Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-01-13 14:35:08

John

Hello from Minneapolis

Just checking in. Friend of mine got a Shakuhachi a couple of years ago which peeked my interest.  Then this past December I decided to go ahead and get a student flute from Monty and so far I've taken one lesson from Leo Hanson who teaches locally in the Minneapolis area.   I've never played any wind instruments before so it's a very new experience for me but I'm enjoying the new challenge.  I'm trying to work my daily practice sessions into my meditation work I've already been doing. I spend about half an hour after work practicing before my shamatha session. It helps set me move my mind away from the troubles of the day and is a good preparation for meditation, though it is time consuming so it's a challenge to fit all that in every day, I'm happy that I can see very slow incremental progress each day.

"The more necessary anything appears to my mind, the more certain it is that I only assert a limitation." ~ The Book of Lies, Ch. 45 "Chinese Music"

#2 2010-01-13 18:15:49

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Hello from Minneapolis

Welcome to the forum, John.

Leo Hansen is a good and generous fellow and a very good teacher. You're fortunate to have him smile

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2010-01-13 18:17:11

Yuusui
Website

Re: Hello from Minneapolis

Good to see another local face! Leo is also my teacher. I started taking lessons with him last fall. So far it has been great! I enjoy practicing any moment I can get. I am sure you will enjoy the journey.

http://yuusui.wordpress.com/

"Sit in zazen as if engaged in the fight for your very life!" Dogen

Board footer