You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#51 2009-12-08 23:49:50

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Okuda Box Set Update

Lorka wrote:

Eeep, suddenly my absence of avatar is replaced by a very scary one.

Geni has started a fad. He wants everybody to use that avatar.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#52 2009-12-08 23:50:07

mrwuwu

Hello, Justin Senryu,    I hate to impose upon your time,  but if you can help us I remember about a year ago you offered CD's  of Arakai Kodo II Sensei's ? music? but needed a sense of pre-orders to make the production of the cd's possible.      The  Okuda set seems to be in the same exact situation, so may I ask what problems and solutions you ran into, and did you ever succeed with enough response from purchasers?   Thank you.

" You know, it's been three years now, maybe a new teacher can help you? ...... " Sensei

#53 2009-12-08 23:54:00

edosan
Edomologist

I think the only way to market it is as a box set (either digital or CD), otherwise why put the man to work to produce the entire thing?

He may just as well produce a single album as the feeling moves him, if people want to buy just one or two albums, willy-nilly. Besides, economies of scale, small though they may be with just 6 or so albums, would make the entire thing a bargain for the buyers, whom we must also
remember is a relatively small group in the great scheme of musical things.

Last edited by edosan (2009-12-09 02:36:52)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#54 2009-12-09 00:05:06

mrwuwu

Hello, Lorka,   I don't understand why you consider the money from people interested in the box sets to be donations rather than a commitment as a solid pre-order.   Without a solid foundation of seed money for production nothing at all will happen.         Differing amounts of donations will cause the weak of heart to not come thru,   and from experience,   collecting money from people who always promise to pay up in full later after the sets are finished ,  usually fail.                           That's why I suggested the set number of $100.00 as a way to encourage commitment and if we have a cost overrun we can figure out the most comfortable amount.    If the poll I suggested has less than 20 people,  Good Luck to you, especially in the proposed 6 to 8 CD set projected.

" You know, it's been three years now, maybe a new teacher can help you? ...... " Sensei

#55 2009-12-09 00:06:54

Lorka

Hey mrwuwu and Ed,

Thanks for the good points.  I mentioned it as donations because that was the original idea.  Then others suggested rather than donations, people give early as a form of pre-order, which makes more sense really.  Mrwuwu, your idea is a good one.  It is not, however, my place to decide what the dollar number would be.  Somewhere in that ballpark sounds about right though.

As for the idea of making parts availble, I think you are right Ed.  Maybe simple is best, and the set should just be kept as a single whole.  Options are good, but too many options lead us into murky territory.

Last edited by Lorka (2009-12-09 00:15:55)

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#56 2009-12-09 01:12:50

Moran from Planet X
Website

Tairaku wrote:

Lorka wrote:

Hey, I think I recognize that guy.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#57 2009-12-09 12:19:35

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Lorka wrote:

It's ok Matt. We've all been putting on a little weight lately! smile

#58 2009-12-09 12:23:46

Lorka

The girlfriend got a little scared when she saw the avatar last night.  Now she thinks it's sexy.  I guess it grew on her.

~ Lao Tzu~

#59 2009-12-09 12:27:45

rpowers

Tairaku wrote:

Lorka wrote:

I remember when Gishin used to terrorize the forum by threatening to post photos of himself in his fundoshi.

Now it's becoming a viral reality.

"Shut up 'n' play . . . " -- Frank Zappa
"Gonna blow some . . ." -- Junior Walker
"It's not the flute." -- Riley Lee

#60 2009-12-14 04:06:11

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Hi there.

A little update on the Okuda box set plan.
I had a nice conversations with Okuda earlier today. He is totally fine with the idea of downloadable score and also about the idea of making a DVD or the like of him explaining some of the pieces (I think it would be quite impossible to do all pieces).
Okuda told me to tell people on the forum that 'in Zensabō, there is only "yes". No "no"!' What he meant was if people were interested in his scores, it is ok for him to give it out. If people are interested in DVD explanations that is fine with him too.
So, there is interest and there is willingness. This is a good point of departure.
Okuda talked about the shakuhachi in the global setting as it is happening now and as he is seeing it. He wished for his music to be looked upon in this global setting. I think he feels more comfortable this way than in the more narrow setting within ryuha and the like - which he has stepped outside of.
The next step is to decide how and where to do the recordings. I will let you know as soon as the recording engineer has been at Okuda's place.
smile

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#61 2009-12-14 04:45:00

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Kiku Day wrote:

Okuda talked about the shakuhachi in the global setting as it is happening now and as he is seeing it. He wished for his music to be looked upon in this global setting. I think he feels more comfortable this way than in the more narrow setting within ryuha and the like - which he has stepped outside of.

It's probably much better to be an international shakuhachi person than a Japanese one or a gaijin trying to be Japanese. wink But was he ever part of the ryuha system to "step outside"?

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#62 2009-12-14 05:01:07

Kiku Day
Website

Tairaku wrote:

It's probably much better to be an international shakuhachi person than a Japanese one or a gaijin trying to be Japanese. wink But was he ever part of the ryuha system to "step outside"?

