Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-06-12 22:39:12

shaman141
Website

Watazumi Hocchiku...

Does anyone know of a particular maker or makers that Watazumi favored? I know he made his own Hocchiku, but I would be curious to know if anyone had info about the makers that crafted his awesome Hocchiku.

Thanks,

-Sean

Last edited by shaman141 (2006-06-12 22:39:32)

Find your voice and express yourself, that's the point.

#2 2006-06-13 02:11:30

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Watazumi Hocchiku...

shaman141 wrote:

Does anyone know of a particular maker or makers that Watazumi favored? I know he made his own Hocchiku, but I would be curious to know if anyone had info about the makers that crafted his awesome Hocchiku.

Thanks,

-Sean

His favorite maker was Okubo Kodo, who was a Kinko maker who made conventional jiari flutes in his youth and then in later days started making long jinashi flutes (or hocchiku in Watazumi parlance). I have played both kinds. His jiari flutes are very nice but the long ones are spectacular.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2006-06-15 12:22:12

shaman141
Website

Thanks Tairaku. Where did you find this maker? Do you know if he is still crafting shakuhachi? It is the same way with Murai Eigoro I believe- He spent a large part of his life making jiari flutes, but now focuses on making Jinashi. I have a 2.4 Jinashi from him and it is amazing.

-Sean

#4 2006-06-16 02:18:30

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Sorry, Okubo Kodo is deceased. I encountered his flutes through various friends here and in Japan who have them. I only played one of the type (jinashi) Watazumi liked, the rest were more conventional Kinko flutes, but nice. I am glad you like your Murai flute, he's a good guy. If you like that you might want to check out Al Ramos' site. He makes some hocchiku which are similar. I picked one up recently. That crew (Murai, Okuda, Kiku Day, Kodama, Ramos) make flutes in a particular style.

#5 2006-06-20 08:51:44

shaman141
Website

Hi Tairaku, that's a shame that he is deceased... I'm guessing that the Watazumi style Hocchiku that he made are few and far between. I actually am a student of Alcvin ramos, and i know of the crew that you mentioned. I believe they all learnt Hocchiku making from Murai-san. Do you know the incredible bassist William Parker? I was speaking to him last night before a show here in Montreal and he mentioned that he plays Hocchiku and actually met Watazumi.

-Sean

#6 2006-06-21 19:52:22

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

shaman141 wrote:

Do you know the incredible bassist William Parker? I was speaking to him last night before a show here in Montreal and he mentioned that he plays Hocchiku and actually met Watazumi.-Sean

Yes, I've seen Parker play a few times in NYC, but I never saw him play shakuhachi.

#7 2006-07-02 18:23:14

shaman141
Website

Hi Tairaku,

When I spoke with him he said that he was really into Hocchiku. He told me the name of the maker but I don't remember... A jazz player with the last name Hughes I think.. He said that the bamboo he's currently playing was massive, and asked me why I didn't bring my flute to play for him. I told him the reason and his answer was:" You should have brought it, you never know when someone will need to be healed"... Good answer. Needless to say I'll be bringing my Hocchiku next time he comes to MTL.

-Sean

#8 2006-07-02 19:33:25

nyokai
shihan
Website

One of my students, the poet David Budbill, plays shakuhachi pretty regularly with William Parker. They have a trio CD together with the drummer Hamid Drake, "Songs for a Suffering World," on which both David and William play shakuhachi.

#9 2006-07-02 19:56:25

shaman141
Website

Hi Nyokai,

Do you know where I could get this CD? Sounds like a wonderful trio. I am a huge fan of Hamid, he's a great drummer, sweet guy too. I have a duo cd with William and Hamid called Piercing the Veil. William plays shakuhachi on it, it's an awesome CD.

-Sean

Last edited by shaman141 (2006-07-02 19:58:09)

#10 2006-07-03 09:02:25

nyokai
shihan
Website

Hello Sean --

Several sources for getting it are listed here at David's site:

http://www.davidbudbill.com/songsfasw.html

Best wishes,
Phil.

Board footer