Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-04-25 07:15:33

Riley Lee
Website

Yokoyama Katsuya 1934-2010

I wrote the following for the Australian Shakuhachi Society's Newsletter.

Yokoyama Katsuya 1934-2010.

I can’t remember when I first met Yokoyama-sensei. I think it was in 1972.  I was introduced to him after a concert of his in Tokyo. How gracious this already famous, shakuhachi master was to yet another adoring shakuhachi beginner!

Shortly thereafter, my friend and long time student of Yokoyama, Ichirô Seki took me with him to Yokoyama-sensei’s Tokyo apartment for a lesson day. I was in seventh heaven for many days thereafter, not caring that he had praised my old Gyokusui 2.4 flute infinitely more than he had my playing of it.

After that, I had lessons with Yokoyama whenever I could. But I was rarely where Yokoyama was, so I never had enough. In 1984, after tiring of hearing me bemoan that I was not able to study regularly with Yokoyama, Patricia suggested that I ask him to come to Hawai'i to teach me. What!?! How could I possibly ask that, and how unlikely he would agree!!!

But Patricia patiently reminded me that I wouldn't know until I asked. So I finally did.

To my amazement, Yokoyama-sensei responded positively, saying that he needed to finish writing a book (his autobiographical "Shakuhachi no Miryoku", The Fascination of the Shakuhachi - the only book in Japanese that I have read cover to cover). He thought that stopping over in Hawai'i for a week on his way home from an upcoming mainland USA tour would be perfect for this task. He'd teach me several hours a day and spend the rest of the time writing, with no other distractions. Wow! I owe Patricia big time!!

My treasure trove of Yokoyama memories is miniscule compared with that of his more regular permanent students, especially Furuya, Kakizakai and Matama. And yet, I am satiated with the rich experiences that I have shared with Yokoyama-sensei and with the inspiration and teachings that he has given me. He was that generous.

This week, I had to inform a mutual friend of Yokoyama-sensei’s death. The 84 year-old Japanese lady immediately responded by saying something like, “Well then, it’s now up to you lot, the next generation, to insure that Yokoyama’s art continues to inspire!”

So true!

Here is a photo of Yokoyama's students playing San'ya (his request) at today's wake in Tokyo, sent by Christopher Blasdel.

http://www.rileylee.net/images/yokoyama_wake.jpg

Last edited by Riley Lee (2010-04-25 07:17:12)

#2 2010-04-25 10:22:06

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Re: Yokoyama Katsuya 1934-2010

Thanks for sharing the photo (also to Christopher) and also nice to hear your story with Yokoyama sensei. smile

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#3 2010-04-25 20:31:42

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Thanks Riley, very moving.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#4 2010-04-25 21:28:39

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

Thanks for the story of time spent with Yokoyama sense.  Several years ago Yokoyama sensei himself made a similar comment to that of the 84 year old lady in your story to us, his students at Bisei; how it was up to us to take the music we learned there, the honkyoku in particular, first to learn it so well that it became our own music, and then to pass it along, keep it going.

Last edited by Daniel Ryudo (2010-04-25 21:34:56)

#5 2010-04-26 05:05:17

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Thank you Riley for your stories. I'm just home now from Yokoyama-sensei's funeral. We played Sanya and Tamuke all together, and at various times of the day we could hear Yokoyama-sensei's own recordings playing. It was a moving ceremony with so many students, friends and family there. Certainly Yokoyama-sensei lives on in our memories and in all he taught so many people, so generously, both for music and for living life in general.

#6 2010-04-26 15:25:48

Nyogetsu
Kyu Dan Dai Shihan
Website

Thank You Riley.
I have many memories of Yokoyama-Sensei, and I will always cherish them.

The magic's in the music and the music's in me...
"Do you believe in Magic"- The Lovin' Spoonful

#7 2010-04-26 23:57:05

bill

Dear All,
I attended Yokoyama Senseis funeral yesterday.  It was a very emotional send off.

I estimate more than 200 people were present, apparently many more were at the wake the night before.
Yokoyama Sensei's wife, daughters and grandchildren were there, along with many professional musicians he has taught or worked with over the years, and many of his amateur deshi like myself.

One of his grandchildren played a saxophone solo very nicely, I am sure he would have been very proud.
The assembled deshi played San Ya (山谷) during the ceremony and then Tamuke as the entourage prepared to take his body to the cremation place.
The performances were very moving (I'm sure he would have had some criticisms though!)..

A fellow Deshi and good friend had visited Sensei in late January.  He said that Sensei was in pain and seemed weary of being a burden to his carers, his beloved family.
Yokoyama Sansei died in hospital on the afternoon of Wednesday the 21st April, surrounded by his family and his deshi Matama San, Furuya San and Kakizakai San.
He is free of the pain and his body now.

For myself I prefer to remember my visits to Yokoyama Sensei's lesson place in Nakano Diamond Mansions.
He was a very gifted teacher, he gave me so much encouragement, as well as hard criticism at times.
One time he fell asleep (with loud snoring) during my attempted rendition of Koku to the great amusement of all the senpai deshi present, I finished the piece (of course) and when he awoke there ensued an amusing debate about whether this was a compliment or not; Sensei gracefully insisted it was a compliment!
I remember leaving his lesson place on a real high most of the time, some of the happiest moments in my life (to date... I'm always optimistic!) the highlight of my life and studies in Japan at that time.

It was a great privilege to have had an opportunity to study with Yokoyama Sensei, he leaves behind him a great legacy having influenced so many players around the world.  Also he leaves a deal of resources for us to study, many great recordings, and also his Hon Kyoku study videos.

I have not heard what the plans are for the 'Chiku Shin Kai' his school, or for the International Shakuhachi Kenshukan. If I hear anything before I read it here, I will post again.

There's a full moon on the 28th, I will be pouring a glass of sake on my veranda and playing Tamuke for Sensei on my favourite long flute.

Kind regards to all.
Bill

#8 2010-04-27 00:01:21

edosan
Edomologist

Thanks, Bill. That was lovely.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#9 2010-04-27 12:17:22

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Thank you, Bill - also for writing on the European list.
It was lovely to read your account of the funeral and your experiences with Yokoyama sensei. As far as I remember you have studied with him for a long time... so it must have been a very moving 'send off' (kokubetsushiki).
Your account help us who couldn't be there to get a sense of the ceremony.
Thank you!

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#10 2010-04-29 18:25:18

Paul Kastner
Bosstweeds
Website

I attended both the wake and sokubetsushiki.  It was extremely moving.  We played Tamuke as they carried his casket to the hearse.  It had more meaning at that moment than all the 1000's of time I had played it before.  I had spent an enormous amount of time with Yokoyama-sensei between 1976 to 1990, and will cherish those experiences.
(I will post some stories later with some photos and please everyone post yours too)

He was a wonderfully approachable person,  open minded and always patient with us, his deshi.  I think Bill, he pretended to fall asleep and that he gave you a great compliment.  That happened to me once when I was learning Shingetsu: after I finished he woke up and graduated me to the next Honkyoku.  I had been working on it for months but he would never advance me to the next one.

I loved him and will sorely miss him.  Because of him so many people all over the world have been touched by his unique sound...but it was his great heart that produced it. 
Sensei; we will miss you.

Board footer