Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-03-31 10:46:59

Feltmaker

Why 38 Pieces

Hi, someone asked me the other day 'is there a particular spiritual significance to the number 38, in regard to there being 38 pieces in the traditional repertoire?'.  Does anyone know the answer to this?

#2 2010-03-31 11:26:47

Rick Riekert

Re: Why 38 Pieces

Felt, I'm not sure what you mean by "traditional repertoire", but I believe there are about 150 preserved traditional temple koten honkyoku if you include variations and derived pieces. The popular Kinko Ryu numbers 36 pieces with 3 later additions.

Last edited by Rick Riekert (2010-03-31 11:35:23)

Mastery does not lay in the mastery of technique, but in penetrating the heart of the music. However, he who has not mastered the technique will not penetrate the heart of the music.
~ Hisamatsu Fûyô

#3 2010-03-31 11:32:00

Feltmaker

Oh sorry - I mean 36 - I guess I am talking about the Kinko repertoire!  Perhaps he just managed to collect that number and there is nothing more significant than that?

#4 2010-03-31 11:51:22

Glenn Swann
Website

Feltmaker wrote:

Oh sorry - I mean 36 - I guess I am talking about the Kinko repertoire!  Perhaps he just managed to collect that number and there is nothing more significant than that?

only thing esoterically which MAY mean something i can think of is 36 is 1/3 of 108, thus a trinity of 36's equals 108, a very important buddhist number..... but i've never heard that as a reason for 36 kinko honkyoku

this is just interesting....
http://askville.amazon.com/unexpected-s … d=20060998

36 (thirty-six) is the natural number following 35 and preceding 37.

In mathematics
36 the square of 6 as well as a triangular number, making it a square triangular number, and also the only triangular number whose square root is also a triangular number. It is also a 13-gonal number.

It is the smallest number n with exactly 8 solutions to the equation φ(x) = n. Being the smallest number with exactly 9 divisors, 36 is a highly composite number. Adding up some subsets of its divisors (e.g., 6, 12 and 18) gives 36, hence 36 is a semiperfect number.

This number is the sum of a twin prime (17 + 19), and the sum of the cubes of the first three integers.

36 is the number of degrees in the interior angle of each tip of a regular pentagram.

The thirty-six officers problem is a mathematical puzzle.

The number of possible outcomes (not summed) in the roll of two distinct dice.

36 is the largest numeric base that some computer systems support because it exhausts the numerals, 0–9, and the letters, A–Z.

The truncated cube and the truncated octahedron are Archimedean solids with 36 edges.

In base 10, it is a Harshad number.

The number of domino tilings of a 4×4 checkerboard is 36.

Since it is possible to find sequences of 36 consecutive integers such that each inner member member shares a factor with either the first or the last member, 36 is an Erdős–Woods number.

Because 362 + 1 = 1297, a prime, which is obviously more than 2 × 36, 36 is a Størmer number.

The sum of the integers from 1 to 36 is 666.

Measurements
The number of inches in a yard.
In the UK, a standard beer barrel is 36 UK gallons, about 163.7 litres.
The number of barleycorns in an English foot.

In science
The atomic number of krypton
Many early computers featured a 36-bit word length
ASCII code for the symbol '$'

Astronomy
Messier object M36, a magnitude 6.5 open cluster in the constellation Auriga [5]
The New General Catalogue object NGC 36, a spiral galaxy in the constellation Pisces

In religion
Jewish tradition holds that the number 36 has had special significance since the beginning of time: According to the Midrash, the light created by God on the first day of creation shone for exactly 36 hours; it was replaced by the light of the Sun that was created on the Fourth Day. The Torah commands 36 times to love, respect and protect the stranger. Furthermore, in every generation there are 36 righteous people (the "Lamed Vav Tzadikim") in whose merit the world continues to exist. In the modern celebration of Hannukah, 36 candles are kindled in the menorah over the 8 days of that holiday (not including the shamash candle).

In one Māori legend, concerning the creation of mankind by the god Tāne, 36 gods took active part in assembling the various parts of the first human before Tāne breathed life into her.

In the arts, culture, and philosophy
36 Quai des Orfèvres, often referred to simply as 36, a French police film
The Thirty-Six Dramatic Situations are considered a useful conceptual aid in theater.
The Thirty-Six Stratagems are a collection of Chinese proverbs illustrating useful approaches to conflict situations.
Perfect score on the ACT.
In French-speaking countries, 36 is often used as a placeholder number.

In sports
Australian Basketball team The Adelaide 36ers.
Retired number of former baseball players Robin Roberts of the Phillies and Gaylord Perry of the Giants.
Retired number of former basketball player Lloyd Neal of the Portland Trail Blazers

I followed rivers, I followed orders,I followed prophets, I followed leaders
I followed rivers, I followed highways,I followed conscience,
I followed dreamers... And I'm back here,
and I'm back here... At the edge of the sky       (New Model Army)

#5 2010-03-31 12:00:16

Elliot K
Website

Uh, Glenn.....do we need to put you on decaf?

#6 2010-03-31 12:18:53

edosan
Edomologist

Alas, alack.

And blast.

Now I'm forced to concede by title of Search Nazi to Glenn, there's nothing for it, I'm afraid.

Should change the 'Nazi' part, perhaps. Doesn't seem to apply as well to him, somehow...

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#7 2010-03-31 12:50:50

Elliot K
Website

Oh, I just got it. 36 facts about 36.

Well played Glenn....... well......played.

#8 2010-03-31 13:35:17

Rick Riekert

Feltmaker wrote:

Perhaps he just managed to collect that number and there is nothing more significant than that?

Not likely given the rich history of shakuhachi folklore. It has been surmised that Mrs. Kurosawa may have been the determining factor behind the famous number 36. With Kinko I on the road for 3 years little Kinko II began to act up, sometimes using his father’s shakuhachi to beat and otherwise intimidate young children in the neighborhood. Although the exact chronology of events is unclear, the consensus of scholars and some ordinary folk suggests that this upheaval may have taken place in the early 1750s. Mrs. Kurosawa, fearing the worst for her husband’s beloved instruments, is said to have dispatched a messenger to the countryside with an urgent note for her husband to return home without delay. Immediately upon hearing the news Kinko I stuffed the 36 honkyoku in his saddlebag and rode back to town, never, alas, to resume his historical mission.

Mastery does not lay in the mastery of technique, but in penetrating the heart of the music. However, he who has not mastered the technique will not penetrate the heart of the music.
~ Hisamatsu Fûyô

#9 2010-04-01 08:16:13

ShakuhachiSarah

This is like the shakuhachi Da Vinci Code

Does anyone have an extra ma I can borrow? :-) Sarah Renata

Board footer