Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-09-30 19:07:02

STUPID HIPPY

Smoking weed is not a bummer but insurance is.

nyokai wrote:

marihuana and its derivatives pretty excellent in some cases (such as pain).

Far out man, finally something worth talking about! My pain is always alleviated if I have run out of weed, when I find a new batch. Did you ever notice that its the SAME people who deprive us of the herb who are the ones who own all the arms manufacturers like Halliburton and Cheney and shit like that? It's like they'll be having a 3 or 4 martini lunch but they don't want us to be able to toke. Because it's natural. They are against nature. They are the same people who want us to worship archaic gods and shit that probably don't even exist but if they did exist He would have been the one who created marijuana. But they never think of that. How ironic!

Zen and Bamboo are one. Or is it two? Far out.

#2 2009-09-30 20:14:19

Jim Thompson

Re: Smoking weed is not a bummer but insurance is.

STUPID HIPPY wrote:

Did you ever notice that its the SAME people who deprive us of the herb who are the ones who own all the arms manufacturers like Halliburton and Cheney and shit like that? It's like they'll be having a 3 or 4 martini lunch but they don't want us to be able to toke.

Back in the 60's us stupid hippies wreck a perfectly good war. Thus the die was cast. The rift has only grown as we see in the health care debate.

" Who do you trust , me or your own eyes?" - Groucho Marx

#3 2009-09-30 20:31:11

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Jim Thompson wrote:

Back in the 60's us stupid hippies wreck a perfectly good war. Thus the die was cast. The rift has only grown as we see in the health care debate.

One of the reasons I like living here..........Australian government pays for me to get massage, acupuncture, etc. not to mention normal health care.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#4 2009-09-30 23:59:39

Jim Thompson

Tairaku,
     I can't tell you how many times my wife and I have fantasized getting the hell out of here.(U.S.A.). We don't like the culture (corporate dominated-i.e. denatured) and the politics are getting more ghastly all the time.  At $1500 a month health insurance premium (HMO 2 people) I'm ready to shoot somebody. It's disturbing my Buddhist principles. One minute I'm imagining merging with the Buddha and the next minute I'm  imagining merging a baseball bat with a health care executive's skull. I obviously have some more work to do and because of extended family I'm  guess I'll have to do it here.  I hope we are on the verge  of a turnaround. It's actually quite dramatic.

#5 2009-10-01 00:13:10

Lodro

I did a massage job the other day at the Arnotts biscuit factory where the company paid for us therapists to come in and massage their staff. But yes, my clients can also claim their massage through the private healthcare system here in Australia.

(does a biscuit have buddha nature?)

Each part of the body should be connected to every other part.

#6 2009-10-01 00:25:49

Jim Thompson

Lodro,
    Do you know what a normal monthly premium for 2 people is for private insurance in Australia?

#7 2009-10-01 00:48:58

Lodro

Jim Thompson wrote:

Lodro,
    Do you know what a normal monthly premium for 2 people is for private insurance in Australia?

It can vary of course but family cover can be somewhere around AUD 140 per month, I guess it would be less for 2 people.

#8 2009-10-01 01:10:01

Jim Thompson

That's quite reasonable. The situation here is diabolical for the individual purchaser of private health insurance. Go Obama!

Last edited by Jim Thompson (2009-10-01 01:10:34)

#9 2009-10-01 04:16:19

Bruce Hunter

Lodro wrote:

(does a biscuit have buddha nature?)

Lodro, of course it does, but you're asking a bunch of non-biscuits, you really should ask, (almost said talk to) a biscuit.

later...

Develop infallible technique and then lay yourself at the mercy of inspiration. - Anon.

#10 2009-10-01 04:51:05

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Jim Thompson wrote:

Lodro,

My wife and I pay $270 AUD as a couple.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#11 2009-10-01 05:04:53

Lodro

Tairaku wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

Lodro,

My wife and I pay $270 AUD as a couple.

