Tube of delight!

#51 2009-11-30 01:46:24

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Stop and make some tea

edosan wrote:

Todd Frederick wrote:

However, I guess that the YUU is a consistent and well tuned flute, though I think that natural wood would produce sounds not possible with a synthetic material. Any thoughts?

Not really, and especially not at a beginner playing level. Even though there are people on this forum (big, powerful people...) who will argue till the sun burns out that the bamboo has a profound effect on sound produced by a properly shaped flute, the effect of the PLAYER on the sound is so very much more profound than the material the flute is made of. This is not to say that the bamboo (or whatever) has no effect at all.

I will now pull my thick iron protective shield over my head, and prepare myself.......

Pagan. Infidel. Traitor. Weeniehead.

Actually Ed is right here...........player is by far the number one factor in the sound.

Boulder Festival '96 a student at Yokoyama Sensei's class said, "I think there is something wrong with my flute."

Yokoyama grabbed it and made a great histrionic display of having difficulty making a sound and the student looked relieved. Then Yokoyama played some beautiful stuff on it and said, "Not the flute." or something to that effect.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#52 2009-11-30 10:16:25

Todd Frederick

There's a mythical story about the author Lack London having his portrait taken by the legendary photographer Karsh: London said, "I love your portraits. You must have a very fine camera." Karsh responded, "And I enjoy your novels. You must have a wonderful typewriter."

I'm just a beginner with the shakuhachi. I would play as poorly with a Yuu, a PVC, or a master's bamboo flute.

It's about practice and I'm in no rush.

Last edited by Todd Frederick (2009-11-30 10:17:11)

#53 2009-11-30 11:26:48

Rick Riekert

Mythical story indeed Todd, since Karsh was only 7 years old when London died in 1916. London might have written his stories without a typewriter but Karsh would have been hard pressed to render his wonderful portraits without a camera. And in fact Karsh did not use a Polaroid Land Camera but highly sophisticated custom built ones, so he must have thought his instrument made a real difference, which of course it did.

Mastery does not lay in the mastery of technique, but in penetrating the heart of the music. However, he who has not mastered the technique will not penetrate the heart of the music.
~ Hisamatsu Fûyô

#54 2009-11-30 12:06:32

edosan
Edomologist

Tairaku wrote:

Boulder Festival '96 [actually '98 ~eB] a student at Yokoyama Sensei's class said, "I think there is something wrong with my flute."

Yokoyama grabbed it and made a great histrionic display of having difficulty making a sound and the student looked relieved. Then Yokoyama played some beautiful stuff on it and said, "Not the flute." or something to that effect.

And a good thing, too, otherwise Yokoyama might've whipped out a knife and started whittling on it smile

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#55 2009-11-30 12:38:36

Todd Frederick

Rick,  I really couldn't recall the exact persons involved (I'll check it out) and your photographic history knowledge is impressive, however, I hope you didn't lose the point of the story amongst the details.

Edit: I just did some checking. Wrong photographer. The correct story:

"When Jack London had his portrait made by the noted San Francisco photographer Arnold Genthe, London began the encounter with effusive praise for the photographic art of his friend and fellow bohemian, Genthe. "you must have a wonderful camera...It must be the best camera in the world...You must show me your camera." Genthe then used his standard studio camera to make what has since become a classic picture of Jack London. When the sitting was finished, Genthe could not contain himself: "I have read your books, Jack, and I think they are important works of art. You must have a wonderful typewriter." - Anonymous"

The point is that the person is more important than the tool.

Last edited by Todd Frederick (2009-11-30 13:01:58)

#56 2009-11-30 13:25:11

nyokai
shihan
Website

Todd Frederick wrote:

I really couldn't recall the exact persons involved...

Arnold Genthe

#57 2009-12-02 22:59:11

Todd Frederick

nyokai,

1.  Arnold Genthe is probably most noted for taking extensive photographs of the 1906 earthquake in San Francisco. His studio was demolished, and he went to a friends photo store and borrowed a Kodak 3A Special folder camera and a large amounts of film, and his is the most extensive coverage of the earthquake ever made using that "amateur" camera.

To all:

2.  In order to better learn how to play the Shakuhachi I just ordered a Yuu, since it seems to be the standard 1.8 and is well tuned. With the help of a friend from this forum I hope to make good progress this next year.

This is a very fine forum and thank you all for your help and excellent suggestions.  Todd

Last edited by Todd Frederick (2009-12-02 23:02:37)

#58 2009-12-05 20:01:05

Todd Frederick

I received the Yuu yesterday.

