Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-12-03 00:05:38

Jam

Christmas Carols

I've trawled through the forum and not found too many links, so I thought I'd ask here..

Next saturday for work I have to do a presentation about christmas for the local people in my town, and my employers at city hall have asked me to play some Christmassy pieces on shakuhachi for it. Ideally they'd be well known ones, with simple lyrics (as they're learning english, though I would LOVE to hear a Japanese person say Wenceslas). グッド キング ウェンセズラッズ doesn't quite have the same ring to it!

I don't have any notation, I've looked online but most sites seem to be selling the notation as opposed to just having it available. I don't think it's illegal, as the pieces are old, but I may be wrong. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be most grateful!

#2 2009-12-03 03:41:40

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Christmas Carols

Anyone know if Bruce Hunter's got some up?

Do you know about this guy, Jam? He's a wizard who has transcribed for shakuhachi and posted a zillion tunes--ALL kinds/genres--on a sharing website.

Here is the site:

http://www.4shared.com/dir/5119010/dc0a … aring.html

It's full of PDF's, organized by solos, duets, trios, quartets (guy's a phenom, as I said), etc. If you look under shakuhachi solo, you might find somethng you can use (heaps of Irish music in there).

Here's his email: bhunter3@mindspring.com

He's pretty busy (music teacher in a high school, I believe), but he might have time to tell you if there are any carols in there. I didn't take the time to look (it's 1:40AM here).

Only tricky part is figuring out the rhythm in his notation. It's quite logical, and you'll know how the tunes go, anyway (assuming there are any there--I did see Ava Maria--that ought to get the folks' blood rolling smile ).

Last edited by edosan (2009-12-03 03:43:42)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2009-12-03 05:47:13

Jam

Thanks Edosan, much appreciated. This chap's website is a treasure trove, he must be very clever to transcribe all that. I've had a quick trawl through but haven't found anything I can use yet.

#4 2009-12-05 00:16:42

axolotl
Website

Wait a second, there was a whole thread on this!

http://www.shakuhachiforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=923

I knew I recalled some discussion of an arrangement of Silent Night (Stille Nacht, Noche en Paz, what have you) that ended on a Ro O Meri...kind of a killer ending note for the average mortal to play tunefully on a Western song.  smile

#5 2009-12-05 01:18:39

airin
Website

Within the 2006 thread, the link to Ralf's pieces seems to be broken. Did anyone happen to get the notation for his two Xmas pieces before Ralf's site went down?

#6 2009-12-10 15:48:51

radi0gnome
Website

Here's one I just did: http://www.4shared.com/file/170008395/a … STNUT.html

If you read Western notation here's a good source: http://www.scribd.com/The-Real-Christma … d/22575507

BTW, for those who want to play along at home, it'll make it a lot easier if you drill a couple extra holes in the thing.

P.S. Online jazz shakuhachi lessons with Geni Skendo make great gifts!

Last edited by radi0gnome (2009-12-10 19:13:44)

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

Board footer