Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-02-01 18:52:20

ABRAXAS

Open Source Sheet Music?

I'm interested in finding websites hosting free sheet music, public domain, transcriptions etc. in western notation, of as wide a variety (and as arcane) of music as possible.

I was kind of disappointed to find so little in the way of scores, collections etc. in full version (downloadable in pdf) on google books.

Now that I am getting back into looking at western music (notation, theory, etc) it IS coming back to me, more than I expected. This is great fun and unexpected.

Last edited by ABRAXAS (2010-02-01 18:52:41)

"Shakuhachi music stirs up both gods and demons." -- Ikkyu.

#2 2010-02-02 00:41:54

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Open Source Sheet Music?

ABRAXAS wrote:

I'm interested in finding websites hosting free sheet music, public domain, transcriptions etc. in western notation, of as wide a variety (and as arcane) of music as possible.

I was kind of disappointed to find so little in the way of scores, collections etc. in full version (downloadable in pdf) on google books.

Now that I am getting back into looking at western music (notation, theory, etc) it IS coming back to me, more than I expected. This is great fun and unexpected.

Erm.....just curious: did you happen to Google 'open source sheet music'?

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2010-02-02 02:00:45

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

edosan wrote:

Killjoy! sad

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#4 2010-02-02 04:32:34

dust

imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete.

#5 2010-02-02 09:48:58

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

Join a music school library. They are options for it. I discovered SO much gems in library.

#6 2010-02-02 11:56:50

ABRAXAS

edosan wrote:

ABRAXAS wrote:

I had my pointed fez on. sad

I don't remember what I was googling but all I was pulling up were sleazy pay sites with lots of popup ads.

Thanks!

...In the meantime if anyone has found or bookmarked non-obvious goldmines feel free to share!

Last edited by ABRAXAS (2010-02-02 12:11:46)

#7 2010-02-02 12:08:53

ABRAXAS

#8 2010-02-03 14:56:36

madoherty

8 Notes.com (www.8notes.com):  Free classical and traditional sheet music, popular and jazz riffs, and lessons (including music theory).  This site also provides an online metronome with a beat selector and customizable blank staff paper.  This site contains ads.

Blank Sheet Music.net (www.blanksheetmusic.net): This site enables you to print format and print manuscript paper.  Either choose from a pre-existing template, or build your own.

ChoralWiki, Choral Public Domain Library (www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page):  This extensive website containing scores of choral music in .pdf format from the 13th century to present-day, and also contains biographical information on composers.

IMSLP / Petrucci Music Library (imslp.org/wiki/Main_Page):  A free public domain sheet music library that contains information on more than 17,517 works and contains more than37,000 scores.

Juilliard Manuscript Collection (www.juilliardmanuscriptcollection.org/home.html):  Special digitized collection of historically (and musically) significant scores.

Project Gutenburg (www.gutenberg.org/browse/categories/4):  Project Gutenburg is an effort to digitize non-copyrighted material, or material whose copy right has lapsed.  Part of this project has been the digitization of scores.  They scores are available in a variety of formats.

Research Links- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (http://go2.wordpress.com/?id=725X1342&a … earch.html):  Provides links to credible websites in various topics of music research: General music sites, citing music sources, copyright, country and folk music sites, digital music libraries, jazz and blues sites, music theory sites, pop and rock music sites, rap and hip hop music sites, and world music sites.

#9 2010-02-03 15:01:59

ABRAXAS

Nice!!! Thank you!

I must have been lacking caffeine or something yesterday, today I'm finding a ton of stuff on google books.

#10 2010-02-04 19:06:35

MikeL

I often get tripped up in web searches by starting with too many words. You'd think that more
is better for a search engine, but not so sometimes, or maybe very often not so for all I know.

Not too long ago I was frustrated in a search, the info just HAD to be out there. I finally asked for
help and the link with the answer was found with two words in google, not the half dozen or so
that I had been trying, with and without quotes, etc...

But even after you've found some resources it might be useful to share what you DID
find, and see what else others found that you missed.

It is a skill that can be developed for sure I think.

- Mike

#11 2010-02-04 22:24:50

Austin Shadduck
Website

http://imslp.org

This is one of my favorites.

“His first, last and only formal instruction for me was embodied in one word: observe.” -Billy Strayhorn on Duke Ellington

Board footer