is that we are all conditioned in our perception. If your starting point is that 'music is humanly organised sound' then you would rather be thinking: this music appeals and talks to my soul; this music I don't understand - and not what is and what is not music.

I think Kel's question was good. It IS interesting to think about what these 35,000 year old flutes were used for. Music as we know it today or some other purpose. Thanks for asking this question, Kel.

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#53 2009-06-30 04:48:51

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Jim Thompson wrote:

You have demonstrated to me that there is good reason to keep an open mind about what is music but you've yet to show any purpose or use in defining something as not music. Again, am I overlooking something?
                                 Cheers
                                      Jim

Hi Jim
Well, I think this is straying further from the original topic which I thought was more of a simple question as to what the flute may have been used for. But I can have a go at answering your question. I should point out that for me it's the experience that comes first, and the inquiry that comes after. That is, I am not trying to abstractly come up with a definition. Perhaps it is that I listen to many playings of music and some strike me as musical, and some not. And I wonder, why is that? What is it that makes one musical (for me, of course) and one not? So my interest lies not in defining what is not music, but in why some sound activity I experience as not musical. What function that inquiry might have, may be that what it reveals may be useful in my own training and playing, and aim. I want my music to be musical, in that sense which I appreciate. So in order to aspire to that, it might help me to identify what it was that made it musical. What was it that was present? That may involve also recognizing the absence of that which made it musical, to really ascertain what it is which is necessary for it to be music (in my sense). If I can understand what is present in what I feel is "music", and what is absent in what I feel is "not music", that may help me as a musician.

I could be controversial and say that that musicality (in this sense) might not even be directly connected to pitch, rhythm or even technique (here I really mean "good" or "accurate" pitch, rhythm etc). At least sometimes I feel that way. I sometimes feel as if those things are merely aids in bridging the musician and the listener, keeping the transmission open by enabling a kind of trust. But without the essence which I am calling musicality, I think those things (pitch, rhythm, technique) can result in something which may superficially resemble music but is devoid of musicality. Like an empty boat.

This has been of direct importance to me as I have chosen to immerse myself in traditional musical training. I feel there is a danger in such training of getting too caught up in the parts, i.e. technique, and overlooking the whole. Of course I value technique and I do not mean to ignore established ways of playing. But to do so at the cost of loosing the essence one may bring through that vehicle, would be a great loss, and I believe the result could be technically brilliant while unfortunately being non-musical (in this sense).

I'm not sure if the essence can be taught. The music teachers I have had seem to focus on teaching the means of expression. As for essence, perhaps just their presence is what may teach. But what this tells me, is to make sure, on the path of technical training, that I do not loose sight of this which I find most essential.

Last edited by Justin (2009-06-30 05:15:31)

#54 2009-06-30 05:09:23

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Kiku Day wrote:

Justin wrote:

Kiku mentioned any humanly organised sound as being music.

Not that I really want to engage in a huge music discussion and go into details, but I feel I have to clarify this.
The Blacking quote was 'Music is humanly organised sound' and not 'any humanly organised sound is music'.

[...]

This broad definition - as I see it - was meant to avoid exactly what Jim is pointing at: People judging what is NOT music.

Hi Kiku
I guess I got the wrong end of the stick when I read how you first wrote it:

Kiku Day wrote:

In the study of ethnomusicology, music is usually defined as 'humanly organised sound'

Starting to make more sense now.
Interesting that it excludes non-humans. But then I suppose it would be biomusicology (or even geomusicology) rather than ethnomusicology wink

#55 2009-06-30 05:19:14

Karmajampa
Website

Is there a Muse in the room ?
If there is I have music, if there isn't, I don't.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#56 2009-06-30 10:04:57

radi0gnome
Website

Karmajampa wrote:

That Pygmie singing sounds similar to the Gamelon.

Kel.

And even more similar to Philip Glass. It kind of bugs me that Philip Glass mentions the Gamelon influence in interviews frequently but to my knowledge never said anything about the Baka pygmies. Field recordings of them were around since at least the '70's. On the CD that I have if you chose one of the tracks out of context and played it for someone familiar with Philip Glass but not the pygmies, they'd think it was Philip Glass, at least at first. I know because it happened when I played it for a co-worker of mine once that I knew disliked Philip Glass.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#57 2009-06-30 11:32:53

ABRAXAS

Justin wrote:

ABRAXAS wrote:

I once recorded the first 8 minutes of Fritz Lang's film THE TESTAMENT OF DR. MABUSE which takes place in a factory - there is no dialogue, just a blasting churning loud machine noise for 8 minutes - I boosted up the volume in a freeware audio program, added nothing but volume, gave the mp3 a name and sent it to an "Industrial" music radio program (run by people from a well-known Industrial record label), who played it on their show and praised not only my creativity but my audio-engineering skills. True story.

That's so funny! lol How about you - did you view it as "music"? Wasn't there some story about a monkey being trained to splash paint on a canvas and they passed it off as a modern art masterpiece? Interesting times. One part of me laughs at people reading great musical/artistic intention into something where it does not exist. And another part of me delights in an openness of mind or heart which may let them find beauty in randomness and nature's self-expression.