No, his first step was already 'outside' smile

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#63 2009-12-16 12:09:20

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Kiku Day wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

No, his first step was already 'outside' smile

Hi Kiku
I don't mean to be provocative, but, I wonder how "outside" the ryuha system Okuda is. He left the school from which he studied and now associates himself with no past lineage, so in that respect he may be seen as being outside the existing ryuha. On the other hand, he has created his own school, "Zensabo". The members seem to refer to themselves as being "Zensabo" much as other individuals may refer to themselves as "Kinko-ryu" or "Tozan-ryu" and so on. He charges a membership fee. He publishes his own notation using his own notation system, and he holds "Zensabo" events, as well as having a characteristic type of shakuhachi. Would you not say that this resembles the beginning of a new school, in keeping with the traditional ryuha system?

#64 2009-12-20 11:23:37

Kiku Day
Website

Just a follow-up report:
Listening to the first test recording done at Okuda's studio. It is promising......... smile

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#65 2009-12-20 19:35:12

Lorka

seriously promising.

~ Lao Tzu~

#66 2009-12-20 20:04:31

Matt Lyon

Have you gotten any sort of cost estimate for what it would take to do it at his house if it did work yet or is it still to early to say?

#67 2009-12-20 22:13:11

jamesnyman

It is encouraging to hear that this project is progressing. I hope that some day soon I will be able to contribute my small part to it.

"The means are the ends in the making."  Mohandas K. Ghandi

#68 2009-12-22 02:53:29

Kiku Day
Website

We haven't made a cost estimate yet. We have been listening to the test recordings and now we have to decide the recording methods and then make the estimates. It will be posted as soon as we have some figures! smile

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#69 2010-01-07 13:15:19

Kiku Day
Website

Ok, here is the first try to make an estimate of cost for the Okuda Box-set:

So far I have only got to the cost of recording and mastering the 60 pieces or so....which is a lot!
An excellent sound engineer, Lindsay is willing to do the recording and mastering. He charges ¥4000 and hour. After the test recording before New Year, he suggested to record 5 pieces per session, which he hope to be able to do in 4 hours.

5 pieces per session would (if we really record all 60 honkyoku Okuda knows) give 12 recording sessions à 4 hours = 48 hours
Half of that for edit and export is 24 hours. 48 + 24 = 72 hours.
20% of 72 for extra things that can come up along the way is ca. 15 hours.
That gives all in all: 72 + 15 = 87 hours.
87 x 4000 = ¥348,000, which calculated on google today 7th Jan 2010 gives US$3734.04 or €2621.10.

And then we should be well covered for extras etc....I think...
That is, of course, only for recording and mastering. But in my experience (without being that experienced really) that is the bulk of it. Then we need to find somewhere to have the CD made. The next big piece of work would be the explanations of the score. Perhaps that is something that can come along the way online.... I don't know. A great box set with all the writings would be a marvelous result of the Shakuhachi Forum getting together.... but I am pretty inexperienced here and would not be able to make an estimate of the cost to produce such a big thing at this point.
However, if we get the music recorded... at least we have that and it can be released in which-ever form that we are capable of.

Ideas?

Last edited by Kiku Day (2010-01-07 13:15:49)

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#70 2010-01-07 15:08:16

Matt Lyon

Kiku,

That is good news. I did some more math. Each of the 12 sessions would cost $311 USD.

I would think that it would take some time to have all the sessions recorded so that would mean that things could be funded as we go. If a locked sticky thread were started it could be used to give updates and show how much has been donated and also how much more we need.

Do we have an amount of how much has been donated already?

Matt

#71 2010-01-07 18:30:09

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Matt Lyon wrote:

Okuda box set donations to date: $35

Donate: OKUDA BOX SET FUND

#72 2010-01-07 19:45:33

edosan
Edomologist

Mujitsu wrote:

Matt Lyon wrote:

If 100 members put that in, we'd be in pretty tall clover for the initial production costs.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#73 2010-01-07 20:53:38

Matt Lyon

Mujitsu wrote:

Well I guess now is the time to see if this project will live or die.

Ken, would it be tacky to have the forum send out an email to every registered user explaining what is going on and then ask for a donation?

#74 2010-01-08 08:06:04

jamesnyman

I am glad to see this project underway. I have donated $100 as I promised. That covers me and two members who cannot afford to do so. Lest you think I am rich, that constitutes approximately 7% of my monthly retirement income. I love the Okuda CD I already have and the jinashi sound in general. We have to give back to the things we love if we expect to have them around to enjoy.

"The means are the ends in the making."  Mohandas K. Ghandi

#75 2010-01-08 10:19:45

Bogert

I'll pitch in too.  This sounds like good stuff.  I'll have to get some money in my American account and then I'll donate : )

理趣経百字の偈
菩薩勝慧者 乃至尽生死 恒作衆生利 而不趣涅槃 般若及方便 智度悉加持 諸法及諸有    一切皆清浄 欲等調世間 令得浄除故 
有頂及悪趣 調伏尽諸有 如蓮体本染 不為垢所染    諸欲性亦然 不染利群生 大欲得清浄 大安楽富饒 三界得自在 能作堅固利

Board footer