Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-06-24 16:42:01

Toffe

What fingers do you use?

I'm pretty used to playing bamboo flutes, but always diatonic ones. Like Quenas and Bansuris. There it's pretty obvious what fingers to use.
But on a shakuhachi, what fingers do you use on the right and the left hand (I'm right-handed so I have my left hand towards the mouth end).
On the one I've made I use the first and the third finger on both hands. I've been trying to use only index and middle finger and it works fine too.. My flute is a 2.1 in B.

What fingers are you "supposed" to use and do you change the fingering for larger flutes.. I mean it'll be easier on a big 3.x to use first and forth fingers.

// Toffe

Last edited by Toffe (2006-06-24 16:42:14)

#2 2006-06-24 17:12:45

kyoreiflutes
Website

Re: What fingers do you use?

Right off the bat, I'd say use what fingers you can. With "standard" sized flutes, however, I mostly see players with thier left hand on top, first finger (pointer) on the top hole, then skip a finger, and same on the right on down.

However, on my 3.7-bastard flute, I have to turn my right hand pointing down, using my thumb on the 2nd hole up. It's actually quite comfortable for me, more so than my 2.7.

Hope that helps.

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

Board footer