World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#26 2010-03-25 13:22:56

radi0gnome
Website

Re: required listening list?

Tairaku wrote:

It's pretty safe to say that nobody plays the way they played 2 or 3 hundred years ago. So we are all "inauthentic". wink or we're authentic modern players.

Still there's a probably enough recorded material to give some kind of indication how modern players differ from approx 100 years ago. An eye opening experience I had some years back was when Ardal Powell put together a compilation of early 1900's silver and classical wood flute recordings. Apparently people played a lot differently then. There were many recordings that displayed incredible technique that would make Galway proud, however most of these players never made much of a mark, if any, in flute history. What happened is that recording technology changed what became "good". Then, a few good tunes worked up to a virtuosic display would get you pretty far. In this modern era of recording technology, to get any recognition an artist has to record every masterwork written for flute better than anyone else attempting to record every master work written. Take a look at what at the repertoire a high school age flute student has "learned". The standard is several pieces each from the baroque, classical, romantic, and contemporary era. Including some very difficult pieces that are deserving of many years of study. Contrast that to a time when it was difficult to find new material and the emphasis was to play your limited repertoire as virtuosically as possible, often taking a short piece and repeating it with more and more each time through with (seemingly) improvised ornamentations and variations. That's kind of similar to what I hear on recordings of many modern shakuhachi folk songs, but my point is  I wouldn't be surprised if recording technology had a similar effect in Japan on shakuhachi players. And,... to never underestimate your musical fore-fathers, because no matter what era they were from they could probably crank out a mean tune.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#27 2010-03-25 22:24:48

Moran from Planet X
Website

Tairaku wrote:

I also like the recordings of Sakaguchi Tesshin, he rocks.

Are his recordings available for mere mortals?

CDs? In print? 'Have the ability to order in English?

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#28 2010-03-25 22:50:53

Moran from Planet X
Website

Kiku Day wrote:

We all know that the authenticity debate is a ticking bomb of a discussion.... smile
Anyway, I agree and I really don't understand the use of bathroom-like echo on recordings. Either you hear more sound  bouncing back from the walls than the sound coming from the flute... or you just hear reverb added... horrible! Just a personal opinion.

I have now listened to quite some recordings on SP and also recordings done on wax cylinders. Unfortunately, when these early recordings were done it was more trendy to play sankyoku so there is unfortunately not an abundance of honkyoku recordings.

Right. I'm not making an argument for any one person or group being "authentic." I'm making a case to seriously question any one person or group claiming "authenticity."  Marketing oneself with the window-dressing and affect of being The Real One & Only True Blue Fuke.

Tradition is another animal.

I'd love to hear any old Japanese music on wax! What a treat!

Last edited by Chris Moran (2010-03-26 02:08:45)

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#29 2010-03-26 00:01:00

edosan
Edomologist

Chris Moran wrote:

Right. I'm not making an argument for any one person or group being "authentic." I'm making a case to seriously question any one person or group claiming "authenticy."  Marketing oneself with the window-dressing and affect of being The Real One & Only True Blue Fuke.

Who cares? Let 'em claim what they want. You gonna send leg-breakers over to 'em to make 'em 'fess up.

The 'one true blue whatever' disappeared ages ago, never to return.

We're all just trying to get along; some of us cheat—so what? You know who you are...

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#30 2010-03-26 00:04:03

Moran from Planet X
Website

edosan wrote:

Who cares?

I do.

I wanna fight.

#31 2010-03-26 04:02:07

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Chris Moran wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

I got it at the '98 Boulder festival from Mejiro. I don't know if it's still in print. Very nice music, raw and pretty intense.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#32 2010-03-26 16:49:11

Moran from Planet X
Website

Tairaku wrote:

Chris Moran wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

I got it at the '98 Boulder festival from Mejiro. I don't know if it's still in print. Very nice music, raw and pretty intense.

Yeah, that's the kind of stuff that falls off the radar. I'm sure its out of print now.

I'm still looking for recordings of Sudo Shuho sensei of the Nezasa Ha.

#33 2010-03-26 19:54:25

Moran from Planet X
Website

Here is another Meian CD in print which Mejiro has:

Ichion Jobutsu by Matsumoto Kyozan

1.Saji 2.Kyushu Reibo 3.Hachigaeshi no Kyoku 4.Kyorei 5.Futaiken Reibo 6.Jimbo Sanya 7.Hifumi Hachigaeshi 8.Tsukushi Reibo 9.Kyo Joshi 10.Koku 11.Yamato Choshi 12.Ajikan

#34 2010-03-26 20:16:20

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Chris Moran wrote:

Here is another Meian CD in print which Mejiro has:

Ichion Jobutsu by Matsumoto Kyozan

1.Saji 2.Kyushu Reibo 3.Hachigaeshi no Kyoku 4.Kyorei 5.Futaiken Reibo 6.Jimbo Sanya 7.Hifumi Hachigaeshi 8.Tsukushi Reibo 9.Kyo Joshi 10.Koku 11.Yamato Choshi 12.Ajikan

I've got it, it's good.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

Board footer