Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-09-15 18:11:43

Starmonger

pls Suggest a good training book/manual

Hi, I just took the plunge and bought a Shakuhachi. I decided that I would get it as an ornament for my bedroom and mount it on my wall, aswell as slowly learning to play it, I got a black bamboo one which i thought would suit my room and so that's how I 'took the plunge' as I don't think i could of justified buying it just to learn to play alone yet. I'm practicing Zen meditation at the moment, and When i found out that there was a sect of Zen buddhism which used the Shakuhachi as a form of mediation, I became interested, becauase i also love the zenlike sound of the shakuhachi, and am allready into making music on my pc with virtual instruments. Anyway, Please could someone suggest a book or manual for a begginer? preferably something not too expensive. I doubt that i'll be able to find a teacher where i live, but would probably like to find one in a year or 2. I'd like to learn the Zen meditation pieces aswell.

This is the shakuhachi that i bought: http://cgi.ebay.com/2-3-Wide-Bore-Root- … 286.c0.m14

it's a 'wide bore'. not sure if that's good or not.

#2 2009-09-17 21:13:35

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

Re: pls Suggest a good training book/manual

Christopher Yohmei Blasdel, a master Kinko player, has a good starter book called The Shakuhachi: A Manual for Learning, which also has a history of the Fuke Zen sect of komuso players in it.  You can find it at Monty Levenson's website www.shakuhachi.com; I think the new edition comes with a cd as well.

#3 2009-09-20 19:19:33

Starmonger

Thanks for the suggestion, I think i'll get that one!

#4 2009-09-20 22:27:03

David Earl

I might suggest rather than pay for an instructional book take a lesson with a teacher - in person or online. It will be about the same cost and what a big difference it has made for me. This has been far more helpful, inspiring and useful than any of the books I have purchased.

Even if your flute is not 1.8 and student quality there are teachers who will help you.

All the best

Last edited by David Earl (2009-09-20 22:31:04)

Spring peepers provide
a croaking choral backdrop
sleep time aria

#5 2009-09-21 10:53:59

edosan
Edomologist

Second that...

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#6 2009-09-21 12:29:35

Starmonger

hmm. Good idea, but then after the hour lesson i'd be on my own, with no material to practice.. but I know what you mean, it would be better initially, but i suppose i would need a few lessons rather than just one. I think i'll still go with the book for now though. And maybe get a lesson or 2 later.

Does anyone know which is better for a begginer wanting to learn Honkyoko out of these 2 manuals: Shakuhachi: Japanese Bamboo Flute by Koga, or  The Shakuhachi: A Manual for Learning by Christopher Yohmei Blasdel?

well i'm also thinking of getting this one to suppliment the other as it's quite a bit cheaper: Také-no-Michi - The Path of Bamboo:
A Beginner's Learining Guide to Shakuhachi Honkyoku

I want to find a teacher, but I only live in a small village in England so it's pretty unlikely at the moment. I want to travel to Japan, possibly to live there for a bit at some point, and learn Zen and Shakuhachi. I'd also like to add that although i'm mainly interested in the Honkyoko side, I'd also be interested in the more musical playing- though my flute is an all-natural one.

#7 2009-09-21 14:47:34

edosan
Edomologist

Starmonger wrote:

Does anyone know which is better for a begginer wanting to learn Honkyoko out of these 2 manuals: Shakuhachi: Japanese Bamboo Flute by Koga, or  The Shakuhachi: A Manual for Learning by Christopher Yohmei Blasdel?

Neither.
You won't like this, but forget about the Honkyoku for the time being. Listen to it, yes; a lot. Unless you listen to it (a lot), you will not internalize it enough to be able to play it, much less 'understand' it (which is an arguable construct at best...it may not be meant to be understood).

Content yourself for now with learning how to play the instrument. Romantic as this may seem, this is not done, either well or poorly, by approaching Honkyoku.

Books are fine, and Chris Blasdel's is as good as they get, but the best book on the planet won't be nearly as much help getting you started as one or two lessons with a live, competent teacher, and online lessons work fine. At best, books are supplemental to lessons.

As to having 'nothing to do' after the lesson, nonsense. There is the wonderful phenomenon of email attachments, remember? And even if you took only one (well done) lesson, with no other learning materials, you'd still have plenty to do.

Since you are somewhat isolated, I'd put some effort into getting an audio/visual setup for your computer so you can get some lessons via Skype (which is free).

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#8 2009-09-21 15:48:09

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Starmonger wrote:

hmm. Good idea, but then after the hour lesson i'd be on my own, with no material to practice..

Not if you have a good teacher. A teacher will always give you material to work on on your own.

There are loads of approaches to teaching/learning shakuhachi. I learned honkyoku from day one with my teacher in Japan. There are several fractions of shakuhachi teaching only honkyoku. Whether I recommend that or not is another subject. But it is done!

Where abouts in England do you live?

Last edited by Kiku Day (2009-09-21 15:49:51)

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#9 2009-09-21 18:41:36

ssakamoto
Website

I would like to second edosan and Kiku's comments about work to do after lesson.

I spent my first six months practicing one song, kimi gayo, which is half a page long. I also practice a one page note chart...every day, for six months. For the six months after that, I have been practicing two pages of songs...rokudan and kuro kami.

