World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#26 2009-09-21 22:00:03

edosan
Edomologist

Re: glorious failures in music

Lorka wrote:

Maybe some monk was loitering about and overheard another monk playing and said "hey, wait a minute, that was pretty good, do that one again."  Thus, without intention,  what started as meditation, as a following of the breath, could have been suddenly transformed into a composition.  Then again, I'm probably way off on that one.

Most likely, they were trying to emulate sutra chanting, or shomyo of one kind or another, but it's still a nice thought; 'the controlled accident', how very Zen smile

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#27 2009-09-22 09:23:50

lowonthetotem
Website

"Zen" used as an adjective?  Stewardess, where are the barf bags?

"Turn like a wheel inside a wheel."

#28 2009-09-22 11:10:56

edosan
Edomologist

lowonthetotem wrote:

"Zen" used as an adjective?  Stewardess, where are the barf bags?

Obviously, you haven't achieved Zen yet...oh delicate flower.

Last edited by edosan (2009-09-22 11:12:14)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#29 2009-09-22 11:25:23

Peter Kororo
Website

A couple of somewhat random thoughts, for what they're worth:

William Faulkner once remarked that all of his novels were "magnificent failures."

After learning a numer of Shinkyoku over the years, I've stopped playing most of them because the shakuhachi parts aren't, to me, inspiring; hardly any were written by players and IMO it feels that way. One piece I think does "get it"  is Kangen Hissho, so the line is fine.

Kind of like that of playing the honkyoku as taught, yet making them your own....until then it's a kind of failure, even if you can manage a magnificent one, and so as I see it failure is an integral part of the process as an above comment seemed to be saying.

And Yoshio sensei told me back in my Kyoto days that he wanted to play "everything ever written for the shakuhachi." I thought and think that's great (though I myself agree more with Phil Nyokai on that point) because from what I know of him I think his feeling is that even a "terrible piece" will contain wonderful nuggets in it, or may reveal something to the player, even if it isn't until (much) later. I, personally, don't have that kind of patience.

Last edited by Peter Kororo (2009-09-22 11:26:24)

“Many people come, looking, looking. Some people come, see.”
                        —Nepalese saying

#30 2009-09-23 10:03:19

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Lorka,
Let me answer you in a week's time or so.
There is also the possibility I need a break from other stuff and suddenly feel like writing about composers etc. But it may be a bit optimistic. Just to let you know I am not just ignoring your questions and ideas. smile

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#31 2009-09-23 13:21:02

Lorka

Thanks Kiku, I look forward to your thoughts.

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#32 2009-10-02 17:28:18

Kiku Day
Website

Since time has passed since Lorka posted this, I'd quote his post in full length:

Lorka wrote:

Interesting points Kiku,

You're probably right about the distinction between being able to play, and being able to compose.  Though I get the feeling that the better you are at playing, the more options and possibilities open up (sadly, I do not speak from experience here).   I'm not sure what you meant by "safe and boring" though.  Maybe you could expand on that a bit.  Either way, it got me thinking about the idea of simplicity versus complexity, and how oftentimes what appears to be one, is in fact the other.   

I don't mean to flog the kyorei-horse, but this is a simple, direct piece.  Not particulary flashy.  From a technical point, I'm sure it's not that difficult, yet the simplicity affords it great room for personal expression, tone colour, and that sort of thing.  In short, the piece is kind of safe and boring, in the sense that it is not technically demanding, but it is complex in terms of what you choose to put into it.  The same could be true of any piece.  This tends to blur the line between composition and expression, but that, at least to me, is one of the beautiful things about shakuhachi.  It allows for a complex range of self-expression.   Maybe in the logic of breathing, with one breath following the next, a pattern begins to emerge and without intentional effort something approaching a composition is born.  I get the sense (albeit, an overly romanticized one) that the original shakuhachi pieces emerged in just such a way, as a form of sonic meditation.  Maybe some monk was loitering about and overheard another monk playing and said "hey, wait a minute, that was pretty good, do that one again."  Thus, without intention,  what started as meditation, as a following of the breath, could have been suddenly transformed into a composition.  Then again, I'm probably way off on that one.

Hi again, Lorka.
More or less back to life again... IF there is a life after a PhD. I hope so - at least! wink

You are right about the fact that a brilliant player should have access to more techniques and exciting deep knowledge about the instrument. However, playing skills and imagination or composition skills do not always follow each other - I think at least.

