Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-12-14 11:23:08

Scrambles

Hello from a shinobue player

Hello everyone, and thank you for this forum.

Yes, I play shinobue, not shakuhachi, however I have not found any online communities for shinobue players.  I started playing about a year ago, and recently got much more serious.  I play in a taiko group, and my taiko skills are improving to the point that I can now focus more on my flute playing.  All I can say is that I love it!  I can play for hours, and even though I'm fatigued and my playing is worse from it, I just can't put it down.

Does anyone else here play shinobue?

- Taiko nut -

#2 2007-12-14 18:10:25

axolotl
Website

Re: Hello from a shinobue player

skatefriday does!

#3 2010-04-27 22:24:01

fausto

scrambles, how did you get started? I'd love to know how I can start playing Shinobue

#4 2010-04-27 22:49:04

edosan
Edomologist

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#5 2010-04-27 23:06:45

Scrambles

fausto wrote:

scrambles, how did you get started? I'd love to know how I can start playing Shinobue

Just picked it up and started playing, really.  I got a plastic practice fue from Taiko Center, and later got a real fue from Mejiro in Japan (I've now got 5!).  I started with Kano Yasukazu's DVD, even though it's all in Japanese I still picked up a lot from it (A LOT).  Just keep practicing getting a clear sound, and follow the video as best you can.  Just keep at it!  I suppose someday I will take lessons from Kaoru Watanabe as well.

Mejiro has everything you would ever need, and are extremely helpful:

http://www.mejiro-japan.com/system/index_e.php

Cheers

- Taiko nut -

#6 2010-04-28 08:18:27

fausto

yeah I was a skeptical since it was all in Japanese and I don't know how to speak japanese (if only it was in chinese!!), and since I've never played a flute I didn't think it would really help, but edosan likes posting links to google searches that I've already conducted =P so I think I'll take his and your advice and just get the japanese DVD and try and play along.  But yeah I've actually met Kaoru Watanabe, he's a good guy.  I'm also a student of taiko, we were supposed to have Kenny Endo, Kaoru Watanabe, and other famous taiko drummers come to our university in Ohio, but $10,000 plus the cost of housing and food, we weren't able to pull enough funds.

Board footer