World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-01-26 17:55:39

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

Montreal Workshop and Benefit Concert for Phil James

I would like to announce that there is the possibility of going on with the Montreal workshop and adding a concert.

All of us who are frinds with Phil are quite shocked by this sudden happening. I just talked to Lara on the phone. Phil is still in ICU and stable for now. They are hoping to move him out of ICU tomorrow. This would really lift her spirits. She is quite devastated. I would urge people not to call her now because it's very hard for her to talk about Phil's condition. She needs some time and space with him. Lara says she will eventually get a blog going to give update reports for us.

Phil had a workshop planned in Montreal. I talked with Lara and offered to do the workshop and a concert that sat. evening as a benefit for them. She thought that would be great and said Phil would be very happy for the support. I have already secured help with lodging and have booked a flight The workshop will be built upon Phil's outline with just some of the songs changing. We'll do Kyorei, Goreika (pilgrim's chant song), Honshirabe, & Nezasa Shirabe. I am also open to any requests. We'll also practice chanting for breath work. As I mentioned, this will totally be a benefit for Phil and Lara. If you have signed up and would like to continue to support Phil by attending, or if you haven't signed up but now feel you can, please let myself or Sean Riley know. I have no idea who has signed up for this but if you could contact one of us, it would be very helpful. In fact, this will only be possible by everyone helping out. Please contact me even if you cannot go and help out by offering information. We have 10 days to go but I would like to get on top of things asap since we're going to use a space for a concert, etc.

Anyone interested in joining this concert please call me. I'm sure we'll have a group song or two by the participants of the workshop.

Thanks for your help in this situation.

Last edited by chikuzen (2010-01-26 18:27:02)

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#2 2010-01-27 12:38:19

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

Re: Montreal Workshop and Benefit Concert for Phil James

Excuse this update as being redundant as I'm putting it in all three columns that are related in this Events and Announcements section to make sure the people who need to see it do. After considering the timeline and other factors I think it's best that we POSTPONE the workshop and concert for now and do this as soon as possible in the near future. There doesn't seem to me to be enough time to get this together in any fashion that will truly benefit Phil. If there is to be a fundraising concert it will need to be advertised well to get an audience. Right now, I imagine we wouldn't get more than 15~20 people. I'd rather get 100 or more. Which means putting more thought into into and then some leg work. As far as the future workshop goes, if you join that's great. Nobody needs to feel they have to come to the workshop I offer. I WILL do the workshop though and look forward to seeing some of you then. I personally am not sure I could play well in front of people right now as it makes me quite sad to realize the situation of Phil, Lara & the baby. It would be nice to have Phil on the road to recovery and all of us feel real good about meeting to play shakuhachi together and do a concert. Maybe that's just me.

So for now, the workshop is POSTPONED. I'll be working towards the next date and could use anyone's help that was registered. Thanks again.

And thanks to Ronnie Nyogetsu Seldon for generously offering to teach Phil's students. That's a great solution to their dilemma. I would offer my time and energy too but I can't help here since I don't play and teach the same style.

Last edited by chikuzen (2010-01-27 17:24:40)

Michael Chikuzen Gould

Board footer