Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-12-06 11:25:27

Peter Kororo
Website

Noh Master Umewaka Rokuro Dec. 11th in Nagoya with shakuhachi and koto

Shakuhachi players in the Nagoya area may find this of interest.

Umewaka Rokuro (Genshou) will perform the Noh play "Shari" with his son Umewaka Kanjiro in Nagoya on December 11th at the Nagoya Nohagakudo. Umewaka sensei is the 56th generation performer in his family, going back to before the origins of present-day Noh took form during the Muromachi period. I have seen two of his performances and they were mesmerizing.

He occasionally incorporates non-traditional music and instruments in his performances, and in this case instead of the usual nohkan flute will be using shakuhachi, backed-up by koto and gagaku instruments. I have been invited to perform the shakuhachi part, which will be completely improvisational. Kawase Roshu (Kawase Junsuke III's daughter) will perform on koto.

a JPEG of the flyer can be found at www.reibo.org/09.html

Tickets are 5-15,000 yen. For the venue location, enter 名古屋能楽堂 into maps.google.co.jp.

I have also recently made the acquaintance of a very fine Kinko-ryu player, a student of Yamaguchi Goro's, name Itoh Inmei, who has asked me to perform for his students the same weekend; confirmation is pending, but I'm sure any shakuhachi players would be welcome at this gathering. Anyone interested can contact me via email for details and confirmation.

Peter

Last edited by Peter Kororo (2009-12-10 03:42:39)

“Many people come, looking, looking. Some people come, see.”
                        —Nepalese saying

#2 2009-12-06 12:10:33

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Re: Noh Master Umewaka Rokuro Dec. 11th in Nagoya with shakuhachi and koto

Hi Peter,

Sounds like an interesting event! FYI, the JPEG link appears to be broken.

#3 2009-12-06 18:58:14

Jam

Ito Sensei is my teacher! I think I met you briefly at that concert in Kyoto Peter?

Last edited by Jam (2009-12-06 19:02:44)

#4 2009-12-14 23:39:01

Peter Kororo
Website

Jam wrote:

Ito Sensei is my teacher! I think I met you briefly at that concert in Kyoto Peter?

Playing in this Noh play was a challenging, difficult, and exhilirating experience which taught me new things about shakuhachi. Given time I'll share some of those impressions.

I was also able to meet Itoh-san and play a mini-concert for a number of his students. He has a wonderful sound, really a lot of Goro-sensei's brilliance in his playing, and was a gracious host. We had a nice time together that evening and for a little while the day after the Noh performance. I look forward to another trip to Nagoya so perhaps I'll see you next time!

“Many people come, looking, looking. Some people come, see.”
                        —Nepalese saying

#5 2009-12-14 23:46:30

Jam

Yeah he's a lovely chap, and a fantastic teacher. I'm glad things went ok with the Noh performance, please let me know next time you're in Nagoya!

Board footer