My point is that for over a year now, I have been learning about four pages of material, with weekly lessons. I've probably had 40 lessons by now. And, in my opinion, I'm still moving too fast for comfort.

Once you have a lesson with a teacher, you will get a tiny glimpse of the enormous concept called, "what I don't know about the shakuhachi" and one page of notes can become a six month challenge just to practice on.

"One thing the bamboo tells you from the start is that it's going to take years and years and years. Better get to work." -- Mujitsu

#10 2009-09-21 18:59:08

Matt Lyon

Starmonger wrote:

hmm. Good idea, but then after the hour lesson i'd be on my own, with no material to practice..

I found I couldn't practice until I got a teacher even tho there is a lot of material that can be bought to practice.

I don't mean to trash any enthusiasm that you have but the problem with asking questions is then getting advice wink but in the end it all depends where you want to go and the road you wish to take to get you there.

Matt

#11 2009-09-21 21:52:53

edosan
Edomologist

ssakamoto wrote:

Once you have a lesson with a teacher, you will get a tiny glimpse of the enormous concept called, "what I don't know about the shakuhachi" and one page of notes can become a six month challenge just to practice on.

So very well put.

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#12 2009-09-21 22:12:59

jaybeemusic

i second that...

It's better to keep your mouth closed and let people "think" that you're stupid, than to open it, and remove all doubt.

#13 2009-09-22 05:53:59

Starmonger

Kiku Day wrote:

Starmonger wrote:

Not if you have a good teacher. A teacher will always give you material to work on on your own.

There are loads of approaches to teaching/learning shakuhachi. I learned honkyoku from day one with my teacher in Japan. There are several fractions of shakuhachi teaching only honkyoku. Whether I recommend that or not is another subject. But it is done!

Where abouts in England do you live?

Hi Kiku, I live near Lancaster, Lancashire in the North West.

#14 2009-09-22 11:06:48

airin
Website

Yes, books, I started on that path too.  Got some very good books and materials.  They are all sitting on my bookshelf now. 

I have skype lessons twice a month with a very good teacher.  There are so many good teachers to choose from, technology can bring them all to me so easily.

My books are untouched.  Maybe one day I'll use them to compliment my lessons.  But in the meantime my teacher gives me more than enough to work on.  As stated above, one piece can be lots to work for months and months and months.

Good luck on your journey, may it be long and meaningful.

cheers,
Erin

#15 2009-09-22 11:52:06

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Starmonger wrote:

Hi Kiku, I live near Lancaster, Lancashire in the North West.

We could meet up once to get you started if you'd like. I live in Islington, London. 
Meeting up once every two month would be really good but...
I am not here all the time but enough to teach a rare lesson here and there. Skype lessons in between is another option. .... In a year's time there will be a shakuhachi teacher back in York, if that is easier.... perhaps not. Otherwise they are pretty much all in London and one towards Devon. There is also one in Somerset that could help you. But that is much more south....
Not easy!

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#16 2009-09-22 15:50:26

Starmonger

thanks all for your comments, certainly given me some thoughts. Kiku thanks for the offer, I might take you up on that when I next go to London. But it probably won't be for a few months atleast.

#17 2009-09-23 15:21:42

YuccaBruce
Website

Just play, the rest is commentary....

#18 2009-09-23 17:43:38

purehappiness

Get a book to begin with until you can get lessons. By the way you can get lessons via skype which works quite well.Learning the basic notes and how to play them in kan should keep you busy for a while.( A few months) smile

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#19 2009-09-23 18:10:27

David Earl

YuccaBruce wrote:

Just play, the rest is commentary....

I don't get it what does that mean?

Spring peepers provide
a croaking choral backdrop
sleep time aria

#20 2009-09-23 20:03:32

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

you can check out my Folk Song Book/Playalong .
Availabe @ www.GeniMusic.com

#21 2009-09-25 06:02:16

purehappiness

I love that netsuke on your book cover. Where can I get one and what is it of?It is probably a rare ivory netsuke though sad  I would imagine.

Last edited by purehappiness (2009-09-25 06:02:35)

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#22 2009-09-25 11:10:14

edosan
Edomologist

purehappiness wrote:

I love that netsuke on your book cover. Where can I get one and what is it of?It is probably a rare ivory netsuke though sad  I would imagine.

Google 'netsuke' and have a look around. You'll find it.

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#23 2009-09-25 11:27:54

purehappiness

Good idea.

Thanks

Lieh-tzu

#24 2009-09-25 11:31:46

purehappiness

Edosan. You wouldn't happen to know what it is called. Would ya? There looks to be a lot to go thru.

Lieh-tzu

#25 2009-09-25 13:48:08

edosan
Edomologist

purehappiness wrote:

Edosan. You wouldn't happen to know what it is called. Would ya? There looks to be a lot to go thru.

Gee, what a bummer. Go through it. Do you good.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=net … B&qs=n

Plus, you might even see something you like better...

--------------

OK, I give. It's called Fukurokuju (God of Wisdom...NB: the big cranium).

Here's a huge JPEG of it:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c … ke_-_1.jpg

I extracted it from the background for the cover.

[Obviously, I'm a wimp as a warden. I'll have to work on that]

Last edited by edosan (2009-09-25 14:02:49)

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

Board footer