It obviously varies to a fairly high degree. The $140 I mentioned covers my family of 2 adults and child. I guess it depends on the extent of cover.

#12 2009-10-01 10:55:00

Zakarius

Here in Taiwan, I pay NT$500 (about US$15) a month for my health insurance -- unless there's some major procedure, any trip to a clinic, hospital or dentist costs only NT$150 (about US$4.50). If you're looking for cheap health care which is sucking a government's capital dry, you're welcome to come to Taiwan big_smile

Zak

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#13 2009-10-01 11:17:23

Jim Thompson

Zakarius wrote:

If you're looking for cheap health care which is sucking a government's capital dry, you're welcome to come to Taiwan big_smile

Zak

I'm not looking for something free or even cheap but I assume we would all agree that $1500 a month is absurd. It's sucking me dry. How about something in between.?  I could give a s**t  about isms and ists. I'm talking about $1500 a month.

#14 2009-10-01 13:34:11

Moran from Planet X
Website

Jim Thompson wrote:

It's disturbing my Buddhist principles. One minute I'm imagining merging with the Buddha and the next minute I'm  imagining merging a baseball bat with a health care executive's skull.

I see no problem with this Brother Jim, as long as the baseball bat is jinashi

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#15 2009-10-01 14:58:07

Jim Thompson

I don't see a problem  with it either. That disturbs me.
   Careful Chris. You're becoming a one issue guy.

#16 2009-10-01 20:14:25

Josh
PhD
Website

Hi,
Here in Japan we normally pay $100 a month for my wife and new baby. But, my wife is on about a year's maternity leave and we are all exempt of all medical insurance fees for a year. If we visit the doctor though my wife and I pay 30% (baby is free til age 12). I have to say though that the medical fees aren't ias nflated as the US so 30% isn't much, this spring I paid about $12 to fix a few cavities. We're planning on moving back to the states at some point, I hope Obama and the Dems can get their stuff together and get with the rest of the world on this basic human rights health care issue. My youngest brother is struggling with the system and my other brother joined the army mostly for the benefits..Sad situation. The greed has really gone too far.
Jim, I think you really must be in a trying situation. I hope things work out for you and others.

#17 2009-10-01 20:37:19

Jim Thompson

Thanks Josh,
    I apologize for the darkness and appreciate your understanding. You guys are younger so maybe they won't hit you too hard but once you hit 55 they just try to run you off with absurd premiums.  We're having a very clearly delineated battle between good and evil here and good is a severe underdog. Very dramatic.
   Again,  thanks for your understanding.  The darkness of my previous post is just a reflection of how scared I am to know they can actually do this to us. We are going to tip one way or the other.
                         Good luck to all of us
                              Jim

#18 2009-10-02 12:20:20

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Jim Thompson wrote:

That's quite reasonable. The situation here is diabolical for the individual purchaser of private health insurance. Go Obama!

I am so happy to be from a country where health insurance is for everyone - for free. But we are - after all - world champion in taxes! There is always a dark side to everything!  neutral
But hey, the government gives us salaries when studying from the age of 16 till we finish with the Masters. I shouldn't complain.

I do hope for a change for the people of the US on the health insurance front! Good luck!

PS. We get 9 month maternity leave - for the mother and 2 month (I think) for the father + later on one of the parents can take another year off on highest unemployment rate.

Last edited by Kiku Day (2009-10-02 12:22:46)

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#19 2009-10-02 14:22:29

Jim Thompson

Hi Kiku,
    The U.S. is the only industrialized nation that doesn't have health care for all of its citizens. Taxes are an easy thing to demonize but it's not taxes that are burying my budget. I'd be happy to pay a few more dollars of taxes to get this vile leech off my back.
     Thanks for the good wishes. If we get the public option like Obama wants it means the people have in an important way reclaimed their government. If we don't get it it means the corporations will keep their stranglehold. Somethings gotta give.

Board footer