Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-08-17 11:37:07

purehappiness

Reading/ watching book walking meditation by Thich nhat hanh

I am currently reading/watching(DVD) from this book and the similarities between shakuahchi and meditation/ walking meditation are real close. I read one excerpt where he said to exhale as much as you can and you will make your lungs healthier and increase your blood circulation. Also, he refers to having a small smile. Boy, if that isn't shakuachi nothing is. It is a great book to get you started on walking meditation though.It looks like I am going to start walking meditation smile

Last edited by purehappiness (2009-08-17 11:37:58)

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#2 2009-08-17 14:18:04

Kouu

Re: Reading/ watching book walking meditation by Thich nhat hanh

That's very interesting.

Last week I tried to play while walking. I was thinking that maybe I could combine walking meditation with shakuhachi. Well, suffice it to say that I can barely play a decent note while sitting still, much less while moving.

But it did make me wonder about the Komuso. Did they play while wandering, or did they wander then play? Was walking, while meditating or playing, a formal part of their practice?

Is there a walking counterpart to zazen and suizen?

#3 2009-08-17 14:18:11

Karmajampa
Website

You can also blow Shakuhachi as you walk. Observe your breath.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#4 2009-08-17 16:28:16

purehappiness

I can do both. I have 7 months of practice under my belt though(really not that much). I didn't think of trying that. Thanks for the thought.Walking suizen smile

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#5 2009-08-17 20:03:07

Glenn Swann
Website

often do myself. really nice feeling as the rhythm of the steps, breath and notes all fall together. of course ideal out on a trail in the wood.....

walking meditation in the zen tradition is called kinhin. usually just a short time in between rounds of zazen.

on a larger scale, the whole act of henro, or pilgrimage, is sort of walking meditation.

some of the most wonderful expressions of walking zen, in the sense of travel rather than kinhin, are the haiku of taneda santoka- alot are translated here
http://thegreenleaf.co.uk/HP/Santoka/00haiku.htm

I followed rivers, I followed orders,I followed prophets, I followed leaders
I followed rivers, I followed highways,I followed conscience,
I followed dreamers... And I'm back here,
and I'm back here... At the edge of the sky       (New Model Army)

#6 2009-08-17 22:20:26

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Supposedly the song "Sogei no Kyoku" is intended for walking meditation.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#7 2009-08-18 06:09:59

purehappiness

I am going to have to learn that song. smile

Lieh-tzu

#8 2009-08-18 09:08:48

lowonthetotem
Website

TNH is one of my lineage teachers.  My Zen teacher was one of his students and is ordained in his Order of Interbeing.  All of his books are really good.  Each one provides a "complete" teaching, instead of relying on some previously learned body of knowledge.  In other books he gives instruction on prostrations and other meditative practices.  I particularly enjoy his latest comentary on the teachings of Linji/Lin Chi/Rinzai; it's called Nothing to Do, Nowhere to Go or it might be Nowhere to Go, Nothing to Do.  I recommend it highly.

"Turn like a wheel inside a wheel."

#9 2009-08-18 09:14:42

purehappiness

I want to get his book "Breathe". It sounds interesting.

Lieh-tzu

#10 2009-08-18 11:25:52

lowonthetotem
Website

I have not read that one yet.  The interesting thing about TNH and shakuhachi is the close relationship between Rinzai/Linji Buddhism and the instrument.  TNH is considered to be the 42nd Patriarch of the Linji School of Dhyana, at least by his followers.  Of course, people outside of his tradition may consider others to be the present Patriarch.  I am not trying to make an assertion that is meant to belittle anyone else's spiritual friend or tradition.  However, it often seems that many people think TNH has his own brand of Buddhism, but his monastic training and his teachings are well established in traditional Mahayana principles as well as Zen, although his is the Vietnamese tradition.  Japanese schools are likely to claim Japanese Patriarchs and Chinese schools are likely to claim Chinese patriarchs; however, the Zen tradition in Vietnam (Thien, which is just Vietnamese for Zen/Chan/Dhyana) is a very old tradition, preceding Zen in Japan even by some accounts.  Even within Vietnam Thay's title of Patriarch is disputed by some because he left the country.

All in all, he is a highly realised teacher, regardless of what title you choose to recognize.  I think that is why his books are so accessible to so many.  I feel pretty lucky to have had the opportunity to study with someone who has learned from him face to face.  However, my teacher often warns against putting him too high on a pedastel and turning all the work he has accomplished into little more than a cult of personality.  That is why I think it is important to view his teachings within the tradition in which he has practiced.  He didn't make this stuff up on his own, and he certainly isn't some New Agey wannabe.  Of course, you won't find many Buddhist teachers who have the guts to say:

1. The First Mindfulness Training: Openness
Aware of the suffering created by fanaticism and intolerance, we are determined not to be idolatrous about or bound to any doctrine, theory, or ideology, even Buddhist ones. Buddhist teachings are guiding means to help us learn to look deeply and to develop our understanding and compassion. They are not doctrines to fight, kill, or die for.

