Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-07-10 01:07:28

evan kubota

Old Japanese 1.8 - hanko identification?

I'm trying to find the maker of this older 1.8 I acquired through eBay.

It has ji and the bore is quite smooth. The utaguchi has been replaced/repaired with water buffalo horn. It's Tozan style... the bore near the utaguchi has also been sanded, as the bare bamboo is visible beneath the urushi. The patina indicates that it's fairly old. These pictures are not really accurate but in person it has a golden brown color. It is clearly a high quality instrument - otsu and kan are balanced and easy to play, although the meris are not as strong as with a Yuu, for example. It has a warm, full tone.

Neither of my parents could definitively read the hanko. Anyone know who this is?

http://plaza.ufl.edu/ekubota/DSC09689.JPG

http://plaza.ufl.edu/ekubota/DSC09690.JPG

#2 2006-07-21 20:42:43

matthew

Re: Old Japanese 1.8 - hanko identification?

I'm wondering if you can read the Japanese here or if you just want history on the maker?  I showed the image to a friend and he says it's realy hard to read due to the style of kanji.  He believes the bottom kanji reads kaze (wind), but has no idea what the top one is.  He is going to take it to a friend who is an expert in calligraphy.  I'll let you know what he finds.

Matt

#3 2006-07-22 07:30:38

Josh
PhD
Website

Hi,
  The two kanji are kotobuki (寿) and kaze (風), wind. Can't tell you about the history of the maker though, sorry.

#4 2006-07-22 23:05:10

koikaze
Website

I had to look this up, just to save some of you the trip.
Kotobuki 寿 【ことぶき】 (n) congratulations!; long life!
Kaze 風 【かぜ】 (n) wind; breeze

-Eli-

#5 2006-07-24 01:19:48

evan kubota

Thanks for the help, everyone. Obviously finding the maker's name can be difficult since many versions are possible. Matt - he had a little bit of trouble figuring out what character it is, but now agrees with Josh that they are 'kotobuki' and 'kaze'. Maybe a possible reading is 'Toshikaze'...

Board footer