Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-07-26 03:56:43

John Roff

Shakuhachi and a school choir

On Thursday and Friday this week I'll be playing a 2.1 as an introduction and end to a Hilton College choir piece called 'Dans van die reen'. That means 'Dance of the rain' in Afrikaans. The flute is being used to draw the audience into a feeling of being in a dry landscape waiting for a storm on the horizon, then at the end to finish more lightly after the storm has passed.

This is part of a school concert for the public, called Hiltissimo.

Just letting you all know there's shakuhachi life developing in South Africa. I'll post some more on a couple of workshops I'll be running at an arts festival in September.

Cheers

John

'Concepts create idols; only wonder grasps anything.' - Gregory of Nyssa

#2 2006-08-05 19:05:05

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Shakuhachi and a school choir

Hey John,

How did this event go?

BR

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2006-08-08 02:27:57

John Roff

Hi Brian

This was a great delight, in fact. The audience loved the flute, and were quite captivated by the sound. I improvised in B minor for the long dry waiting for the rain notes, and upped the tempo in D major for the happier after the rain ending. One schoolboy's comment summed it up - "That was crazy". In schoolboy parlance, this is a significant compliment. Other folk found it very peaceful and earthy - it's a hit. Someone thought it sounded like whale songs - now there's a compliment.

Building on the interest, I'll be doing a short demo of making and playing tomorrow. One of the staff here is keen, and has made his own flute already. We've also found an acoustically spectacular art gallery space in the theatre here, and may record there soon. We also plan to do a an art show with Shakuhachi interpretations of the artworks in this space. I'll keep you posted.

Many thanks to you, as well as to Perry, Ken and Monty for giving me the confidence and input to get going on this road - I'm loving it, and many others are starting to as well.

Cheers

John

Last edited by John Roff (2006-08-09 03:57:34)

'Concepts create idols; only wonder grasps anything.' - Gregory of Nyssa

#4 2006-08-08 09:37:47

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

That's great! Nice to see someone carrying the shakuhachi torch in Africa.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

Board footer