It is extremely solid and sturdy and is very easy to work the sound holes.

Today I was able to produce very acceptable notes, and I'm working on Ro, Tsu, and Re as well as developing stability with my embrouchure and mouth angle...and posture...very important. This is getting better each day. I would recommend the Yuu as an excellent learning instrument and might even be all that any Shakuhachi amateur would ever need.

It is not as beautiful as an exotic bamboo flute but it does the job and is accuratelt tuned. I'm thinking about ways I might be able to decorate it as some of us old hippies did with our VW buses. LOL 

One of the forum members here is helping me greatly with email lessons. That helps keep me focused on simple steps in learning. Thank you and thank you for the sound clips.

Some of you may remember my lament that I couldn't play even one note.

It does take time...patience...and practice. Once that first note came, and I learned my embouchure, it was easier every time I practiced.

Todd

Last edited by Todd Frederick (2009-12-05 20:05:11)

#59 2009-12-06 19:08:38

Todd Frederick

Just  another thought...

I first started seeking suggestions here about how to play the shakuhachi on September 26, 2009. on the "Making Any Sound Impossible" thread. I played the Native American Flute for a number of years, which is quite easy for basic improvitational melodies and though the
Shakuhachi would be a simple. No such luck.

It is now December 6, 2009 and I am now playing recognizable notes, learning to identify the Japanese notation for these notes, and am refining my embouchure.

I mention this because a couple of months ago I thought about making my flute into "wall art" but now I realize that I CAN do this. If you are having problems, be patient, and shakuhachi will find you.

#60 2009-12-06 20:46:54

Karmajampa
Website

Todd, along the way, did you stop and have some tea ?

K.

Kia Kaha !

#61 2009-12-06 21:41:55

Todd Frederick

karmajampa.......

I have been influenced greatly by Mindful Meditation as described by Thich Nhat Hahn.

I practice many forms of meditation throughout the day, without even being aware of it, even when I rake the dropping from my doggie friends, repair fences, wash dishes or playing shakuhachi.

I did not have tea today. I had some nice coffee, and then chatted with friends on the internet.

I did get very stressed later in the afternoon, took a walk, and centered my mind, and did some shakuhachi practice in before making dinner..

It's always a challenge...day after day after day. Everything is imperfect.

We live for each day, each day at a time, and each day for what it gives to us.

Blessings, Todd

#62 2009-12-07 07:00:56

purehappiness

I feel the shakuhahchi is not something to be rushed. just enjoy what it can give you each day. Some will be bad and some will be good.Before you know it your playing will improve. Slowly, but it will improve.

And I had my cup of tea today. smile

Last edited by purehappiness (2009-12-07 07:52:45)

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#63 2009-12-07 10:56:19

Todd Frederick

I agree. I was getting impatient, I've learned some patience with this flute. A good byproduct.  I'm just working on single notes and happy with what I get. No reason to rush.

#64 2009-12-07 11:09:57

purehappiness

I've been playing 10 months and can get kan consistently 80 percent of the time. We should just enjoy the harmony it brings with what we can do. Shakuhachi teaches how to control ourselves. Our breath, emotions, etc...

Another example may be abdominal breathing which focuses on your lower abdomen(hara). I have noticed a much tighter lower abdomen and centering of myself.

Last edited by purehappiness (2009-12-07 11:40:26)

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#65 2009-12-07 12:00:01

purehappiness

What can be more humbling than to have a blade of grass teach you how to be a better person. smile

Lieh-tzu

#66 2009-12-07 23:17:59

Karmajampa
Website

Todd Frederick wrote:

karmajampa.......

I have been influenced greatly by Mindful Meditation as described by Thich Nhat Hahn.

I practice many forms of meditation throughout the day, without even being aware of it, even when I rake the dropping from my doggie friends, repair fences, wash dishes or playing shakuhachi.

I did not have tea today. I had some nice coffee, and then chatted with friends on the internet.

I did get very stressed later in the afternoon, took a walk, and centered my mind, and did some shakuhachi practice in before making dinner..

It's always a challenge...day after day after day. Everything is imperfect.

We live for each day, each day at a time, and each day for what it gives to us.

Blessings, Todd

I like the way Thih Nat Han related a time when he was giving a public meeting and a man got up and said something like "meditation is a complete waste of time", he left the podium and went and paced the carpark, perhaps sipping tea, and returned several minutes later and explained to the audience that he felt himself get angry at that remark and had to go and calm his mind before continuing.

K.

Kia Kaha !

Board footer