Many Buddhists have said that this amounts to disparaging the Dharma, but it really gets at the heart of Linji's "If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him."

#11 2009-08-18 11:34:37

purehappiness

Very good points. Thank you.

Lieh-tzu

#12 2009-08-18 18:14:13

Kouu

Glenn Swann wrote:

often do myself. really nice feeling as the rhythm of the steps, breath and notes all fall together. of course ideal out on a trail in the wood.....

walking meditation in the zen tradition is called kinhin. usually just a short time in between rounds of zazen.

on a larger scale, the whole act of henro, or pilgrimage, is sort of walking meditation.

some of the most wonderful expressions of walking zen, in the sense of travel rather than kinhin, are the haiku of taneda santoka- alot are translated here
http://thegreenleaf.co.uk/HP/Santoka/00haiku.htm

Thank you for that link. I especially like this one

sitting by myself
the mosquitoes
wont leave me alone

That's pretty much how I spent my day today. But I did try 'walking suizen' again, this time just blowing ro. I work in a wooded area where I can practice at lunchtime. I think I'll try walking now and then to add variety to my practice sessions.

#13 2009-08-18 22:19:39

Karmajampa
Website

There are probably many ways to view a 'walking meditation', classically it is initially done very slowly, simply observing the placing of the heel, then the foot, the lifting of the other foot, moving, placing, lifting....and so on. Bare attention to this simple detail.
I think the komuso played as they walked, either individually or in a line.
But you can explore how the breath changes from that when sitting or standing and playing, then while walking, and particularly when walking uphill.
note the degree of calm in the breath. Or does it become agitated ? And how does the duration change ?
It is not a test of physical ability but and observation and exploration of the mind and body changes in more detail.
You can simply blow only one note if you wish.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#14 2009-08-19 06:01:04

purehappiness

The book states to inhale for three steps then exhale for three steps. It also states to try and go barefoot so you can be more in touch with the earth. I guess it is more about mindfullness. Using conscious breathing with stepping. It is fascinating.

Last edited by purehappiness (2009-08-19 06:01:47)

Lieh-tzu

#15 2009-08-26 09:11:35

purehappiness

Well, I picked up Breathe, you are alive. I recommend it. smile Lots of guided meditation.

Lieh-tzu

#16 2009-10-22 00:16:21

sasabuki

I'm a follower of TNH (Dharma name "profound spring of the heart"). A wonderful teaching/gata/song of his is: "The mind can go in a thousand directions, but on this beautiful path I walk in peace. With each step a gentle wind blows, with each step a flower blooms." I often think of this and sing this song before shaku playing.

#17 2009-10-22 06:20:00

purehappiness

I like that.I read somewhere on how a zen student can find beauty in a weed. I believe a weed is just as beautiful as a flower. I have some weeds in my yard that have even more beautiful flowers than say, a Rose.

Last edited by purehappiness (2009-10-22 08:50:21)

Lieh-tzu

#18 2009-10-22 09:00:51

lowonthetotem
Website

sasabuki wrote:

I'm a follower of TNH (Dharma name "profound spring of the heart"). A wonderful teaching/gata/song of his is: "The mind can go in a thousand directions, but on this beautiful path I walk in peace. With each step a gentle wind blows, with each step a flower blooms." I often think of this and sing this song before shaku playing.

Hello, Profound Spring of the Heart.  I was named Source of True Seeing.  Good to meet you here.

In his biography of the Buddha, I forget the name, something about clouds and a path, Thay seems to emphasize Siddhartha's fondness for the flute and the joy that it brings his friends to listen,

#19 2009-10-22 09:35:41

Glenn Swann
Website

lowonthetotem wrote:

sasabuki wrote:

Hello, Profound Spring of the Heart.  I was named Source of True Seeing.  Good to meet you here.

In his biography of the Buddha, I forget the name, something about clouds and a path, Thay seems to emphasize Siddhartha's fondness for the flute and the joy that it brings his friends to listen,

Old Path White Clouds

I followed rivers, I followed orders,I followed prophets, I followed leaders
I followed rivers, I followed highways,I followed conscience,
I followed dreamers... And I'm back here,
and I'm back here... At the edge of the sky       (New Model Army)

#20 2009-10-22 13:07:36

lowonthetotem
Website

That's the one.  I am terrible at remembering titles of books.

If anyone is interested, Thay sometimes writes letters to his Sangha, as well as the general public.  You can read them here.

http://www.plumvillage.org/letters-from-thay.html

#21 2009-10-22 14:01:18

purehappiness

Another book to read. smile

Lieh-tzu

Board footer