Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2005-12-14 02:07:37

SaTaNaMa

Ceremony Commemorating Ikkyu

The following little blurb was included recently in an issue of the Shakuhachi listserv. The note was regarding a Shakuhachi pilgrimage. "We had planned to attend a secret ceremony commemorating the famous zen priest, Ikkyu, at Ikkyu-ji in Kyoto, but our timing was off that day..."

Does anyone know more about this ceremony? Held annually or at regular intervals? Open to gaijun? Etc.

Believe nothing merely because you have been told it...  Buddha

#2 2005-12-19 21:32:01

Ryuzen
Dokyoku (Daishihan); Zensabo
Website

Re: Ceremony Commemorating Ikkyu

Hello SaTaNaMa,

I was invited to be a part of this special ceremony by Yoshio Kurahashi. Due to our timing we couldn't participate this year. You can ask him about it by writing to him at: mujuan@nifty.com. I believe it is a yearly event. But you must have special permission from the Ikkyu Temple. The only way of participating in it is if you have good relations with Kurahashi-san or the Temple itself. Our group was initially invited and we are all Canadian (and one American) so gaikokujin are not excluded. We will try to again next year to attend this ceremony. You're welcome to join us! 

ATR
www.bamboo-in.com

I live a shakuhachi life.

#3 2009-07-27 02:21:26

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

On the recent European Shakuhachi summerschool held in Leiden, mr. Kurahashi spoke elobarately about this ceremony which if I can recall from memory is held annualy at 21 november on the passing day of Ikkyu. Since 2 years it is now open to public. The first year many tourists came, but didn't seem to like it that much; the next year less tourists came. On this ceremony a special song is played within the temple ground by mr. Kurahashi, I don't recall the name, but he tought us about it, it was called purple song .... reibo or someting. The monks placed each one stick of incense before the big statue of Ikkyu, while mr. Kurahashi played this song which was made by Ikkyu or made to the the image of Ikkyu. The monks as well chanted for 20 minutes before this playing. That was all, so on the outside it doesn't look very impressive. Nonetheless for a shakuhachi afficionado, it would quite be something.
One other participant of this workshop recorded this tale told by mr. Kurahashi. He told it very pleasantly and it was very interesting. I am trying to get a copy of this and if I can get permission will post it on my blog.

Bas

Read more about my shakuhachi adventures at:
Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#4 2009-07-27 06:24:58

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Bas Nijenhuis wrote:

. On this ceremony a special song is played within the temple ground by mr. Kurahashi, I don't recall the name, but he tought us about it, it was called purple song .... reibo or someting.

"Murasaki Reibo" which is also called "Murasaki Reiho" or a variation is called "Murasakino no Kyoku". It's a song which (according to legend) was written by Ikkyu. Although this seems unlikely because the hitoyogiri Ikkyu would have played probably didn't get the scale properly. "Murasakino no Kyoku" actually could be played on hitoyogiri but the version Kurahashi plays has too many meri notes for a hitoyogiri. But that's a digression. Kurahashi Sensei plays it on 2.0 which he says plays in tune with the chanting of the monks. It is on Nov. 21st, Ikkyu's death day (and my birthday). This year Yoshio Kurahashi will have a ceremony changing his name from Yoshio to Yodo II on this day.

There are at least 4 versions of this tune.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#5 2009-07-27 08:53:49

edosan
Edomologist

Tairaku wrote:

It is on Nov. 21st, Ikkyu's death day (and my birthday).

Wait a minute: Is it possible that our beloved Tairaku is a reincarnation of Ikkyu?

Is it?

...nah!! Couldn't be...

...but...

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#6 2009-07-27 10:36:12

Nyogetsu
Kyu Dan Dai Shihan
Website

Last year in November, my group (on my annual Japan Tour that I have been doing for 30 years) had the pleasure of playing at IKKYU-JI  (IKKYU-SAN's Temple), which is located in the suburbs of KYOTO. We went there with Kurahashi Sensei and were quite honored at being allowed to play MURASAKI REIBO, with him in front of Ikkyu-San's image. Coincidentally, a public TV crew, who were filming about 75 yards away -at that moment- captured our performance on there tape. They were not only covering the Temple, and Ikkyu-San's History, but had just mentioned his connection with the Shakuhachi and his composition -MURASAKI REIBO.

Imagine their surprise when the sound of 5 Shakuhachi players playing this piece came wafting over the Temple Walls to where they were filming at exactly the right moment!

Of course they kept the sound (with our permission) in their production - they even gave us end-credits on the DVD that they sent us of the production.

This year, the famous beautiful Maple-leaves of Ikkyu-ji, and of Kyoto , will again be in full flaming color in November (one of the other reasons that the TV crew were filming the beautiful trees of Ikkyu-ji), and my group will be going to play Murasaki Reibo again. But this time we will be supporting Kurahashi Yoshio Sensei in his new Lineage creating 60th birthday Concert (on the 21st of November- happy Birthday Brian - I hope you will join us!), after which he will be forever know as KURAHASHI YODO II.

There is still room in my group if you want to go for all or part of the Tour (See my announcement "Kurahashi Yodo II...A Celebration by Nyogetsu" on the "Events" page). The full Tour dates are from Nov. 6th- Nov. 23rd, 2009, and we will visit other Shakuhachi Makers, and perform in two additional Concerts - one in Tokyo, and one in Hitachi-Shi (Ibaraki Prefecture). You can contact me off-line at nyogetsu@gmail.com for any information.

The magic's in the music and the music's in me...
"Do you believe in Magic"- The Lovin' Spoonful

#7 2009-07-27 19:26:52

Moran from Planet X
Website

edosan wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

It is on Nov. 21st, Ikkyu's death day (and my birthday).

Wait a minute: Is it possible that our beloved Tairaku is a reincarnation of Ikkyu?

Is it?

...nah!! Couldn't be...

...but...

Ikkyu's other name was 'Crazy Cloud' so it would make perfect sense.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#8 2009-07-28 03:47:21

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Chris Moran wrote:

I resemble that remark!

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#9 2009-07-28 09:39:51

edosan
Edomologist

Tairaku wrote:

Chris Moran wrote:

I resemble that remark!

To be more precise, I believe the correct, more subtle translation to be:

"Krazy Knob"

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#10 2009-08-20 03:09:02

tenpong

they even gave us end-credits on the DVD that they sent us of the production.
proprietaire simulation rachat credit immobilier consommation - demander un rachat de crédit, faites une simulation rachat de credit en ligne.proprietaire simulation rachat credit immobilier consommation

#11 2009-08-26 17:29:50

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

I have got permission to post the recording of Kurahashi playing the song and telling about Ikkyu and the song.
See my blog-entry about it and give it a listen.
http://shakuhachibas.blogspot.com/2009/ … -song.html

Bas

Read more about my shakuhachi adventures at:
Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#12 2009-08-26 17:52:11

edosan
Edomologist

Nice one, Bas.

Zen is not easy.