Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-12-09 12:45:22

heyjude

Shakuhachi Marketplace

Does anyone besides me dislike the new selling forum?  I liked the old format much better. You have to open this one to see if it's changed any and then go through a navigation process to see what's what. I bought flutes from three forum members under the old system, so far I've bought a flute bag on the new one. Most of the time I don't even bother going to the new one. If you want my money better list it on ebay. OK, rant's over.

Jude

Last edited by heyjude (2009-12-10 15:37:43)

"Man cannot live on bread alone, he must have peanut butter" - Kruger Bear

#2 2009-12-09 13:07:43

airin
Website

Re: Shakuhachi Marketplace

Jude, I also dislike the new format.  At the same time I understand that the forum admin are sensitive to abuses by unreasonable sellers on the newsgroup itself. 

Since the marketplace opened I have only gone there twice and didn't find it that easy to navigate.  When we used to have the buy/sell section in the forum I checked it out pretty well every time something was posted.

Other forums I participate in have buy/sell sections and generally these are great places to get the inside scoop and buy or sell to people in the 'community.  In these other forums they generally also have a 'good trader list' and will take action swifty if someone abuses the newsgroup in general or the buy/sell section in particular.

I would be happy to see the buy/sell section returned to this forum.

#3 2009-12-09 21:04:47

nyokai
shihan
Website

I don't have a strong opinion on the merits of shakuhachimarketplace.com, except a great deal of respect for Ken for putting it together, but I LOVE not having the buy/sell stuff here on shakuhachiforum.com.

Last edited by nyokai (2009-12-10 19:25:47)

#4 2009-12-10 09:53:37

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

What I miss, is the low-key aspect of buying flutes from this forum. It was also easier to put a flute on offer here then on the more complex, more hassle-wise shakuhachi marketplace (first register etc.). 
I also have the feeling that more flutes and acc. were offered on this forum then on the new forum.
I would also be happy to see it return personally.

Read more about my shakuhachi adventures at:
Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#5 2009-12-10 12:23:01

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Thanks for your opinions.

I understand how the old buy/sell forum was more convenient for buyers. If that was the only
criteria, we'd have the buy/sell forum of old. Unfortunately, it's not that simple. Like religion or
politics, a funny thing happens when commerce is present in a forum. Inevitably, it eats away
at the meat of the forum, the exchange of shakuhachi ideas.

When making any decisions or changes to the forum, Brian and I need to stand back, look
at the big picture and weigh all possibilities. Although compromise comes with the territory,
the greater good of the forum is always the goal.

KL

#6 2009-12-10 15:31:32

BrianP
Website

I don't have an opinion too much one way or the other but I will say the new marketplace is much more difficult to figure out if you want to list something.  I tried and gave up.  I do highly respect Ken and Brian for taking the time to put ti together.

The Florida Shakuhachi Camp
http://www.floridashakuhachi.com
Brian's Shakuhachi Blog
http://gaijinkomuso.blogspot.com

#7 2009-12-10 16:59:25

Moran from Planet X
Website

Granted that the user-interface is not as fancy or appears as easy to use as the eBay interface. The visual design is not as esthetically compelling and you can only upload four images.

However a little bit of patience to learn the navigational quirks pays off (I don't know of many people who found eBay easy to use the first half-dozen times either).

Some great deals have appeared there that have not appeared on eBay. Plus you can present the item as an auction AND a Buy-Out (Buy-It-Now) And as a best-offer all at the same time, which Ebay doesn't do. And its cheaper!

I've sold two flutes in the past month on SM and am in the process of possibly trading another. 

If you're having problems selling flutes these days, look at your pricing. Most people are pricing shakuhachi like it was still the Swingin' 2005s! Well, it ain't no more and my guess is that the more people who start becoming more sophisticated in their knowledge of shakuhachi are not going to be willing to continue to buy instruments at the old 'rare instrument' prices.

I did very well moving the odd shakuhachi on the old forum format, then again I was pricing my shakuhachi reasonably, not like a 'rare instrument' dealer.

I agree with Ken, that the focus of the old shakuhachi- buy/sell/trade forum turned the tenor of the Shakuhachi Form into a shakuhachi-hawking bazaar. 

Maybe we need a tutorial for the SM. Unfortunately I do not have the time to do this with the work obligations I already have. I only have time to complain and start fights in my free time.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#8 2009-12-10 21:13:43

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

Though I don't use the new shakuhachi marketplace, I think that it serves a purpose.  Most people know who is selling what on a regular basis and those people are visible enough.  The shakuhachi marketplace, in my opinion, is an excellent place for folks who aren't selling regularly and don't otherwise have access to a visible venue to attempt to sell what they want.  It's true that the interface could use a little tweeking, but kudos to Ken and Brian for making it available.

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#9 2009-12-11 10:23:14

Horst Xenmeister
Shiham
Website

BrianP wrote:

I tried and gave up.

NO REWARDS BEST TO GIVE UP

i am horst

#10 2009-12-11 11:24:10

BrianP
Website

See at least Horst Xenmeister gets it!  smile  I give my time to practice.  I don't need no other stinkin' shakuhachi anyway wink

Last edited by BrianP (2009-12-11 11:24:25)

The Florida Shakuhachi Camp
http://www.floridashakuhachi.com
Brian's Shakuhachi Blog
http://gaijinkomuso.blogspot.com

Board footer