Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-07-17 16:25:36

1hoboe2
Website

mid 20th century shakuhachi maker

Does anyone have any information on the shakuhachi maker, Bifu?  I believe he worked in the 1930's and 1940's.  I have one of his flutes which is outstanding, but no knowledge of its maker.

I am the former principal oboist of the Toronto Symphony, and professor of music at the university of Michigan.  I became entranced by the shakuhachi on one of my several trips to Japan.  I now spend my time practising and studying with Michael Chikuzen Gould, as well as  pursuing a part-time career as a photographer.

#2 2006-07-18 17:14:16

Moran from Planet X
Website

Re: mid 20th century shakuhachi maker

Peter Hill in the sales section of his site reibo.org has said that the Bifu (Beautiful Wind) Kai (group) of the Kinko Ryu was headed by Satoh Seibi -- a student of Yoshida Seifu .

From what I have heard,  Satoh was a man from a wealthy family who in the 1930s founded the Bifu Kai to spread shakuhachi playing among the greater Japanese population by making reasonably priced (and possibly free) instruments and instruction -- a kind of "shakuhachi evangelist".

Peter currently has a Satoh Seibi 1.6 instrument on his site with the stamp (hanko)  "Ouka, which means Sakura (Cherry tree)". Apparently instruments with this stamp are "particularly good examples of the work of the (Bifu) Kai's maker or makers."

As usual, I hope that others more knowledgeable feel free to correct or add to my information as needed.

I have a 1.8 Bifu Kai that has been reburbished by Perry Yung of yungflutes.com and Monty Levenson of  shakuhachi.com. I use the hanko from that instrument as my forum 'avatar' at left.

Last edited by Chris Moran (2006-07-19 05:54:53)

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

Board footer