Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-08-13 17:28:30

PSTL

Ri meri inquiry

As a novice I find some of the fingering techniques to be a bit confusing. No surprise, right? 

For example, Ri meri is fingered just like Ha Chu meri. That's the way it looks to me on paper. I'm assuming the difference comes in either the head movement or angle of the flute?

I noticed this when I was looking at Tamuke.

I'm just guessing, but maybe this is why having a teacher is critical. The Shakuhachi has so many subtle sound capabilities that rely on the amount of breath, angle, and fingering. Someone has to be there to say, "That's it! Do it again!" roll

Is there's a DVD out there that can clearly show the notes, angles, and breath required to explain some of these advanced playing techniques? I'll throw in the "That's it! Do it again!"

Any help would be appreciated. As you know by now, there's not a teacher within 400 miles of Jacksonville, FLorida.

n

#2 2006-08-13 18:15:24

Ambi

Re: Ri meri inquiry

Hi from a fellow newbie!
Really the best source I've seen on  starting to pick it up and get noises and  much much more is http://www.japanworldmusic.com/hints.htm (as pointed out to me recently, cheers J).
Apart from that some creative Googling can bring up some Gems ... notably the archives (I assume) ancestors of this excellent site!
Enjoy
Relax

Ambi

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."

Board footer