Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-09-14 06:53:28

purehappiness

How does one do taname?

I was wondering if anyone had any links that show how to do tamane(tongue fluttering).

Last edited by purehappiness (2009-09-15 11:32:28)

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#2 2009-09-14 07:51:41

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Re: How does one do taname?

Tamane (玉音) often causes trouble in the beginning. But it is really fun once you can do it! smile
I have no video links, but if you can to flutter tonguing while singing, you can do tamane.

Start with a flutter without trying to hit the shakuhachi with your breath or create a sound. Once you can do that and feel you can do it for a longer stretch - then try to control and direct your breath to hit the utaguchi and thereby create a sound. In the beginning only a fluffy airy sound will come out from your efforts, but eventually it will come...

IF you can't flutter tongue even without the shakuhachi, try to practice it just with singing. No flute in any case. Some people can't do it, and apparently it can be genetically conditioned - I have been told by another shakuhachi player who went to see a doctor because he couldn't do it. So, if you are one of these cases, then you can develop a sound very similar to tamane by doing the same technique as when gargling. With practice you can control how the gargling sounds from very small vibrations to what sounds identical to tamane.

Good luck and have fun!

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#3 2009-09-14 09:12:40

purehappiness

I have tried it and can do it by fluttering my tongue against the front part of the roof of my mouth. When I go against my teeth I lose the sound from the flute. I guess I just need to keep practicing.I am intrigued by the crane sound. smile

Thanks

Last edited by purehappiness (2009-09-14 09:13:26)

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#4 2009-09-14 16:45:18

edosan
Edomologist

purehappiness wrote:

I have tried it and can do it by fluttering my tongue against the front part of the roof of my mouth. When I go against my teeth I lose the sound from the flute. I guess I just need to keep practicing.I am intrigued by the crane sound. smile

Thanks

Try working on the one which uses the vibrating uvula; that's what most people do anyway, in my experience.

From 'Playing Tips', by Kakizakai Kaoru:

Well, today I am finally going to write about tamane. It's something I have avoided because it is so difficult to explain. I will do my best here, but I highly suggest that you get a teacher who can do the technique to show it to you in person.

Tamane can be divided broadly into two types:

Type 1: This type involves trilling the tip of your tongue to create a vibration. It is like the trilled –r” of Spanish. Place the tip of your tongue lightly against the front part of the roof of your mouth, then blow air between the tongue and the roof of your mouth so that the tip of your tongue flutters (vibrates) quickly. Once you get the hang of this, you might find that you cannot do it simultaneously with playing the shakuhachi. It takes time to adjust to trilling your tongue while keeping the mouth shape required to blow notes. My advice is to relax. You definitely won't succeed with two much tension in your mouth.

Type 2: This type involves vibrating your uvula [the little thing hanging down in the back of your throat]. Constrict your throat somewhat, then close it off with your uvula. Blow air through, and the uvula should vibrate as it passes through. Think of it like snoring. If it's hard to visualize, lie on your side and try snoring! It's OK if the vibration occurs on the in-breath. Like the first type of tamane, it takes practice to be able to do this while playing the shakuhachi. Remember, it's important to relax.

Both techniques revolve around causing a vibration while maintaining the mouth shape necessary to play the flute. This can be a difficult technique to catch, but you will get it if you keep at it.

And...

Last month, I talked about how there were two main types of tamane.

The first type involves vibrating the tip of your tongue, while the second type involves vibrating your uvula. The first type tends to result in larger and slower tamane, while the second tends to result in smaller and faster tamane. Type 1 can sometimes sound too loud, while Type 2 can be not loud enough.

Also, some people just naturally have trouble with one or the other. For example, even some Spanish people cannot trill their r’s, and some people have an uvula too small to vibrate.

Actually, there yet another part of your mouth which you can use to vibrate and create tamane: the center of your tongue. You can raise the center part of your tongue up to the roof of your mouth, then blow air through it to cause it to vibrate. This method of tamane can strike just the right balance between Type 1 and 2 described above.

No matter what style of tamane you try for, you won’t be able to do it well without a lot of practice. My teacher Katsuya Yokoyma used to play all of Rokudan using tamane to practice.

What you want to aim for is control over your tamane such that it begins just when you want it, you can play it softly, and it fades gradually along with any note.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#5 2009-09-14 16:47:06

Kiku Day
Website

You don't have to flutter your tongue against your teeth as such. When we 'normally' flutter the tongue, it is - as you say - against the roof of the mouth and also with a BIIIG smile. Try to bring your lips closer to the position they are in when you play shakuhachi. That movement in itself should move the position of your tongue a little forward too - but not as much as if you change the tongue position forward on purpose. Practice fluttering the tongue with your lips almost closed - and then try with the shakuhachi. smile

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#6 2009-09-14 18:08:34

purehappiness

Thank you very much. I have a lot to practice with now.

