Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-07-10 16:02:37

Medit8b1
Website

Yet another sacrificial lamb to the bamboo gods

Hello, my name is Kevin, and I am yet another wanderer drawn to the sound of wind in bamboo. It’s funny, but I have noticed that allot of members here came to the Shakuhachi via Irish flute/whistle or Irish music in general. I came to the Shakuhachi via the Native American style flute, but came to the Native flute via Irish music. (Quite the odd segue I realize, and a bit of a story at that. If your curiosity is killing you there is more detail on my website. I’ll leave it out here for spaces sake) I have been a musician of some sort for over 15 years now, and I’ve always found myself drawn to the “traditional” or “folk” music of indigenous cultures.  Whether it’s the tribal beat of African or Native American drums or the lilting dance music of Ireland, Scotland and Cape Breton, to the poignant, ennui /evanescence of Japanese gagaku and honkyoku. These and many other world musics have for me an intrinsic earthiness and/or spirituality.  (This is a subject I look forward to expounding upon and generally getting myself in trouble with in the zen section of this forum).
But back to the Shakuhachi, I just started taking lessons a month or so ago with my most excellent teacher Phil Nyokai James, who also happens to be a moderator on this site. (Hi Phil!) I started on a Yuu and just recently purchased a beautiful (looking and sounding) 1.8 by David Brown made from Maple. I am still nervous to drop a lot of money on bamboo due to a deep fear of cracking as I live in a climate best known for it’s instability.  However I don’t know how long I will be able to hold off as I currently covet my teachers 2.8 jinashi in a most un-buddhist way.
  Speaking of un-buddhist, one of the things that attracted me to the Shakuhachi initially was the idea of it being a long process (ie where the journey is more important than the destination). After reading Ray Brooks “Blowing Zen”, I made the decision that I did not want to try to learn the Shakuhachi on my own, as I felt I would be missing an important part of the experience without a teacher. But I had never realized just how attached (in a typical western manner) I am to the destination or goal until I started struggling with this “simple” flute. My Professional Musicians Ego said I want to play it Now! Lessons and practicing now seem to be less learning and more a battle of wills with my Ego, which always seems to come out severely bruised. This, I frequently remind myself, is a good thing, and what I wanted in the first place, right? Which brings us back to the old adage, be careful what you ask for…
     Thanks to all of you for taking the time to read this, I look forward to many long tirades, I mean discussions on this unique instrument and thanks to everyone involved in running and maintaining this wonderful website, which is an invaluable resource. (Insert Gassho and bow here)

#2 2006-07-10 18:15:39

dstone
Website

Re: Yet another sacrificial lamb to the bamboo gods

Medit8b1 wrote:

My Professional Musicians Ego said I want to play it Now! Lessons and practicing now seem to be less learning and more a battle of wills with my Ego, which always seems to come out severely bruised. This, I frequently remind myself, is a good thing, and what I wanted in the first place, right?

Welcome Kevin. 

From a fellow, bruised novice, I wish your ego as minimal a future as you're capable of subjecting it to!  ;-) And congrats on finding a teacher.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#3 2006-07-10 19:03:16

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Medit8b1 wrote:

I made the decision that I did not want to try to learn the Shakuhachi on my own, as I felt I would be missing an important part of the experience without a teacher.

A novel idea, let's hope it catches on. Welcome to the forum and regards to Nyokai!

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#4 2006-07-10 22:46:02

Michael Howard
Website

Welcome Kevin!

The Tao is (like) the emptiness of a vessel; and in our employment of it we must be on our guard against all fulness. How deep and unfathomable it is, as if it were the Honoured Ancestor of all things!

www.kolbeflutes.com       http://www.myspace.com/bushidoshakuhachi

Board footer