Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

• Index
  •  » Practice
  •  » what pitch should ru be on a 1.8 shakuhachi?

#26 2010-02-18 20:56:17

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Re: what pitch should ru be on a 1.8 shakuhachi?

Tairaku wrote:

caffeind wrote:

1 shaded, 3 open. Shading 3 makes things fiddlier than they need to be.

Yes, although a few people have showed me the other way. Most honkyoku lineage have some version of the "chi ru tsu ru" riff (although not always stated in that way) but the note you're referring to as being shaded by one is not always and then produces a slightly sharper pitch. It's a matter of flavor.

Not to open a new can of worms but then there's the "ru" in sankyoku music which just means "repeat by hitting one" regardless of the previous note. So if the note is chi, chi meri, re, whatever, you hit one. Naturally this creates a lot of different pitches, so it's more of an indication than a "note" per se.

Hi Brian
The ru meaning hit the 1st hole is specifically the ru of Kinko notation, whether sankyoku or honkyoku both. The ru being referred to from Yokoama's notation as the pitch of re is in Kinko-ryu notation kan-no-u (u in the upper octave). In Kinko-ryu this occurs in honkyoku and sankyoku and should be the pitch of re. In Kimpu-ryu this is also kan-no-u and also played at the pitch of re when played correctly. Due to difficulty one may hear it played sharp from time to time.

#27 2010-02-18 21:25:59

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

caffeind wrote:

I cant account for the other way but leaving 3 open is simple and leaves you with full use of that finger. One of Yokoyama's students said Yokoyama liked to make a joke about the chi-ru-tsumeri pattern. People would get confused, and he would just say something like 'Look, all you need to do is move your fingers'. If you can find the right balance between meri and shading, you can play chi meri, ru and tsu meri with very little adjustment in meri, and minimise movement of your fingers.

Totally agree.......then you can slap 3 around willy nilly.

Are you in Sydney now? I'm doing some gigs here, I can set you up with tix.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#28 2010-02-18 21:28:37

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Justin wrote:

Hi Brian
The ru meaning hit the 1st hole is specifically the ru of Kinko notation, whether sankyoku or honkyoku both. The ru being referred to from Yokoama's notation as the pitch of re is in Kinko-ryu notation kan-no-u (u in the upper octave). In Kinko-ryu this occurs in honkyoku and sankyoku and should be the pitch of re. In Kimpu-ryu this is also kan-no-u and also played at the pitch of re when played correctly. Due to difficulty one may hear it played sharp from time to time.

Sure, also depends upon the type of flute used and particularly the size of the mouthpiece. It's easy (well......if you can play) to get that pitch without shading. I think some of the excessive shading comes from using thin jiari shakuhachi. With jinashi it's not always necessary.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#29 2010-02-18 21:37:35

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

With Yokoyama's school the patterns around this note are more complex than other schools so the shading is not for ru specifically but actually to bring the whole pattern into balance. That is the particular difficulty specific to this note in Yokoyama's school, which in turn requires rather special instruments for most players to be able to play it. In Kimpu-ryu or Kinko-ryu this complex pattern does not exist so, as you say, can be played in a slightly different way, even without shading holes. However it is still difficult and even on a suitable jinashi, though easier than for example a Tozan jinuri, can be a strong challenge for many players, with a resulting higher pitch. This is where a strict teacher comes in handy!

#30 2010-02-25 21:12:47

ssakamoto
Website

I've been taught that Ru is just slapping the bottom hole one time. For example, in rokudan there's a bit that goes tsu tsu ru ru and the last two are just holding the tsu and tapping the "ro" twice, instead of tapping the "tsu" hole to repeat the note.

"One thing the bamboo tells you from the start is that it's going to take years and years and years. Better get to work." -- Mujitsu

#31 2010-02-26 06:39:25

purehappiness

WOW. So many different ways to play this note. I guess I started a good topic. There is so much I still need to learn. I can see this just by the different responses posted.

I feel I am just cutting thru the topping of the cake with my experience level.

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#32 2010-02-26 10:05:05

caffeind

Tairaku wrote:

caffeind wrote:

I cant account for the other way but leaving 3 open is simple and leaves you with full use of that finger. One of Yokoyama's students said Yokoyama liked to make a joke about the chi-ru-tsumeri pattern. People would get confused, and he would just say something like 'Look, all you need to do is move your fingers'. If you can find the right balance between meri and shading, you can play chi meri, ru and tsu meri with very little adjustment in meri, and minimise movement of your fingers.

Totally agree.......then you can slap 3 around willy nilly.

Are you in Sydney now? I'm doing some gigs here, I can set you up with tix.

In Tokyo right now, will drop you an email.

• Index
  •  » Practice
  •  » what pitch should ru be on a 1.8 shakuhachi?

Board footer