You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-05-08 01:44:56

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Wacky video of Mujitsu on Japanese TV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpEH3ycr3xM

I love the goofy voice they use to translate him.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#2 2010-05-08 02:43:54

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Re: Wacky video of Mujitsu on Japanese TV

Tairaku wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpEH3ycr3xM

This is fantastic!   lol
I also love the goofy voice used to translate Ken - but also the way he speaks! VERY masculine! wink
Ken, wow! You are VERY photogenic! You should hit Hollywood!

Ken, tell us the tale. How did this come about? It's great your work is shown.

I didn't quite get the last of the 3 points.... or perhaps I did and just didn't find it funny....???

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#3 2010-05-08 02:55:23

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Kiku, roughly what were they saying about him?

And more importantly did they tackle the thorny topic of jiari vs. jinashi? wink

#4 2010-05-08 09:35:19

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Kiku Day wrote:

Ken, tell us the tale. How did this come about?

One of the shows production companies from Los Angeles contacted me about this a few months ago. It was a fun day. The crew has a good sense of humor!

A funny thing is that Jim Thompson had just arrived in Japan, flipped on the TV in his hotel room and was surprised to see the segment as it aired. He wrote me asking, "How far do I have to go to get away from these mugs?" lol

#5 2010-05-10 07:29:18

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Tairaku wrote:

Kiku, roughly what were they saying about him?

They say that Ken is America's no 1 bamboo 'mania' (they use the English word mania but it is better translated with enthusiast or aficionado).
He collects mostly Japanese madake and some of the bamboo cost up to ¥20.000 and some are as old as 35 years.

Then the announcer continues to ask the question: 'What is he doing?'. It is built up as a suspense. What IS this man doing with all these pieces of bamboo?????

Then they explain ’there is a shakuhachi boom in America’!To which the people in the studio really get surprised.

It is written on the board at the end in the studio 幻の尺八と言われる由緑 (maboroshi no shakuhachi to iwareru yuryoku) I actually don't know how to translate this.... but it has something to do with the important things for Ken when he makes his shakuhachi.

1) 産地にこだわる (he is fussy [or concerned] about the area where the bamboo has grown). They explain that Ken goes to Nagano to harvest his bamboo.

2) 伝統にこだわる (he is concerned and very particular about the tradition). They here make a joke about that Ken has been in Japan and made shakuhachi with Kodama because the fat guy in the front row's name is Kodama as well. Then the announcer explains that Kodama makes traditional flutes and his speciality is a warm tone colour.

3) 体の調子がちょっと悪い ([he is] physically not so strong or he is not so well).... I don't understand this point, but they say Ken is not so strong physically, so he can't mass produce shakuhachi but he takes his time to work on each shakuhachi... Don't really get why this is funny...roll

Japanese TV has since a very long time been entertainment in the word's worst sense. I have been a coordinator for many Japanese TV productions shot in Scandinavia... and all these programmes - no matter how good material they shoot - have been turned into stupid entertainment.
This programme is no exception. But never-the-less I think the portrait of Ken as a bamboo aficionado is quite nice! So good for you, Ken and for Mujitsu shakuhachi. I am glad to see it on youtube and thanks for posting, Tairaku!

And as I already said I didn't know Ken was this photogenic! smile

Thanks for the background story as well, Ken! And really funny that Jim saw this on TV when he arrived in Japan! Must have been a blast!

Last edited by Kiku Day (2010-05-10 07:50:14)

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#6 2010-05-10 12:02:06

Jim Thompson

The program I saw in Japan was different than this one Brian posted. It was the same footage but edited quite differently and with no goofy factor. It was presented more as informational than as entertainment and the Ken footage was far more extensive. Ken, I wonder if you can track it down through the production people. You might want to see it as I think you would like it better. Although I didn't understand what they were saying the presentation seemed more straight ahead. Ken's photogenic qualities are even more apparent in the version I saw. Kiku, you are right. It was a hoot to see Ken and Michael when I was so far from home.

" Who do you trust , me or your own eyes?" - Groucho Marx

#7 2010-05-10 17:12:08

Moran from Planet X
Website

Tairaku wrote:

Ken, I think you should cultivate all of the qualities of the translator's voice and speak like that in everyday life.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#8 2010-05-10 17:38:11

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

I guess they used the footage for a straight documentary and then regurgitated it for a stupid show as well.

#9 2010-05-10 19:54:00

Jam

Japanese television makes me want to hack out my innards through my stomach with an ice pick.

#10 2010-05-11 04:58:26

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

Thanks for the video footage; it was cool to see you Ken, and your enthusiasm for making shakuhachi.  I agree with Kiku in that it's a shame that almost everything on Japanese TV seems to be put in the stupid gameshow format.  I don't watch much TV myself my kids often have it on...  I'd like to see the original version that Jim mentioned.

#11 2010-05-11 11:25:18

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Kiku Day wrote:

3) 体の調子がちょっと悪い ([he is] physically not so strong or he is not so well).... I don't understand this point, but they say Ken is not so strong physically, so he can't mass produce shakuhachi but he takes his time to work on each shakuhachi... Don't really get why this is funny...roll

They were probably referring to a story I told them about harvesting extra wide bamboo with Kodama. I was spent at the end of the day and Kodama showed no signs of fatigue. He's an animal!

Jim Thompson wrote:

The program I saw in Japan was different than this one Brian posted. It was the same footage but edited quite differently and with no goofy factor. It was presented more as informational than as entertainment and the Ken footage was far more extensive. Ken, I wonder if you can track it down through the production people. You might want to see it as I think you would like it better.

That's interesting Jim. Thanks. I'll see what I can come up with.

Tairaku wrote:

I guess they used the footage for a straight documentary and then regurgitated it for a stupid show as well.

I checked out a few episodes of the show before they came by. So, I was prepared for the goofy factor. It made it easier to go along with the story lines.... bamboo on the back, etc. Got to read the room!

It would be interesting to see the straight documentary though. There was plenty of less entertaining but more informative flutemaking involved.

#12 2010-05-11 12:49:01

Jim Thompson

Mujitsu wrote:

That's interesting Jim. Thanks. I'll see what I can come up with.

It aired 4/16 nationally. Hope that helps.

" Who do you trust , me or your own eyes?" - Groucho Marx

Board footer