You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

• Index
  •  » Practice
  •  » just starting have books which one to use

#1 2009-09-12 23:47:09

mtrddog

just starting have books which one to use

hello I just started playing the Shakuhachi, I have one of those Yuu's I have had it for sometime but have never got around to useing it , I'm a conga player so getting into another instrument was odd , but I have gave it a try , I have two books and thier seem different , I well post the books I need some direction as to which one would help me to learn the ( I think it's called Honkyoku style) . Well here are the books      "Take-no-Michi the path of the Bamboo" by Tokuyama Takashi now the other is   "Shakuhachi Japanese Bamboo Flute" Masayuki Koga   thanks and I have other questions but well post them in another index   thanks for your time sebastian

#2 2009-09-13 09:47:56

jaybeemusic

Re: just starting have books which one to use

I started with Masayuki Koga's book and it helped me a lot.  it's pretty much takes you from nothing to being able to play some minyo  (simple childrens/folk songs) up to some longer pieces....do you have the cd for it as well....it's really helpful to be able to hear the song played properly.

i've been playing for a few years now and i still use it...

Koga is a Tozan player and his book doesn't have any Honkyoku pieces in it....but if you learn how to read the notation and all the symbols etc....  there's a lot of other information out there on honkyoku specifically.

hope this helps

jacques

It's better to keep your mouth closed and let people "think" that you're stupid, than to open it, and remove all doubt.

#3 2009-09-14 19:39:32

Matt Lyon

I started off with Koga's book too. I found it useful to get me going tho it would have been better spent on another month of lessons with Chikuzen sensei. Most teachers have their own material and it is better to invest in that IMHO.

If you do some searching you will find that most advice it to get a teacher.

Personally, I have learned many hobbies over a wide array of topics and the shakuhachi is one thing that book learning is not well suited to especially since most of it is an oral tradition and along with that each style has it's own unique characteristics.

Best of luck,

Matt

#4 2009-09-14 23:35:05

edosan
Edomologist

jaybeemusic wrote:

Koga is a Tozan player and his book doesn't have any Honkyoku pieces in it....but if you learn how to read the notation and all the symbols etc....  there's a lot of other information out there on honkyoku specifically.

Koga is not affiliated with any school; he's a 'maverick' like Miyata. The reason there's no Honkyoku in his book is because he knows very well you can't teach it from a book, especially a beginner's book.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#5 2009-09-15 11:12:16

jaybeemusic

ok...i guess you've got a point....

but when i had a lesson with him.....he told me that he's more tozan than kinko.....

kinda like Hendrix was a blues guitarist.....it's true but not the whole story.  smile

jacques

It's better to keep your mouth closed and let people "think" that you're stupid, than to open it, and remove all doubt.

• Index
  •  » Practice
  •  » just starting have books which one to use

Board footer