Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-07-24 15:05:14

Owloon
Website

I'm trying to think of something other than "Hi".

Oh well, Hi.

I came to shakuhachi through a rather wierd path.  I have a compulsion to modify and make musical instruments and this has included flutes.  After tooting on an Irish low whistle with the fipple cut off for a few years, and reading everything I could find about making shakuhachi, I decided to get one of these rippin' flutes.  I've gotten one of the cheep wooden ones with the intention of modifying it, which I'm buisy doing.  I play experimentally and improvisationally and love it.  Fortunately, my downstairs neighbours have a loud kid so I can get away with playing all the time.  These days he's been singing along with me, through the open windows.  His mother is a saint.

I have a page on flutes from around the world that have gutsyness to them.  I know I could list more shakuhachi pages but it's just a sampling for people who don't know what a shakuhachi is.  If you're interested, it's at: http://treeoflifestudio.ca/FlutesWithGuts.shtml

If you want to look at a few of my rather unconventional flutes that have taught me to play, there's: http://treeoflifestudio.ca/MyFlutes.shtml .  The page doesn't include all the plumbing pipes or the big fat thing I call a shakudidge.

Oh, and I live in Canada.  I'm living in Ottawa but I left half my heart in Toronto.

Thanks for all your interesting posts and websites.  I've been reading them for quite some time.

Kim

Last edited by October Alley (2006-07-24 15:07:11)

"Whether you are [playing] in the bar, the church, the strip joint, or the Himalayas, the first duty of music is to compliment and enhance life."   -- Carlos Santana, via _Zen Guitar_ by Philip Toshio Sudo

#2 2006-07-24 21:52:30

edosan
Edomologist

Re: I'm trying to think of something other than "Hi".

Welcome!

And a fine introduction it was, too!

I had a great visit to your very interesting website. All I really needed to see to convince me was the Fula Flute video, to which I hereby post a direct link:

http://biznasty.com/movies/FulaFlute_1103.mov

It is a MUST-view. Be sure you watch the whole thing.

Think the shakuhachi sounds gnarly? Dig this'n...

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2006-07-25 10:01:57

Owloon
Website

Re: I'm trying to think of something other than "Hi".

Thanks eB.  I've bettered the link on my page to what you have there.  Much appreciated!

Kim.

"Whether you are [playing] in the bar, the church, the strip joint, or the Himalayas, the first duty of music is to compliment and enhance life."   -- Carlos Santana, via _Zen Guitar_ by Philip Toshio Sudo

Board footer