My experience is that as a player who has gone through a long training process to lean the instrument has embodied certain techniques and it can be very hard to do something else than what we are used to - at least on our own initiative (remember I am talking out of my own experience).
What composers can do - if the collaboration is successful - is not only to compose complex pieces, but also think outside the shakuhachi-player-box.  For example Takahashi Yuji's piece that he wrote for me is extremely bare and minimalistic. It has just as much scope for expression like Kyorei. Shimura Satoshi who premiered the piece in Japan told me he approached it as he would approach... exaxtly Kyorei. I didn't think abot Kyorei as such, but I also thought I'd approach it as a simple honkyoku.
Thus, what I was hoping was to via the medium of the composers to be able to create in collaboration new pieces that goes beyond what I have done before on the shakuhachi, but not particularly in a complexity manner.
I give you an example. The composer Mogens Christensen heard certain types of whistle tones that occurs when playing the shakuhachi as a crisp glass-like sound. He used that sound as a part of the structure of the piece and opposed it to breath sounds. For me the whistle tones - although very different in character of timbre - are sounds created by air hitting other places than the places creating a pitched sound. So I categorised them as windy sounds. I would never have thought of opposing these two sounds against as contrasting.

I am not sure I explain myself clearly enough.... mmmm.... still SO tired. I might give it another go tomorrow. Let me know if you can make sense out of this.

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#33 2009-10-03 00:17:36

Zakarius

Kiku Day wrote:

I am not sure I explain myself clearly enough.... mmmm.... still SO tired. I might give it another go tomorrow. Let me know if you can make sense out of this.

Seems pretty clear to me... and reading your last post makes me want to compose more pieces. Thanks wink

Zak

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#34 2009-10-03 07:12:51

nyokai
shihan
Website

Very clear, Kiku.

I think that's right, composers who don't play the instrument they're writing for often create work that explores new and interesting territory. It is very rare that a shakuhachi player writes anything as interesting and profound as Denyer's "Unnamed," for instance. But it is important to note that by working closely with Iwamoto he had developed a real understanding of the instrument and its possibilities, something that many composers, in their academic ghetto, don't bother with. At the one extreme you have some good shakuhachi players who write trivially from a bag of tricks, at the other you have composers who don't ever perform on ANYTHING and work exclusively from theory rather than the physicality of instruments (and instrumentalists). I am glad you found at least three composers who bridge this gap.

Confirming your observation, I notice that I naturally write much better for instruments I don't play well, and that it's a real struggle to regain "beginners mind" well enough to write something non-trivial for shakuhachi. Usually things that I try to write for shakuhachi end up as pieces for other instruments. After many hours of silence and as much radical rejection as possible of everything I know about shakuhachi, I can sometimes -- very very rarely -- come up with a shakuhachi piece I'm provisionally happy with.

Last edited by nyokai (2009-10-03 07:28:36)

#35 2009-10-04 00:33:05

Lorka

Thanks Kiku, I enjoyed the post.  From what you describe, it sounds, at least in part, that the job of the composer is to come up with unique applications of sound that those trained according to specific traditions may not normally consider.  I see the strengths in this, but also see how such composers would also, of necessity, miss certain things, as they are not often as deeply immersed in the tradition as the players may be (I hope that makes some kind of sense).  I'm in the boat of struggling to first comprehend the shakuhachi traditions (no small task) and then learning the pieces.  I think too many people are experimentally inclined, but do not take the time to first learn the traditions.  In order to be untraditional, it helps to know the tradition. 

Oh, by the way, do you have a copy of the Takahashi Yuji piece that was composed for you.  It sounds intriguing.  I'm sure others would love to hear it too.  Very curious.

Last edited by Lorka (2009-10-04 01:33:44)

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#36 2009-10-12 01:19:42

Kiku Day
Website

Lorka wrote:

Oh, by the way, do you have a copy of the Takahashi Yuji piece that was composed for you.  It sounds intriguing.  I'm sure others would love to hear it too.  Very curious.

I do have concert recordings, which havenøt been recorded with the best equipments. My plan is to have all the pieces recorded in the near future. I'll let you know, Lorka.

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

Board footer