Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-07-04 18:07:22

dstone
Website

Ian Anderson on bamboo

Hi.  I have read that Ian Anderson occasionally plays some flavour of bamboo flute.  I picked up a 1995 album, cheap, Divinities - Twelve Dances With God, on the off chance there was interesting flute on it.

Anderson plays flute on every track.  I'd describe the pieces as somewhere between new age, folk, and classical.  Yes, this is the progressive rocker behind Jethro Tull, so it's all very layered and carefully orchestrated.

Here is an excerpt from one track that he apparently plays bamboo.  This is one of the more new agey tracks on the album.  Shakuhachi, or processed, or something else, I'm not sure...

Ian Anderson - Divinities - 05 - In Maternal Grace - EXCERPT

Personally, I'm not getting much out of this album.  I much prefer Anderson's flute in some of his Tull years.  Enjoy the sample, anyways.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#2 2006-07-04 21:49:21

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

Re: Ian Anderson on bamboo

it sounds more like a quena.
Or maybe a bansuri..

Thanks for the sample

I like his TULL Flute better.
I will do a version of Bouree this summer.

Geni

#3 2006-07-05 03:23:14

Karmajampa
Website

Hmmmmm.....sounds a bit 'pan flutish', I have a lot of Tull, think Anderson is brilliant, he certainly put out a lot of work. If I heard this without knowing who it was, I would not think 'Ian Anderson'.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#4 2006-07-05 08:14:41

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Here in Wisconsin Jethro Tull is the ONLY flute 90% of the population have heard in their lifetime, unless they have also heard Zamfir. Usually when I perform in a bar or club there is somebody who must make a comparison.

I went to see Tull recently and had a hilarious role moderating a domestic squabble.

Him: No way man, Ian Anderson would never do that!

Her: You're wrong. It was definitely on tape.

Him (turning around and seeing me): Dude, you look like you know about music. Was Ian Anderson playing the flute or was it on tape?

Me: He played some of it and some was sampled.

Her: I told you the flute was still going even when he was singing!

Him: Oh man!

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#5 2006-07-14 04:12:08

Peter Phippen

Hi all,

The Bamboo Flute Anderson plays is a Patrick Olwell transverse bamboo flute. In my mind Patrick is the best transverse flute maker alive.

Patrick Olwell
P.O. Box 117
Nellysford VA.
(No-Website)

Patrick is an Irish flute maker who has really done his homework on early transverse flutes, then improved them.

His waiting list is about a year for a wooden keyless flute and about 6 years for a keyed flute.

The bamboo flutes he makes are the best I have ever played. (and I have checked out many)

I have played Patrick's bamboo transverse flutes for the last 10 years as my main modern flutes for recording and live shows.

If you get a chance to get one, buy it. You will not be sorry.

All good to everyone,
Peter Phippen

#6 2006-07-14 10:51:40

Harry
Website

I have an F Olwell bamboo flute. Very, very nice. It was hand picked by a great Irish player called Frankie Kennedy (sadly no longer with us).

I was given a C model as well. Different beast, maybe not just so well suited for Irish melody, but still a very nice flute, and at a good price.

His standard keyed and un-keyed flutes are not to my personal taste for Irish traditional music, but they are the choice of many very fine players. At any rate they are very good instruments.

Regards,

Harry.

"As God once said, and I think rightly..." (Margaret Thatcher)

#7 2006-09-04 18:01:10

Osorno2

Ian Anderson is really one of my favourite flautist!
Here in Holland I have sooo much trouble to show that flute is a masculine and powerfull instrument: I don't have a single male pupil...............
When I'm performing I always choose pieces that guys can relate to, but it's kinda a lonely cruisade I'm afraid.
Is this a worldwide problem?
I would love to hear whether the majority of pupils on the (silver) flute is female.....or not....

It apears that most shakuhachi-players are male, or is this my imagination?

#8 2006-09-05 00:22:16

bluespiderweb

Peter Phippen wrote:

Hi all,

The Bamboo Flute Anderson plays is a Patrick Olwell transverse bamboo flute. In my mind Patrick is the best transverse flute maker alive.
Patrick Olwell
P.O. Box 117
Nellysford VA.
(No-Website)

Patrick is an Irish flute maker who has really done his homework on early transverse flutes, then improved them.
His waiting list is about a year for a wooden keyless flute and about 6 years for a keyed flute.
The bamboo flutes he makes are the best I have ever played. (and I have checked out many)
I have played Patrick's bamboo transverse flutes for the last 10 years as my main modern flutes for recording and live shows.
If you get a chance to get one, buy it. You will not be sorry.

All good to everyone,
Peter Phippen

Unfortunately, Patrick is no longer making the bamboo flutes, in order to concentrate on his backlog of wooden flute orders.

Be well,  Barry

#9 2006-09-05 11:51:13

edosan
Edomologist

Another excellent maker of bamboo transverse flutes (and several interesting/bizarre variants, such as a bamboo 'saxophone') is
Romy Benton, in Portland, OR.

Here's a page at his site displaying his wares: http://romyb.com/gallery/inst/Five_Rack

For more info, use the navigation menus at the top of the page.

Great workmanship, in tune, very playable (he's an excellent player himself), and friendly service.

eB

Last edited by edosan (2008-02-14 09:38:18)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

Board footer