Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-09-27 18:30:29

madoherty

Loose jointed - thumb / wrist issues

I am wondering if anyone out there has been successful in creating a thumb rest for shakuhachi.  I have an issue with loose jointedness that transfers tension from my thumb up my arm that I believe will be helped with the addition of a thumb rest.  I was think of the type on a clarinet, or similar.  I might purchase one to fit to my shakuhachi, but wondered if others had a different fix for this issue.

Thank you.

#2 2009-09-27 18:40:00

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Loose jointed - thumb / wrist issues

madoherty wrote:

I am wondering if anyone out there has been successful in creating a thumb rest for shakuhachi.  I have an issue with loose jointedness that transfers tension from my thumb up my arm that I believe will be helped with the addition of a thumb rest.  I was think of the type on a clarinet, or similar.  I might purchase one to fit to my shakuhachi, but wondered if others had a different fix for this issue.

Thank you.

This may not be sufficient for your requirements, but I have seen rectangles of sandpaper or emery paper (black and unobtrusive) attached to the area covered by the thumb with good quality double-sided tape. 3M makes a very good version that has a thin backing and good adhesion (clean the surface with alcohol or Bestine before applying). The increase in friction will reduce the tension required to hold the flute. It's easily removed, so it may be worth a try. 150 or 100 grit seems to be a good place to start. Some sandpapers may even match the color of your shakuhachi smile

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2009-09-27 18:51:57

madoherty

Re: Loose jointed - thumb / wrist issues

I have been thinking about a solution and tried different things for a while, and no sooner than I put the post on the forum I look over at my CD shelves and see the CD foam "dots" that I have had all along...

http://www.sks-bottle.com/340c/fin7fe.html

These might work.

I haven't tried the sand paper previously because what I need to do is to shift the direction of the weight on my thumb...

Board footer