Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-08-19 01:55:03

nomaD43

Sanya Sugagaki notation

Hello, I am trying to re-learn Sanya Sugagaki, which I have not played in more than 6 or 8 years and only then with my teacher David Duncavage. The sheet music I now have is a copy of a copy of a copy........ and is quite difficult to read. I would really like to be able to play this piece again as I quite enjoyed it in the past. I do have Yoshio Kurahashi's CD that features Sanya Sugagaki on it, but I'm not sure if the version he is playing is slightly different than what I can make out of the sheet music I have, or if I am just reading a smudged "chi" as a smeared "i", or it could even be a "ro" that has been blotted.
If anyone has a legible copy of this piece, preferably Kinko notation (the same version that Kurahashi-sensei is playing would make life easier), or a source that I can purchase from (preferably in the US) I would be most appreciative.
I am trying to get motivated to start playing again, after a long hiatus and have forgotten how to play most of the pieces I have been taught and now I have no teacher to sit down with and learn. Also my self-discipline has waned and it is difficult to press myself to practice, work full-time, go to school full-time, eat, sleep, bathe, do homework, periodically clean, keep up with this site and the other 3-4 forums I regularly follow. It doesn't help that I also have to try and remember the fingerings for some of the notes, and remember what some of the more obscure notational marks mean. ARGGGHHH!! Why couldn't I have just stayed focussed and continued playing after moving away from my teacher?
Any how, thank  you for reading my ranting babble and I hope I can get some assistance in decoding my blotches and smears into some semblance of a playable piece of music.
Damon

#2 2006-08-19 09:09:58

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Sanya Sugagaki notation

Damon,

I have a good copy of the Sanya Sugagaki score, but it is the duet version, as played on two flutes of the same length. It is not identical to the solo version; although the phrases are the same in both pieces, they are arranged in a slightly different order. If I were to post the duet version, with a bit of study and listening, it should be possible to come up with notation for the solo piece as played by Kurahashi.

The definitive rendering (same notation as that by Kurahashi) of Sanya Sugagaki on a recording is by Yoshikazu Iwamoto, on his album 'The Spirit of Silence' (Buda Records). So ethereal.

It's also enjoyable to play the duet piece, as it has some fine harmonies in it. There is a good version by John Singer and Kohmei Mizuno: 'Zen Shakuhachi Duets' (Blue Phoenix Music, 1992).

eB

Last edited by edosan (2006-08-25 00:18:12)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

Board footer