Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-02-18 14:17:13

Ambi

MagLight

Probably pretty obvious, but hadn't occurred to me before.
A Maglight (or similar little pencil torch) slides down the bore nicely, allowing a really good view from the ends and through the holes.
Now I just have to scrape off that mysterious grot from the inside of the bottom half ...

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."

#2 2010-02-18 20:13:57

Karmajampa
Website

Re: MagLight

Are you certain that mysterious crud isn't supposed to be there ?

K.

Kia Kaha !

#3 2010-02-19 03:04:09

Ambi

Hi K. - I'm not sure what the grot is - but when I got this tube (from ebay) it was filthy - really really filthy - washed out with warm soapy water bad.
Yesterday I Was looking into one of the holes and thought that the urushi was lifting off (Panic!) - this lead to the putting a torch down it which let me see that it was "polished on" grot. Definitely on top of the urushi though which is the main thing.
I've not had such a good view inside before though, and thought I'd share.
Cheers

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."

#4 2010-02-19 11:10:59

edosan
Edomologist

Ambi wrote:

Yesterday I Was looking into one of the holes and thought that the urushi was lifting off (Panic!) - this lead to the putting a torch down it which let me see that it was "polished on" grot. Definitely on top of the urushi though which is the main thing.

Being closest to your fingertips, and all their attendant goodness, such as food bits and flaking dead skin (!!), the tone holes often collect the most grot. Q-Tips and plain water or rubbing alcohol will put you right.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#5 2010-02-19 12:41:47

lowonthetotem
Website

I hope nobody shines one of those UV lights from NCIS on my shakuhachi!

"Turn like a wheel inside a wheel."

Board footer