Thanks

Lieh-tzu

#7 2009-09-14 19:06:02

purehappiness

Just tried the uvula method and that seems easier.

Thanks again everyone.

Lieh-tzu

#8 2009-09-15 09:37:47

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

purehappiness wrote:

Just tried the uvula method and that seems easier.

Thanks again everyone.

Hi Greg, The way I learned Tamane from Kinya was to start at the base of the throat and think about a soft gargling, yes, mouthwash.

There are many ways to produce this effect.

Have fun!

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#9 2009-09-15 11:02:31

purehappiness

Yes, its almost like snoring. So, I should be pretty good at it. smile

Lieh-tzu

#10 2009-09-15 11:40:52

purehappiness

Perhaps I mean tabane. I just read that there is tamane and tabane. Tamane being a glottal trill and tabane being a fluttering tongue. I just read this at komuso.com.So, tamane would be a gargling type effect and tabane would be a fluttering tongue technique.

Lieh-tzu

#11 2009-09-15 17:53:37

Kiku Day
Website

purehappiness wrote:

Perhaps I mean tabane. I just read that there is tamane and tabane. Tamane being a glottal trill and tabane being a fluttering tongue. I just read this at komuso.com.So, tamane would be a gargling type effect and tabane would be a fluttering tongue technique.

Really? That's interesting! Okuda never differentiated between the two - at least the name for it. And Kakizakai doesn't either in the quote Ed posted before. But it is very likely that these techniques are differentiated by name in some schools. That's just shakuhachi!

Okuda did differentiate between the two and the use of it in certain pieces.
Great is the uvula technique works better for you! wink

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#12 2009-09-15 22:51:26

edosan
Edomologist

I have seen a reference to Jin Nyodo's writings for 'tamane/tabane'.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#13 2009-09-16 06:20:12

purehappiness

I would like to see jin nyodos writings.

Lieh-tzu

#14 2009-09-16 08:05:38

nyokai
shihan
Website

Yes, I learned (from Kurahashi-sensei) that tamane and tabane are two different techniques, tamane with the uvula and tabane with the front of the tongue. It seems that most people can do one or the other better -- I have no trouble with tamane, but tabane is more difficult for me on low notes. In Tsuru no Sugomori pieces I sometimes like to use both techniques for contrast -- they do sound different from each other.

The fun way to practice tamane or tabane is to pick a technically easy piece -- Kurokami, Rokudan, a minyo piece, whatever -- and try to play it all the way through using the technique.

#15 2009-09-23 18:28:26

Kiku Day
Website

I just found the kanji for tabane Shimura Satoshi's book from 2002.
Tamane: 玉音
Tabane:束音 

Taba means bundle or bunch while tama means ball, sphere etc.... smile

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#16 2009-09-25 01:56:10

Zakarius

Kiku Day wrote:

That's strange, as 玉 in Chinese is the character for jade (the semi-precious stone) and was originally a pictograph of three (三) pieces of jade strung (串) together. Is it possible that the current Japanese usage of the character is a simplification of some other?

I don't think I've ever seen a score which called for tabane, either. Do some schools 'prefer' it?

Zak

Last edited by Zakarius (2009-09-25 01:56:41)

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#17 2009-09-25 03:58:00

Nyogetsu
Kyu Dan Dai Shihan
Website

Tabane is used in the Jin Nyodo version of (Renpo Ken) Tsuru no Sugomori.

Last edited by Nyogetsu (2009-09-25 03:58:20)

The magic's in the music and the music's in me...
"Do you believe in Magic"- The Lovin' Spoonful

#18 2009-09-26 01:20:23

Kiku Day
Website

Zakarius wrote:

Kiku Day wrote:

That's strange, as 玉 in Chinese is the character for jade (the semi-precious stone) and was originally a pictograph of three (三) pieces of jade strung (串) together. Is it possible that the current Japanese usage of the character is a simplification of some other?

I don't think I've ever seen a score which called for tabane, either. Do some schools 'prefer' it?

Zak

Hi Zak.

If you look up 玉 in for example this useful translation website: www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?9T
they write ball, sphere or coin (and king in Shogi) but it also means jade as you say.
When I look at this character I always think of ball - but I may not be the best person to ask.

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#19 2009-09-26 12:18:44

Zakarius

Kiku Day wrote:

If you look up 玉 in for example this useful translation website: www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?9T
they write ball, sphere or coin (and king in Shogi) but it also means jade as you say.

This makes me wonder whether the Japanese have adopted 玉 as a simplified version of 求 (ball).

Zak

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

Board footer