Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#26 2009-09-28 13:35:53

jaybeemusic

Re: Shakuhachi and my three year old

Hey everyone,

My biggest apologies to everyone who asked for measurements to the mini-shakuhachi.  there have been a number of things in my life that have "taken-over" every spare minute of awake time.  thanks for being patient..   smile

here they are....

1/2" PVC pipe.....that's the key.... it keeps the aspect ratio closer to what it's supposed to be.

length  261mm

Hole size 7-8mm

Hole distance is measured from the utaguchi in mm

Hole #1 - 198
Hole #2 - 172
Hole #3 - 149
Hole #4 - 119
Hole #5 - 103 (Thumb)

It plays exactly 1 octave above a standard 1.8.  It starts to get pretty out of tune halfway through the second octave.... but trust me....you don't really want to go there anyway.......DOG WHISTLE!!!

enjoy.....(but for those of you with kids that don't like the sound of a normal shakuhachi....don't say i didn't warn you....   LOL)

jacques

It's better to keep your mouth closed and let people "think" that you're stupid, than to open it, and remove all doubt.

#27 2009-09-28 13:39:33

edosan
Edomologist

jaybeemusic wrote:

Hole distance is measured from the utaguchi in mm

Can one assume that that's to the center of the hole(s)? Always helpful to specify that.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#28 2009-09-28 13:57:38

jaybeemusic

actually,

it was the square root of Pi x the length of your baby finger/number of years you've been playing x number of shakuhachi you own.....  +2

or you could just use the center of the holes..... if that's easier....    they work out to be the same anyway...   wink

jacques

tongue

It's better to keep your mouth closed and let people "think" that you're stupid, than to open it, and remove all doubt.

#29 2009-09-28 15:19:35

geminishadow79

jaybeemusic wrote:

actually,

it was the square root of Pi x the length of your baby finger/number of years you've been playing x number of shakuhachi you own.....  +2

or you could just use the center of the holes..... if that's easier....    they work out to be the same anyway...   wink

jacques

tongue

ooohhhhh...thats where my problem was I was only adding 1!  It all makes sense now!

Board footer