Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-02-09 06:55:57

radi0gnome
Website

Perry Yung

OK, this Universal Flute thing was a great idea, but I think the problem is that lot of important people are right here on the forum. I think they all deserve some appreciation here. The individual I'm nominating is Perry Yung. Embracing modern marketing techniques early on, Perry may have introduced more Westerners to shakuhachi by getting an instrument in their hands than anyone else. Perry Yung has received government cultural grants enabling him to do extensive research about his craft. One of the parts of his work that I find to be most intriguing is his view of the abundance of antique and vintage "horribly playing" shakuhachi that from evidence of wear have apparently been well loved. Perry has the advanced sensibility to try to figure out what those players were loving rather than dismissing the cultural changes that may have influenced what those players were hearing.

Oh, yeah... he knows how to be really cool too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8JodYoFz-s

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#2 2010-02-09 11:47:19

Vevolis
Website

Re: Perry Yung

Also, Perry Yung personifies the saying “patience is a virtue”. I'm pretty sure he’s had to buy a dental night guard due to stripping the enamel off his teeth by grating them in having to deal with me. smile

#3 2010-02-09 12:13:25

jdanza
Website

Perry rocks!. I treasure the flutes that he's made for me. You can't beat a combination of great craftsman, great human being and great player!.

#4 2010-02-09 16:59:59

waryr

Perry certaintly does have the gift of unscrewing the inscrutable! Perry, you ROCK!

If you understand, things are just as they are, if you don't understand, things are just as they are.

#5 2010-02-10 08:43:45

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

radi0gnome wrote:

OK, this Universal Flute thing was a great idea, but I think the problem is that lot of important people are right here on the forum. I think they all deserve some appreciation here. The individual I'm nominating is Perry Yung. Embracing modern marketing techniques early on, Perry may have introduced more Westerners to shakuhachi by getting an instrument in their hands than anyone else. Perry Yung has received government cultural grants enabling him to do extensive research about his craft. One of the parts of his work that I find to be most intriguing is his view of the abundance of antique and vintage "horribly playing" shakuhachi that from evidence of wear have apparently been well loved. Perry has the advanced sensibility to try to figure out what those players were loving rather than dismissing the cultural changes that may have influenced what those players were hearing.

Oh, yeah... he knows how to be really cool too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8JodYoFz-s

Hi Chris, Thanks for nominating me into the Universal Flute Hall of Fame. I didn't know any one was taking notes! smile

This means a lot to me. But, I should acknowledge that I could not be doing what I'm doing without the generous support of all the shakuhachi people I've encountered. As you mentioned, many here on the Forum should be inducted. I've been wanting to write about some universal players who have greatly influenced my shakuhachi work but time is quite elusive these days.

A pivotal point in my making career took place when I attended a Honkyoku workshop with Ronnie. It was there that Brian tried a 2.4 I made from a piece of root end bamboo I obtained from Ken. This must have been around 1999 Brian said, "Not bad, want to come over to my place to see some old shakuhachi?" A few days later, I was treated to the most luscious collection of fine shakuhachi I had ever seen. I think these mostly came from John Singer. Needless to say, I developed a thirst for old and interesting flutes. A couple of years later I received the Japan-US Friendship Grant to study in Japan. Ralph introduced me to Kinya and there was no turning back.

Below is a short list of teachers and friends who've had a direct impact on showing me how to spread the shakuhachi with respect and passion. Each should be an inductee here.

George Abe, Christopher Yohmei Blasdel, Kiku Day, Tom Deaver, David Duncavage, Michael Chikuzen Gould, Genji Ito, Phil Nyokai James, Yodo Kurahashi, Ken Lacosse, Riley Lee, Monty Levenson, Eigoro Murai, Kifu Mitsuhashi, Tatekawa Motifumi, Akikazu Nakamura, Neiro Shakuhachi Ya, John Kaizan Neptune, Ned Rothenburg, Alcvin Ryuzen Ramos, Brian Tairaku Ritchie, Ralph Samuelson, Saori San (Mejiro), Ronnie Nyogetsu Reishin Seldin, James Nyoraku Schlefer,  Kinya and Laurie Sogawa, Glen Swan, Yukio Tsuji, Ellen Stewart, Keisuke Zenyoji and all my students.

Vevolis wrote:

Also, Perry Yung personifies the saying “patience is a virtue”. I'm pretty sure he’s had to buy a dental night guard due to stripping the enamel off his teeth by grating them in having to deal with me.

I don't know what yer talking about. wink

Jdanza wrote:

Perry rocks!. I treasure the flutes that he's made for me. You can't beat a combination of great craftsman, great human being and great player!.

Thanks Pepe! I'm, presently working on being a great father!

Waryr wrote:

Perry certainly does have the gift of unscrewing the inscrutable! Perry, you ROCK!

If you stay with us for any amount of time, you will invariably hear me yell, "Honey, have you seen the wine opener? smile

And to all the members of Shakuhachi Forum, thank you for your company. Your sharing is a great well of inspiration.

With palms joined and a deep bow, Perry

Last edited by Yungflutes (2010-03-21 08:06:46)

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#6 2010-02-18 09:22:27

daion

The individual I'm nominating is Perry Yung.  (Also)This i must agree with.  Shakuhachi playing has been a part of my live Oh ? about 1974. i have seen a lot of changes in the interest in the shakuhachi.  My working with Perry Yung has been most to my liking, he is a true artist and human-being a true gift to the shakuhachi of America.  i has been great to see the all types of people getting into the shakuhachi, i remember only those who studied Asian music could get on board, but now with makers like Perry Yung  around more and more will have the opportunity to get to the shakuhachi.

#7 2010-02-19 08:25:58

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

daion wrote:

The individual I'm nominating is Perry Yung.  (Also)This i must agree with.  Shakuhachi playing has been a part of my live Oh ? about 1974. i have seen a lot of changes in the interest in the shakuhachi.  My working with Perry Yung has been most to my liking, he is a true artist and human-being a true gift to the shakuhachi of America.  i has been great to see the all types of people getting into the shakuhachi, i remember only those who studied Asian music could get on board, but now with makers like Perry Yung  around more and more will have the opportunity to get to the shakuhachi.

A deep bow to you my friend - Perry

#8 2010-03-20 13:39:04

Ryuzen
Dokyoku (Daishihan); Zensabo
Website

Perry, you're truly awesome. So impressed with your work, brother! Keep it flowing!

I live a shakuhachi life.

#9 2010-03-21 08:04:45

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Thanks Al! It seems like yesterday when I met you in Tokyo. You and my friends here are my inspiration.

A deep bow to you my brother.

Board footer