Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-01-19 22:06:06

rikkomu
Website

Another hello from Montreal

I have just joined the forum, which I have been reading for a while and have found truly helpful.
I started playing (rather learning) the Shakuhachi last year. It has become a true passion, one of those that one does not ever want to get rid of.

We shall never cease from exploration / And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started / And know the place for the first time.
T. S. Eliot

#2 2010-01-19 22:39:48

Jam

Re: Another hello from Montreal

Welcome to the forum mate. smile

#3 2010-01-19 22:40:14

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Welcome to the forum!

#4 2010-01-20 01:52:27

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Good to see there is more people from Montreal getting active on the forum.

Welcome to the forum to the Shakuhachi and its extended culture. There is at least 5 serious players in the Montreal region. We used to be more a couple of years back but our main teacher passed away then 2 good players went on to other areas for either studies or work.

If you ever come up north to St-Jerome (45 mins by car) drop me an email and I can open up the dojo for you to visit.

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo
St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada
http://www.myspace.com/shunpukandojo

#5 2010-01-20 03:20:21

rikkomu
Website

Thank you Justin, Jam, and Sebastien for you kind welcome.
I will definitely stop by on my next visit to St Jerome, Sebastien. I have heard about you from one of my sensei, Michael Chicuzen Gould and I had the opportunity of following your temple pilgrimage that you posted on the web.. I also have your CD. I have enjoyed both a lot.
Japan is a little far but I intend to return this year. Maybe I will be able to encounter both of you Justine and Jam.

T. S. Eliot

#6 2010-01-20 04:14:29

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

I am glad you enjoyed the CD and my article. You can also see a bunch of other pictures on my webspace profile.

It is also very good to hear that you are taking lessons from Chikuzen. He is definitely one of the best teachers outside of Japan I can also safely say he has a very deep understanding and grasp of how Shakuhachi relates to other aspects of Japanese culture since he lived there for so long and was immersed in the whole culture.

Now I would also love to go back to Japan soon but since I am starting new treatments and with many uncertainties like am I going to work ever again and taking care of my family etc I have to be prepared to maybe never go again. In any case I have my little girl to keep me busy and Shakuhachi on my good days and on the bad days where I feel my Ki is no good for blowing I play the Guqin instead. all I can say from all this is cherish all the stuff you like since you never know when it will be taken away from you. Blow hard blow everyday keep on studying with a teacher immerse yourself in the culture as much as you can don't waste any time don't go astray keep your practice in a straight line.

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo
St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada
http://www.myspace.com/shunpukandojo

#7 2010-01-20 05:35:17

Jam

rikkomu wrote:

Thank you Justin, Jam, and Sebastien for you kind welcome.
I will definitely stop by on my next visit to St Jerome, Sebastien. I have heard about you from one of my sensei, Michael Chicuzen Gould and I had the opportunity of following your temple pilgrimage that you posted on the web.. I also have your CD. I have enjoyed both a lot.
Japan is a little far but I intend to return this year. Maybe I will be able to encounter both of you Justine and Jam.

If you're in/near Nagoya this year (before the summer) send me a message and we can perhaps sort something out. I'm nowhere near as good a player as some on this forum but if you'd like to play together/have a beer I'm sure I'd be able to find the time! smile

#8 2010-01-20 11:20:52

nyokai
shihan
Website

Welcome to the forum!
There is a shakuhachi workshop in Montreal Feb. 6 and 7 that you might be interested in -- check out http://nyokai.com/montrealworkshop.shtml. Still a couple of openings.

#9 2010-01-20 14:41:39

rikkomu
Website

Thank you Gishin for your kind words and advise. My other sensei is Phil Nyokai James, whom I am sure you know too. Michael and Phil have taught me a lot in this short period I have been involved with the Shakuhachi. I have always been very intrigued by the culture, architecture, and landscape of Japan, and of course the people. I am trying to use every minute available to immerse myself in this wonderful world.
I am sorry to hear about your illness. I wish you a speedy recovery. I have no doubt that your daughter and the Shakuhachi will definitely help along the path of recovery and why not of a return to the East.

T. S. Eliot

#10 2010-01-20 22:21:12

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

Welcome! I take it that you're are Rikkomu the 1st? Any explanation of this name?  Is it a new shakuhachi technique? Does it smell good and attract members of the opposite sex?  If so, that's great and your timing to join the shaku forum is perfect. We need a new shaku cologne to market.  "Ode de Ro"; "Scent of Kinko", "U Brandy", etc.

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#11 2010-01-20 23:34:45

Lorka

Hi Rikkomu,

Nice to have more canadian content here.  I work half my time in Montreal, the other half in Ottawa/Gatineau.  If you are ever around McGill (that's where I work), or wish to meet up to talk shakuhachi, just let me know.  I also know another player, Sean, who is a great guy that could give all sorts of useful tips.  He lives full time in Montreal.

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#12 2010-01-20 23:53:57

rikkomu
Website

Thank you for the welcoming, sensei.
Rikkomu...well, no relation with olfactive qualities or liquor although I greatly enjoy sake and wine. It is a made-up pseudonym I use in many pursuits. It began from my nickname rikko to which I added the mu, another dimension of...nothigness, space. Later,  I thought it would be appropriate in the Shakuhachi world. I also realized that contained, by accident and in a postmodern vein, the particle "komuso"...I hope it works and I must add that it has no pretensions whatsoever. As I get more involved with Japanese-just beginning-- I may discover new nuances that could lead me to opt for a simple use of my name. Glad you discovered new comercial possibilities.

T. S. Eliot

#13 2010-01-21 00:00:05

rikkomu
Website

Thank you Lorka. Small world!!! What I coincidence. We seem to be working in the same place: McGill U. I would definitely enjoy meeting you and Sean and share Shakuhachi experiences.

T. S. Eliot

#14 2010-01-21 00:06:40

rikkomu
Website

Lorka,
I forgot to ask you a question: any relation with Federico?

T. S. Eliot

#15 2010-01-21 10:05:22

nyokai
shihan
Website

rikkomu wrote:

Thank you Lorka. Small world!!! What I coincidence. We seem to be working in the same place: McGill U. I would definitely enjoy meeting you and Sean and share Shakuhachi experiences.

You will meet Sean at the workshop, Ricardo.

#16 2010-01-21 14:43:43

Lorka

apparently you will meet me too... I was able to fiddle my schedule around so that I can make the weekend of the workshop.

~ Lao Tzu~

#17 2010-01-21 17:53:34

rikkomu
Website

that is super, lorka.
cheers

T. S. Eliot

#18 2010-01-21 18:33:22

Lorka

Yup, looking forward to seeing you and the others.

Nope, no relation to Federico.   

Small world indeed.  I'm not a prof at McGill though (well, not right now at least).  I work as a historical reseracher / editor for a history project at McGill relating to the Montreal Neuroligical Institute.  Quite a bit of the work involves architectural research, which I believe is you area.  I will quit rambling though, as it will bore the others reading this.  Back to shakuhachi.

~ Lao Tzu~

#19 2010-01-22 00:06:36

rikkomu
Website

This will be my first Shakuhachi meeting. I am really looking forward to it. However, I think of shakuhachi as a very personal endeavor. But I am open to the group experience and to meet others.
I take it you are also a student of Niokai's.

Yes, you are right my field is architecture and we also share another interest: history.
Cheers
r

T. S. Eliot

Board footer