Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-06-19 20:06:02

variableresults

Greetings from Illinois- major newb here <-----

Hello smile  USPS brought my first shakuhachi today (1.9 C# zen), and I'm dilligently trying to get it to make some sounds other than my quickly diminishing breath tongue  I've been playing guitar for about seven years now, so this is a totally new experience for me.  I really love shakuhachi music, so I figured it was time to finally pick one up and give it a go.  I knew it would be a challenge, but I no idea it would be this much of a challenge smile  Any advice??

-Russ

#2 2006-06-19 22:46:44

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Greetings from Illinois- major newb here <-----

Sit up straight; head level.

Try to split your airstream with the blowing edge (good idea to sit in front of a mirror for this...).

For best results, begin this process with ALL the holes OPEN--much easier to produce a tone that way; as you get some results and control over the all-holes-open note, close the back hole and work on that one for a while, then close the 4th hole (top one on the front), then the third, and so on, until all the holes are closed.

NB: Take lots of time with each of these before going to the next hole down--it's time well spent...

Report back,

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2006-06-19 23:20:58

variableresults

Thanks edosan smile  I checked out Perry Yung's site too, as well as this thread: http://www.shakuhachiforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=385. 

Both helped me get my embouchure close enough to start the good vibrations big_smile

#4 2006-06-20 10:00:22

nyokai
shihan
Website

variableresults wrote:

Any advice??

-Russ

You might check out my "shakuhachi starter kit." This is comprised of six short videos you can get (by download) for $6 each from http://shop.nyokai.com. The first one covers care and handling of the shakuhachi, the second one posture, the third one breathing, the fourth one holding the flute, the fifth one embouchure, and the last one actually making a sound on the flute.

The videos are in WMF (Windows Media File) format and should play fine on any computer. If you're on a Mac, you may need to download Windows Media Player for Mac. Payment is by Paypal.

Whether you try that or not, good luck with your practicing!

#5 2006-06-20 12:38:32

mrosenlof

I'm relatively new at this, so keep that in mind...

With all due respect to Edosan, I recommend starting with the left hand holes covered.  Don't forget the thumb!  I found it much easier to get my first sounds that way.  Just an alternate to try.

Make sure you have a good seal between your fingers and the flute, but you don't need to grip it tightly.  Relax.  Relax your fingers and your lips, especially at the center.  Let the air you blow shape your lips, it will get it fairly close. Using the flute against your chin as an anchor point move your head up and down trying to split the airstream across the blowing edge (as Edosan suggests, a mirror can be a great help).

It's easy to tense up when things get hard or don't work right, and that doesn't help.  But it is a natural inclination.

Don't forget to have fun!

Mike Rosenlof

#6 2006-06-25 10:45:34

nyokai
shihan
Website

mrosenlof wrote:

I recommend starting with the left hand holes covered.

I'm not sure it matters a WHOLE lot, but for getting a sound the first note I teach is RI, using the fingering holes 3 and 4 opened, the rest closed. There are several reasons I do it this way:

1. It is a very easy sound to get on most flutes, maybe the easiest.
2. It is an actual fingering that will need to be learned anyway -- I think it's slightly counterproductive to practice something like all holes opened that's not a "real" fingering in the traditional music.
3. Because it is a sort of cross or "non-linear" fingering, it gets you used to that -- it, and others like it, will not be a stumbling block later.

#7 2006-06-25 11:26:10

philipgelb
Chef, musician, teacher
Website

but i start students off by trying to play the note with all fingers open.
Several reasons for this.
One does not have to worry if a hole is fully closed or sealed.
One learns that this is the way all notes should be held. I found if i started students off with fingers down, those fingers get "glued" down, as they would grip harder and harder with each breath. With all fingers open, i try to get students to realize right away the correct way of holding the flute and that does not involve using the fingers that control the fingerholes.

After the sound with all holes open is able to be achieved, i then have them work their way down, one finger at time till they get to ro.

Philip Gelb
shakuhachi player, teacher & vegetarian chef
Oakland, CA
http://philipgelb.com  http://myspace.com/philipgelb, http://myspace.com/inthemoodforfood

#8 2006-06-25 11:59:48

edosan
Edomologist

Although there is undeniable merit in other approaches, this is why I like this method as well (with all due respect and bows to Nyokai...).

It brings the neophyte player's attention to just focusing on the elements of making sound with the embouchure, whilst holding the flute in the proper posture.

eB

Last edited by edosan (2006-06-26 10:16:35)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#9 2006-06-26 02:28:41

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

I tried getting my first few students to play otsu no ro from the beginning but a couple of them experimenting around found it much easier to get a sound with all the holes open, and since that time I've generally given students the latter option, trying to get them to relax their hands and fingers while holding onto the flute, and working down to ro one note at a time as ro seems to be the most difficult note (not counting meris) to get when first working on the lower octave.  Phil's note about keeping the students' light fingered by not having to worry about clamping them down over the holes right away makes good sense, but as Nyokai points out, it probably doesn't make a WHOLE lot of difference.

#10 2006-06-27 09:21:00

nyokai
shihan
Website

Daniel Ryudo wrote:

...keeping the students' light fingered by not having to worry about clamping them down over the holes right away makes good sense...

Before playing the first RI, we work for a while just at balancing the flute between the thumb and third finger of the right hand so that none of the other fingers are involved in supporting the flute. Once students have this feeling, there doesn't seem to be too much of a problem with gripping too hard (except sometimes the thumb hole, making kan no ro and thumb trills difficult without reminders to loosen up).

Board footer