Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-12-09 12:21:14

Lorka

San No Ha

Howdy y'all,

I am working on the piece Kojyonotsuki (from the Koga book, p.46) as a kind of practice for Daiwagaku. 

Anyways, I had a question about moving from Go No Ha, to San No Ha, then back down to Go No Ha.  The piece seems to call for more of a slide up in sound. 

These two Ha notes call for different holes to be covered, but I was wondering if it is allowable to create San no Ha by simply playing Go No Ha in a very Kari position?  In other words, keep the same fingering and just tilt the head back to raise up the pitch.  This feels more natural for the piece in question, but then again, I just got to it, so maybe my way is just lazy and I should do the fingering for San No Ha in the Koga book (1&2 closed, 2 open, 4 closed, and the thumb open).  Thanks

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#2 2009-12-09 14:05:39

edosan
Edomologist

Re: San No Ha

Lorka wrote:

Howdy y'all,

I am working on the piece Kojyonotsuki (from the Koga book, p.46) as a kind of practice for Daiwagaku. 

Anyways, I had a question about moving from Go No Ha, to San No Ha, then back down to Go No Ha.  The piece seems to call for more of a slide up in sound. 

These two Ha notes call for different holes to be covered, but I was wondering if it is allowable to create San no Ha by simply playing Go No Ha in a very Kari position?  In other words, keep the same fingering and just tilt the head back to raise up the pitch.  This feels more natural for the piece in question, but then again, I just got to it, so maybe my way is just lazy and I should do the fingering for San No Ha in the Koga book (1&2 closed, 2 open, 4 closed, and the thumb open).  Thanks

Do the fingering:

1. It's a lot harder to get the pitch right by kari-ing (besides, there is no such fingering, that I'm aware of, but hey it's Japanese notation).
     2. In the piece, he's sliding off of hole three as he goes to San no Ha, but if you listen, you can hear him close hole three as he goes back down.
     3. That's the way it's written...

Also, you don't need to completely open hole 5 to get San no Ha, you can just move your head a tad.

Last edited by edosan (2009-12-09 14:07:00)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2009-12-09 15:09:15

Lorka

Re: San No Ha

Sweet, thanks Ed.  That seems to work well.  Time to go practice more.

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

Board footer