Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-03-18 20:52:51

axolotl
Website

What would you do if you lost your favorite flute?

A mutual friend of my wife's and me recently broke his violin--he's a professional Arabic violinist.  Naturally, he's heartbroken.  I was chatting with her about this and wondered whether he had insurance or not.

Her response was, "regardless, the violin is irreplaceable.  He'll never have that instrument back again."  The implication here was that no instrument would be as peerless.  I disagreed and felt that instruments are replaceable, in a way; not interchangeable, not equivalent even, as each one has its own characteristics, but that it's possible to find 'new love' again with a new instrument, even if you are a die-hard instrumentalist who has grown to know your instrument for years or decades.

What's your opinion?  I am admittedly not an instrumentalist.  My most expensive instrument is a Taylor 310CE, which is a great instrument and the best of the batch I tried out at the time, and it did beat out more expensive Martins, for my taste,  No doubt a 10,000 dollar custom made guitar would feel even better, and perhaps then I would feel the pain that our violinist felt (also a pang in the wallet), but as I am not just an axe- or flute-slinger, I see things differently.  Perhaps it's due to the fact that I can't yet afford a flawless instrument in any area, nor have I mastered any to the degree that a pro has...

...anyhow, what are your thoughts on the matter?  Many of you no doubt have The One Flute For You, and it may not necessarily be the most expensive one of your set, either.  What would you do if you broke that sucker irrevocably or lost it?

#2 2010-03-18 21:09:53

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Re: What would you do if you lost your favorite flute?

axolotl wrote:

...Many of you no doubt have The One Flute For You, and it may not necessarily be the most expensive one of your set, either.  What would you do if you broke that sucker irrevocably or lost it?

Hi axolotl,
My main shakuhachi is the one I made with Kinya in 2003. If it left me, I'd make a new (and improved) one smile

Last edited by Yungflutes (2010-03-18 21:12:19)

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#3 2010-03-18 23:13:46

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Yungflutes wrote:

Hi axolotl,
My main shakuhachi is the one I made with Kinya in 2003. If it left me, I'd make a new (and improved) one smile

Bravo! Funny how that is just the nature of things!

#4 2010-03-18 23:17:30

geminishadow79

I only have one flute, one electric guitar one acoustic and one bass, I can't afford to replace any of them, if I lost them, I would feel lost.

#5 2010-03-18 23:47:19

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

geminishadow79 wrote:

I only have one flute, one electric guitar one acoustic and one bass, I can't afford to replace any of them, if I lost them, I would feel lost.

Donna... judging from your admirable approach to life, I think you'd get by just fine! cool lol

#6 2010-03-19 00:02:39

Moran from Planet X
Website

axolotl wrote:

What would you do if you broke that sucker irrevocably or lost it?

I'd be thrilled because I would have to buy a new one.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#7 2010-03-19 00:08:42

edosan
Edomologist

[Ooooh, nice job on the Popeye avi. That's an OLD Popeye. Very nice indeed.]

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#8 2010-03-19 00:16:45

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

edosan wrote:

[Ooooh, nice job on the Popeye avi. That's an OLD Popeye. Very nice indeed.]

Avatarbot must have worked overtime on that one!

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#9 2010-03-28 14:30:49

Bruce
Website

axolotl wrote:

A mutual friend of my wife's and me recently broke his violin--he's a professional Arabic violinist.  Naturally, he's heartbroken.  I was chatting with her about this and wondered whether he had insurance or not.

Her response was, "regardless, the violin is irreplaceable.  He'll never have that instrument back again."  The implication here was that no instrument would be as peerless.

I wonder about that.  There's something about spending a lot of time with one instrument, particularly instruments like violins and shakuhachi, that are so uniquely different, one from another,  that put you in tune with the attributes and shortcomings of the instrument.  Masa Yoshizawa lent me a Rampo hassun for about 8 years.  The flute had been a gift to him, so he couldn't sell it.  Given it was a really sweet flute, I was in no more hurry to replace it than he seemed to be to get it back.

Years later, when Masa died, and I was given the task of dealing with his instruments, I picked that Rampo up and playing it was like coming home.  I knew precisely how sharp the Chi was, and how much to correct, where my finger should be placed for the best otsu-no-tsu-no-meri, etc.  The flute eventually went back to its original owner.

If you have a good instrument, and you spend a lot of time with it, you develop a rapport with the instrument that cannot be replicated or replaced.  When you lose the instrument, you also lose the years you spent playing it.  You can put an equal number of years into the replacement, but they're not the same years.

Everything is perfect, it just needs a little improvement.
        - Suzuki Roshi

#10 2010-03-31 11:08:46

Vevolis
Website

If my flute broke, I'd send it to Perry! tongue

I deal mostly in synthesizers, so if my cold unfeeling Access Virus KC ever broke, I'd be heart broken at loosing a very expensive and expressive tool, but would be fine if I could afford to get an Access Virus TI.

Instruments are things, if you make a personal connection and takes on your soulful characteristics that's fine; like a hand crafted instrument, but under no circumstances should it consume any of your being.

The only instrument I ever think about on a daily basis is a rusted old Tuba with dents and dings all over, the side had been crushed to the point the pipe looked like a crescent moon instead of a tube. The reason is because I'd play it alongside $3-5000 instruments and it still sounded phenomenal. Clearly it was haunted by the person who loved it - to death. tongue

Last edited by Vevolis (2010-03-31 11:12:58)

Board footer