Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2005-10-10 21:28:07

Omsong

"Meditative Flute"

I recently picked up a enjoyable CD titled "Meditative Flute".  It is not traditional honkyoku, so be forwarned.  This recording is a mixed selection of Japanese folktunes and well known western semi-classical pieces.   Duet shakuhachi are played by Kitu Mitsuhashi and Toshiko Yonekawa.   The musicianship is first rate, IMO.  Some strong western arrangements tend to dilute the effort, but, all in all, I find it a very pleasing mix.

Honkyoku can be difficult for new listeners.    Therefore, I think that this CD would make an excellent introduction to shakuhachi for those unfamiliar with this instrument and the wonderfully expressive  tones that it can produce.

Cheers,

Omsong

"The universe melts into the soundless voice.  The sound melts into the
    all-shining light. And the light enters the bosom of infinite joy."   P. Yogananda

#2 2005-10-25 05:03:34

Andre

Re: "Meditative Flute"

Omsong wrote:

Honkyoku can be difficult for new listeners.    Therefore, I think that this CD would make an excellent introduction to shakuhachi for those unfamiliar with this instrument and the wonderfully expressive  tones that it can produce.

Cheers,

Omsong,

I completely agree with you. In my particular case, pieces like Sledge Hamme by Peter Gabriel brought the sound - although it is a sampled one- of shakuhachi to me. Honshirabe for instance is rarely played on the radio. Most people I know never heard about a shakuhachi. In order to indrease the community, a few pop/rock songs with a small easy to listen shakuhachi solo would be very beneficial. I remember in 1992, there was a band from Australia named Yothu Yindy. They made pop music underlayed with Didgeridoo. Exactly this kind of music, which makes the Didge-purist angry since it is not traditional or what ever, caused a large boom. And now you can hear Didges everywhere in the streets.
Tairaku, what about another hit in the charts with your band with a small shakuhachi solo to bring up some more shakuhachi crazy to this planet?

Regards

Andre

#3 2005-12-05 10:35:16

MikeyD

Hello folks,  I am new to the shakuhachi, and was wondering if you can make suggestions of any CD's that have the shakuhachi playing other than traditional music.  Something more with a New Age or meditative feel.  Thanks,  MikeyD

#4 2005-12-05 14:21:38

edosan
Edomologist

Dear MikeyD,

Some 'non-traditional' shakuhachi recording suggestions:

Riley Lee: Floating World (Satie, Faure, etc; shakuhachi with harp), Nalu, Sanctuary, Oriental Sunrise, Bamboo Soup, Haiku, Maui Morning, Bamboo Slack Key (the last three are Hawaiian duets-shakuhachi/guitar). Most of these (and more offerings from Riley) are often available at Barnes & Noble (don't know your location...) bookstores. Labels to look for are Narada, Enso, Hula, New World & One World.

Also from Riley Lee: Water Music (solo improvisations recorded in a large covered water reservoir in Sydney, Aus); on Tall Poppies (may not be available...GREAT album). Also: shakuhachi-Karak Live (shakuhachi/percussion--new album).

Many albums by John Kaizan Neptune: Bamboo Textures, Take Dake, Dance for the One In Six, Prime Numbers, Kite, Jazzen, The Circle, West of Somewhere, Mixed Bag, Bamboo, Joy, Two in Flight, Tokyosphere, Sky Spirit & and Words Can't Go There (some honkyoku one this last one, but many original pieces, too). John has also recorded two albums of Jazz standards (one is Jazzen) recorded mostly with a 2.4 flute.

There is also a record label: Pacific Moon Records--'New Age Pop' (don't cringe, you purists...). Several albums feature shakuhachi played over elaborate digital backgrounds--the shakuhachi playing is very good. These are: East Wind/Uttara-Kuru, Prayer/Uttara-Kuru, Mirage of the East/Sorma, Dream/Naoyuki Onda and Wings in the Dawn/Naoyuki Onda. Considering the genre, the material is well done and tasteful.

Those ought to get you started...

eB

Last edited by edosan (2005-12-05 14:23:39)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#5 2005-12-05 15:20:05

kyoreiflutes
Website

Andre...I know EXACTLY what you mean: I remember being in my Local Big Music Store around the time of that album, and the guy had some samples on the Ensoniq Sampler from different songs; one of them was the Shakuhachi riffs from Big Time. He also had "Bongo Bongo" by Steve Miller, a multi-scetion loop (which I later had) of "Owner of a Lonely Heart), and a bunch of other stuff from other songs. That was a fun day, being able to play with these sounds I knew so well.

Funny that I'd be a Shakuhachi player, all these years later.

-E

Last edited by kyoreiflutes (2005-12-05 15:21:50)

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#6 2005-12-06 07:11:39

Thorsten
Website

Hi MickeyD,

Some other non-traditional recordings you might want to try:

BLENDS
Richard Teitelbaum/Katsuya Yokoyama 
(synthesizer meets shakuhachi)

SILVER WORLD
Hozan Yamamoto (shakuhachi) Gary Peacock (Bass) Masabumi Kikuchi (Piano) Hiroshi Murakami (Drums)
(recorded 1970 but sounds amazingly fresh - maybe file under world music with a jazzy edge)

Akikazu Nakamura's Kokoo -  ZOOM, SUPER-NOVA
(Shakuhachi & Kotos interpreting Hendrix, Led Zep, Zappa, etc.

All or some of them may be available at shakuhachi.com (Monty Levenson).

Th.

Board footer