Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

• Index
  •  » History
  •  » Books or recordings to explore the different styles?

#1 2005-11-06 14:40:19

bluespiderweb

Books or recordings to explore the different styles?

I posted a similar question in the Misc section, but thought it might be better here?

I would like to learn about the various styles of playing, which includes the history of the Shakuhachi.  Most likely I will be getting " The Single Tone: A Personal Journey into Shakuhachi Music" by Christopher Yohmei Blasdel as a starting reference, but I'm not sure how deep it goes into the styles of playing.

If anyone can suggest recordings that would be a help also.  Thank you.

Be well,  Barry

#2 2005-11-06 17:13:07

JeffMartindale
Website

Re: Books or recordings to explore the different styles?

Hello. I'm not sure of a single book myself that explores different styles of playing. A well known book that you can get from Neal at Naljor Creations, the same gentleman who sells the Shakuhachi Yuu on ebay and at this own website, www.shakuhachiyuu.com is :   Shakuhachi: Japanese Bamboo Flute by Masayuki Koga   It was written in 1978 and focuses on the Kinko school notation.  It's focus is on beginning to advanced players.  I also have the Single Tone book. Great book, I think it's emphasis is more biographical and historical with much information not only on the shakuhachi but Japanese culture from the author's experience. Best of luck on finding a suitable text for you. Of course, Monty Levenson with Tai Hei Shakuhachi also may do well to recommend books from his collection.

Last edited by JeffMartindale (2005-11-06 18:51:53)

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
        Mark Twain

#3 2005-11-06 18:42:04

gmiller

The Annals of the International Shakuhachi Society - Vol. #1 is a most excellent book.... You can buy it from shakuhachi.com. I understand Vol. #2 ia at  the press and due for release shortly...

All the best
George

#4 2005-11-07 18:51:18

bluespiderweb

Thank you Jeff and George. 

Jeff, yes, maybe Monty can recommend something, that's a good idea.  I will contact him.

George-thank you, I did wonder about the Annals vol 1 from the shakuhachi society-from the description, it sounds like it covers pretty much.  And good to know the Vol 2 is about to be published too.

So, how much does the Annals Vol 1 cover with regard to the different styles?  Do they reference any CDs or music in general to listen to?

Be well,  Barry

• Index
  •  » History
  •  » Books or recordings to explore the different styles?

Board footer