Actually I originally recorded it because I liked how it sounds. I like noise-music (NON, Merzbow, Yamakazi Takushi, etc.), but I don’t purchase music I can make myself with the flick of a switch. Not to disparage the genre, but there is a reason Merzbow has something like 100 CDs out; because it is easy to do. There is a whole subgenre of noise music, power electronics etc. and part of the guiding idea is that it is a DIY scene, there are no "fans" everyone does their own noise, and is completely promiscuous about re-sampling and recycling each other's noise without rancor. There are aspects of this that shed light on the parameters (or lack thereof) of "music" vs. "noise."

Last edited by ABRAXAS (2009-06-30 11:33:29)

"Shakuhachi music stirs up both gods and demons." -- Ikkyu.

#58 2009-06-30 12:00:29

Jim Thompson

Yo Justin,
         O.K. You've changed the subject from what is music or not music to what is musiCAL and what is not. I choose to take that as a yielding on the previous discussion.
          In the name of not boring everyone to death this will be my final post on this thread, I'll give you the last word. My parting thought(shot) is that if you continue to try to trap the essence of music with your intellect you will ultimately come up empty handed.  The spirit of music lies beyond analyses. beyond predictability, beyond possession and beyond control.  If I'm taking a hot bath the last thing I want is somebody standing there explaining all the scientific principals involved in heat transference etc. Science takes us to the many, religion takes us to the one.     
                      Take care my friend and watch out for those 10,000 chattering monkeys(smiley face).

Last edited by Jim Thompson (2009-06-30 12:08:18)

" Who do you trust , me or your own eyes?" - Groucho Marx

#59 2009-06-30 12:28:09

baian

Or to cite an ancient text fragment :

The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing.

Archilochus (7th-century b.c.e.)

#60 2009-06-30 12:35:09

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Hi Jim

Jim Thompson wrote:

Yo Justin,
         O.K. You've changed the subject from what is music or not music to what is musiCAL and what is not. I choose to take that as a yielding on the previous discussion.

Well, in the case of the flute and whether or not it was used for music, as for example is called into question for the older find of a bear bone with a couple of holes in it, if we simply say there is nothing which is not music, it might not help us really understand the artifacts since then there would be no artifact that is not for music, in that all inclusive sense. So I think an exclusive definition has some value, at least to help us communicate about the possible use of the artifacts. But I think every definition has its different uses in different contexts, or based on different agreements. What I explained as musical, is of course just one of my personal ways of looking at/describing things.

Jim Thompson wrote:

In the name of not boring everyone to death this will be my final post on this thread, I'll give you the last word. My parting thought(shot) is that if you continue to try to trap the essence of music with your intellect you will ultimately come up empty handed.

Perhaps that is the reward - the fruit of the inquiry - the empty hand. Or perhaps a confirmation of what one already knew.

Jim Thompson wrote:

The spirit of music lies beyond analyses. beyond predictability, beyond possession and beyond control.  If I'm taking a hot bath the last thing I want is somebody standing there explaining all the scientific principals involved in heat transference etc. Science takes us to the many, religion takes us to the one.

And yet, in understanding how the water is made hot, one might be able to take cold water, heat it by applying what one has learned, and then, forgetting everything, bathe in that hot water. Although I believe it to be ungraspable by the intellect, I believe recognition and cultivation wholly possible. Therein lies the practicality.

I believe Jim that I agree with you entirely.

While searching for the modern art monkeys I came across this interview I think applies also perfectly to music though she is talking of painting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-JfYjmo5OA

#61 2009-06-30 12:42:34

ABRAXAS

Tangential monkey analog: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokal_Affair

"Shakuhachi music stirs up both gods and demons." -- Ikkyu.

#62 2009-06-30 16:35:34

Karmajampa
Website

I recently listened to a documentary in which Sting was being monitored in an MRI scanner to seed how his brain activity changed when thinking about particular music. There was a lot of left brain activity and when he was prompted to improvise there was a lot of activity in both hemispheres. It was very interesting though I don't recall all the information that was discussed.
After they had been at it for a while Sting started to become annoyed with the analysis of his brain processes and just wanted to go play music.
for me also, after sitting listening to Sting's music on the doco I began to lose interest in what was being observed happening in the brain and wanted to go play some music.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#63 2009-06-30 20:44:36

Lodro

Didn't John Cage once say, in relation to people saying "but that's not music" -  "if  you don't want to call it music, then call it whatever you like". (or something close to that). Damn fine statement that one I reckon.

Each part of the body should be connected to every other part.

#64 2009-07-01 09:00:07

Rick Riekert

Jim Thompson wrote:
"Science takes us to the many, religion takes us to the one."

Of course, on a less exalted level religion does take us to the many. For example, the Encyclopedia of American Religion  lists 2,630 so-called faith groups flourishing in the U.S. and Canada alone. Even allowing for the exigencies of tax exemption, that does seem to be multiplying entities beyond necessity. And I suspect never have so many taken so few to the one.

On the other hand, one of the major goals of contemporary particle physics is to unify the various fundamental forces in a Grand Unified Theory which could offer a more elegant understanding of the organization of the universe. In that important sense science does indeed take us to the one (assuming one exists).

Mastery does not lay in the mastery of technique, but in penetrating the heart of the music. However, he who has not mastered the technique will not penetrate the heart of the music.
~ Hisamatsu Fûyô

Board footer