Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-11-12 21:13:58

Akikaze

Greetings from the Garden State

Hello everyone smile

My name is Anna and I live in New Jersey.  I am a mommy to a wonderful toddler and husband and work full-time at a public library.
I am a Zen student of the MRO and began practicing the shakuhachi a month ago.  I hope to one day play and hold an actual note!
That is, if I don't pass out first.

Gassho,
Anna

Wordless is not the same of expressionless. All phenomenon of the universe, audible and inaudible, tangible and intangible, sentient and insentient, are the clear and ceaseless expression of the buddha nature.
-John Daido Loori, Roshi

#2 2009-11-12 22:11:32

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Re: Greetings from the Garden State

Hi Anna
Welcome to the forum. I know what you mean - when I first started I would get really dizzy in my lessons from blowing so much! Actually to make a good sound doesn't take much breath. As you get used to it, you will find you can make a good sound with less and less breath, as your embouchure becomes more efficient.
Good luck!

#3 2009-11-13 02:07:29

Glenn Swann
Website

Anna,
welcome. i think all any of us could ask for is to REALLY just play and hold an actual note! smile

love the "akikaze" moniker...

我が祈り浄土へ渡せ秋の風 (竹海) Waga inori/joudo he watase/aki no kaze  (chikukai)
Autumn windー/carry my prayer across/ to the Pure Land   

ganbare!
----------------------------------------
ps- happened to just read this quote by shakuhachi maker Murata Hozan, from David Sawyer's website http://japanshakuhachi.com  :

"Shakuhachi is not an easy instrument, however this difficulty is why it is so attractive! There is only a small difference between shakuhachi being very difficult and being very attractive. 80 percent of its sound quality is made by the player, only 20 percent is in the domain of the flute. With good bamboo and good construction you get good tone color and good pitch control, but the rest is up to how the player holds his breath in his lungs, how he maintains pressure in his mouth cavity, how he uses the muscles of his cheeks and tongue, and how he concentrates the flow of air, and at what angle across the utaguchi. So most of the sound coming from a shakuhachi is due to body mechanics. I can't think of any other instrument which has such an intimate relationship with the body.

Shakuhachi sound can be compared to the human voice: it can never produce exactly the same sound twice because the tongue, mouth, flute relationship is subtle and always changing. An excellent player will find his sound quality changing from moment to moment throughout the day, sometimes good, sometimes not so good. Everyone experiences this frustrating phenomenon and we often blame it on the flute!

The neophyte shakuhachi player is like a new-born baby just beginning to use its vocal cords. For the first six months nothing very intelligible comes out, but with a lot of yelling and experimentation, words finally emerge. Shakuhachi players go through a trial by fire!..."

Last edited by Glenn Swann (2009-11-13 02:21:22)

I followed rivers, I followed orders,I followed prophets, I followed leaders
I followed rivers, I followed highways,I followed conscience,
I followed dreamers... And I'm back here,
and I'm back here... At the edge of the sky       (New Model Army)

#4 2009-11-13 02:18:00

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Hi Anna.

Welcome to the forum.
Great to see more women here! wink
Regular practice is the key word - so if you keep at it, it will only improve.
Good luck and enjoy the wonderful path of shakuhachi!

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#5 2009-11-13 11:28:22

nyokai
shihan
Website

Hi Anna --
Coincidentally another MRO member, also a woman, also in NJ, just started lessons with me. Perhaps you know her -- her dharma name is Chikai? If you want to get in touch with her and ask her about shakuhachi study, email me and I'll get you her info.

#6 2009-11-13 18:45:49

Kohl
Website

Hey Anna,

Welcome! Great to see another MRO practitioner on here. I practice at Fire Lotus here in Brooklyn and regularly sit sesshins at ZMM. Please say hey if you see me around; my dharma name's 'Seiho'. While I play daily and study consistently with my teacher (James 'Nyoraku' Schlefer), I'm no expert. Nonetheless, I offer my limited experience to support your process. Without question studying shakuhachi has proven to be an excellent skillful means; as an art practice clearly, but also, particularly in cultivating the paramitas of giving, diligent effort, concentration, and definitely, definitely patience. By the way, I think I hyperventilated for some time. No big deal. It was fun, in a twitchy eyelids, tingling fingertips kind of way. I'd just lie down and watch my head spin for a few moments. Then sit up and try again. It always feels good to try again.

Oh! I just remembered that Perry Yung is coming by Fire Lotus on Feb. 6 to do a shakuhachi making workshop. Having done a workshop with him before, I can't recommend it enough. Maybe I'll see you there.

Here's a quote from Daido Roshi from an interview about photography on youtube, "That's the heart of the zen aesthetic, of the arts of zen, the brush paints by itself, the shakuhachi plays by itself, the dance is the dancer, the camera photographs."

I wish you well on the journey.

Warm Regards,
Kohl

"I begin to feel the depths of a bamboo path..."
                              Meng Hao-Jan (689-740)

Board footer